The article about Vodafone UK launching the z10 almost immediately on the Crackberry home page has a copy of the internal Vodafone note and it says that BB10 no longer needs a Blackberry SOC and can be placed on a regular smartphone plan.

Does this mean BIS is not needed any more?

Isn't this huge news or am I missing something? One of Blackberry's key messages has always been how data efficient they were due to BIS. Does this go now? Maybe in the era of all you can eat data it doesn't matter any more, especially as we had to pay approximately �5pm to RIM for the privilege.
    01-29-13 04:08 AM
    I think it's huge too. Can't understand why someone hasn't stepped up to explain/clarify it. Is it a Vodafone UK thing or something much bigger?
    01-29-13 04:15 AM
    I think it's huge too. Can't understand why someone hasn't stepped up to explain/clarify it. Is it a Vodafone UK thing or something much bigger?
    It must be something much bigger. The silence from the Crackberry team is very interesting. Hands up who thinks they have signed NDAs to give them the inside track on tomorrow's launch so they can prepare articles in advance and therefore cannot comment on this huge piece of news in advance?
    cyberwombat likes this.
    01-29-13 04:23 AM
    I am very sure there is a big announcement coming concerning this. News articles are hinting at this for the last week too.
    01-29-13 04:38 AM
    I am under NDA with RIM and they are even not sharing it with me. All lips a tight until tomorrow.
    I do have a running BB10 and BES10 so I do know the answer from a "trial and error" approach.

Just as Team CrackBerry, I do my best to honor the NDA and other "internal information", so you have to stay tuned for tomorrow. It is just like kids and Christmas - waiting is a part of the experience :-)
    As most of you, I hope RIM will have great success with BB10. They sure have learned their lesson and it has been a pleasure to work with them during the last few years: Listening to customers, partners and moving in the right direction. I wish RIM all the best!
    01-29-13 05:06 AM
    I just read an article on the Financial Times which has the following quote:

"Mr Heins has also conceded that the valuable services revenues RIM derives from the BlackBerry network are probably unsustainable. Network operators want RIM to lower the prices it charges to handle BlackBerry data."

RIM really relies on that service income, it's what has kept it afloat while it developed BB10. That sounds like a huge change to their business model, if true.
    01-29-13 05:07 AM
    In South Africa the following recent article has this to say: BlackBerry 10: the end of uncapped BIS in SA?
    01-29-13 05:15 AM
    So apparently it will be just like Dev Alphas, only "internet" APN, and everything is accessible via Wi-Fi..
    01-29-13 05:32 AM
    In South Africa the following recent article has this to say: BlackBerry 10: the end of uncapped BIS in SA?
    Which gives me another thought. I have 6 months to run on my Blackberry contract with O2. I am highly likely to crack early and buy a Z10, but it sounds like my existing contract won't be any use anyway. Oh dear!
    01-29-13 05:40 AM
    this has been covered before. an interview with th revealed optional tiers.
    the more you pay, the more services you get.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    01-29-13 07:18 AM
    this has been covered before. an interview with th revealed optional tiers.
    the more you pay, the more services you get.

I must have missed that one
    01-29-13 07:24 AM