Went to Apple store to check out iPhone 5 today, very nice looking phone, nice screen, all is nice and dandy but when i picked it up it lost that appeal completely. It is WWWAAAAYYYY to light, it felt like I picked up piece of plastic that has nothing inside of it, basically it felt like a toy. I hope that RIM makes L series heavier than iPhone 5 is. weight of 9900 for me is perfect, when you hold it it feels like there is something there.
    I have my fingers crossed.

Do you guys relate?
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-23-12 06:17 PM
    I'm with you on that...I absolutely hate this trend towards "thinner" and "lighter"...it feels awkward to hold these super thin and super light devices up to your ear...I want it to feel well-built and solid.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-23-12 06:26 PM
    TIL theres apparently a point where things get "too light".
    09-23-12 06:30 PM
    I too thought it felt too light. Perhaps using it for a couple of weeks you might find your old device too heavy. The good thing about a lighter device is that if it falls it does not fall as hard so less broken screens and scratches.
    09-23-12 06:48 PM
    Also need to factor in the weight of the Otterbox (or other) protective case.

The weight of the phone plus the case is what should be judged, especially with the fragility of a full touchscreen surface.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using The Crackberry Forums App
    09-23-12 07:04 PM
    I too thought it felt too light. Perhaps using it for a couple of weeks you might find your old device too heavy. The good thing about a lighter device is that if it falls it does not fall as hard so less broken screens and scratches.
    Well yes but in the end it all comes down to the way the phone was made, iPhone 4S is lighter than Torch but they crack way more. Apple doesn't make phones to be durable but flashy, and props to them for making a phone that people fall in love with so much that they just buy new one and break that one too and then buy new one again lol. RIM really makes their phones to be durable and I hope they maintain those standards in the future.
    09-23-12 07:06 PM
    I previously had the 9800 and that phone is HEAVY. The weight of the 9900 is just perfect for me.
    09-23-12 09:55 PM
    Well yes but in the end it all comes down to the way the phone was made, iPhone 4S is lighter than Torch but they crack way more. Apple doesn't make phones to be durable but flashy, and props to them for making a phone that people fall in love with so much that they just buy new one and break that one too and then buy new one again lol. RIM really makes their phones to be durable and I hope they maintain those standards in the future.
    My Blackberry Storm took a beating. Not sure if it was purposely engineered, but when it did take a fall the back cover and battery would pop out. Not sure if this really minimized any of the damage. I did eventually break the screen. So in 1.5 years one broken screen with a Blackberry and 1 broken screen in 2 years with an iPhone.

I do agree with you that Apple puts a greater priority on appearance over durability. Still, a lighter phone means less impact if it falls, and therefore less cracked screens.
    09-23-12 10:18 PM
    Yes but less weight means thiner material, on the other hand more weight means thicker material, proportionally chances of breaking are same.
    09-23-12 10:33 PM
    I do agree with you that Apple puts a greater priority on appearance over durability. Still, a lighter phone means less impact if it falls, and therefore less cracked screens.
    Is not as black and white as this. Physics is physics and the phone still drops just as fast and hard as the older heavier versions. Now, the impact of the extra weight pushing more force against the surface that hits the ground first MAY have a stronger impact than the lighter phone, but it would be minimal.
    mithrazor and 00stryder like this.
    09-23-12 10:49 PM
    god forbid the iclones pick up anything heavier than a piece of paper.the reason i like my blackberry is that i always remembered it was on my lap when i was about to stand up. all these phones are becoming so light. look good but weigh nothing. terrible.
    09-23-12 10:52 PM
    It's reminds me of how I felt when the iPad 2 came out and my wife brought me home one. Apple was so proud of how thin the iPad 2 was and my first thought when I first held it was that the iPad was actually too thin to hold securely while using it. I eventually put a case on it to make it thicker and it felt much better.

Who knows, maybe Apple actually deserves more credit than we give them, and maybe they actually designed the iPad 2 and iPhone 5 to be the perfect size and weight WITH a case on them....
    09-23-12 10:54 PM
    Is not as black and white as this. Physics is physics and the phone still drops just as fast and hard as the older heavier versions. Now, the impact of the extra weight pushing more force against the surface that hits the ground first MAY have a stronger impact than the lighter phone, but it would be minimal.
    Actually, it can be quite a difference. Let's take for examples the 9800 and iPhone 4S. The 9800 has a mass of 0.116kg, and the iPhone 4S has a mass of 0.140kg. The difference in mass between the two objects is roughly 20%, so that means the normal forces acting upon the iPhone 4S would be 20% greater than on the 9800 when both objects are dropped from the exact same height onto a solid surface. This can be verified by using the formula for gravitational potential energy: mass x gravity x height.
    Of course, that's not taking into account air resistance, and it also does not take into account the fact that the 9800 battery and door can pop off. That means a lot of the force will be absorbed and carried off by the parts flying off the phone, instead of it taking the full brunt. Imagine someone running into a solid brick wall, and now imagine someone else running into a brick wall with a few loose bricks that go flying off upon impact. Which of these idiots would have the more severe brain damage?
    09-23-12 11:27 PM
    god forbid the iclones pick up anything heavier than a piece of paper.the reason i like my blackberry is that i always remembered it was on my lap when i was about to stand up. all these phones are becoming so light. look good but weigh nothing. terrible.
    To be clear: you like your blackberry because its heavier than an iPhone, therefore helping you remember it's on your lap before you stand up?? Sound reasoning I guess. Although your wrong in your assessment of Iclones and their not wanting to lift anything heavy. But hey! It's your argument... Right?

Piece of paper (8 1/2 x11): .16 ounce
    iPhone 5: 3.95 ounce
    iPhone 4S: 4.9 ounce
    iPhone 4: 4.8 ounce
    BB9900: 4.95 ounce
    BB9810: 5.68 ounce
    BB9800: 5.68 ounce
    BB9700: 4.3 ounce

Looks,like your assessment is flawed. The iPhone has remained fairly consistent in weight to the BB9900 and actually weigh more than your BB9700 listed in your signature. Outside of the 9800-9810, there isn't a huge difference. And to be clear, ALL versions of the iPhone have weighed much more than a peice of paper.
    Last edited by sallenthornton; 09-23-12 at 11:47 PM.
    09-23-12 11:43 PM
    Personally, I was very impressed with the design of the iP5. Amazing looks and surprisingly thin. I give them credit....but I've said it before and I'll say it again...I would love for RIM to take a page out of motorola's book and stuff a huge battery in their devices. I would take a thicker device with a bigger battery than a super thin device ANY DAY. Thin is nice but matters none once I can't use my phone. Let's see if RIM lives up to the battery life they are known for with the first round of BB10 devices
    09-23-12 11:54 PM
    i wouldn't mind if they beefed up the size/weight of the thing to jack up the battery size in there.

add like 2 or 3mm for an extra 6-12 hours of battery life would be awesome.
    09-24-12 01:58 AM
    ^^exactly. If RIM optimizes BB10 like the did BBOS.....couple that with that with 2500 mAh batteries and these things will be absolute tanks when it comes to battery life
    09-24-12 06:22 AM
    weight is defently a factor for buying it. all i have to say is "noisy cricket" LOL.
    09-24-12 09:07 AM
    ^^exactly. If RIM optimizes BB10 like the did BBOS.....couple that with that with 2500 mAh batteries and these things will be absolute tanks when it comes to battery life
    Didn't the 9900 have lackluster battery life? Was that fixed in a latter OS update?
    09-24-12 12:04 PM
    Lackluster.....yeah u can say that but I'm just stating my opinion. Others feel the 9900 gets great battery life but I just feel it's "ok". Then again, for such a small battery, it does last about as long as some other newer androids out now.

Point being....if RIM wouldve thrown a 2100+ mAh battery into the 9900....i doubt many phones out now could compete with it based on battery life.
    09-24-12 03:47 PM
    Didn't the 9900 have lackluster battery life? Was that fixed in a latter OS update?
    One of the updates definitely fixed it, big time. When I first got the 9930 on release day, the battery died before the end of the day. Now I finish the day with about 40-50% charge everyday. My battery has not died in about 6-8 months, and that includes a 3 day camping trip with at most 30 minutes of charging.
    09-25-12 08:27 AM
    I don't understand how come no one with a Dev Alpha or a Dev Alpha B weighed the devices until now?

Sure, this isn't the final hardware but I'm sure the weight would be pretty damn close upon release. Also, there seems to be speculation that the actual BB10 hardware is simply cased in the Dev Alpha devices.

I'm just curious
    Last edited by Vector-SS; 09-27-12 at 04:25 AM.
    09-27-12 04:22 AM
    iPhone 4S has the perfect weight
    09-27-12 09:41 PM
    Weight does make a difference! I think if the phone is really light, it will more likely be dropped.. It's kinda weird that the weight of a phone would be a factor, but it is. Phone must have some girth!! Just makes it feel that much more legit!
    09-27-12 10:05 PM
    would a cover make it a little heavier?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk
    09-30-12 07:44 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD