Needs plastic surgery, honestly if it looked anything like BlackBerry London the rendered image we saw in January I'd be over the moon. But the easily breakable (looking) plastic and dull cheap looking buttons doesn't do much for me. Reckoned the body would be solid and durable and the buttons be made of black anodised aluminium. I know its too early for any sort of judgement, but still by the looks of it it is disappointing.
    09-20-12 08:14 PM
    Needs plastic surgery, honestly if it looked anything like BlackBerry London the rendered image we saw in January I'd be over the moon. But the easily breakable (looking) plastic and dull cheap looking buttons doesn't do much for me. Reckoned the body would be solid and durable and the buttons be made of black anodised aluminium. I know its too early for any sort of judgement, but still by the looks of it it is disappointing.
    i hat to tell you on a phone modern day plastics are better then aluminum, the shoch through the solid alumin chassis puts more stress on the internals and the glass screen then the soft rugged plastics that have some give when bounced and take some of the shock away. don't buy into Apple tellign you that their solid aluminum design is stronger, its a sales gimick to oh and ah buyers. nokias are some of the strongest phones on the market and they are polycarbonate as are many of the current BBs which are built like tanks, the only BBs with aluminum trim are the bolds and this the structure is poly and more rugged then if it was machined aluminum
    meganVee likes this.
    09-20-12 08:37 PM
    that does NOT look like a tear-down at all; looks more like the spare parts you find on eb@y... more like a supplier leak than anything else.

The blue protective film is the give away- why would the film be ON? If the phone was disassembled, there would be no protective film on it.... and the screw holes would NOT be sealed.

This is a parts pic... not a "we opened it up" pic.

thumbs down.... #fail.
    Wouldn't a review of a WORKING device, the apps, performance, etc, be a lot more interesting to everybody than a teardown? So it does have me thinking that this is actually a "buildup", assembled by ordering all the kibbles and bits available from the dealextreme.com and alibaba.coms of the world?
    09-20-12 10:15 PM
    With the Kodak patent lawsuit behind them I bet RIM can really lean into the functions of their cameras? sounds like it here. Looking forward to it.
    09-21-12 03:20 AM
    Damn that is nice.
    09-21-12 03:57 AM
    in the 2nd photo you can see his fingers through translucent blue material. What on earth could that be. And if this was an actual tear down we would surely know what cpu was in it by now. Im skeptical if this was an actual working L series
    09-21-12 04:05 AM
    S4 Pro is a RUMOR, not a fact. More likely we'll see the S4 and not the pro variant.
    Well I'm just going off what pretty much every well respected blackberry website is saying so I'm inclined to believe it but if u have a link to show otherwise I'll be more than happy to read it
    09-21-12 04:50 AM
    Well I'm just going off what pretty much every well respected blackberry website is saying so I'm inclined to believe it but if u have a link to show otherwise I'll be more than happy to read it

Every respected Blackberry site says its a RUMOR, not a FACT.

Seeing as the S4 is still a strong performer (and is shipping in every new Windows Phone 8 device announced recently), it's no stretch to believe it's more likely we'll see that.
    09-21-12 05:55 AM
    I don't really see what new WP8 devices shipping with the standard S4 has to do with a product that isn't coming out until Q1 of next year...I mean, someone eventually has to be the first to use a newer processor. LG has already started with its Optimus G and that's the quad core version the pro. I'm willing to be there will be a android or 2 that is released with the dual core processor version between now and Q1
    09-21-12 12:19 PM

Seeing as the S4 is still a strong performer (and is shipping in every new Windows Phone 8 device announced recently), it's no stretch to believe it's more likely we'll see that.
    You may also see something like an OMAP5 for everywhere but the US, and S4 for US like on the GS3, or OMAP5 for everything. Remember the OMAP5 is a pin for pin replacement of the OMAP4, and backwards compatible software wise with the OMAP4 too, and the DevAlpha and Playbooks are running OMAP4 processors. I'd much rather see the OMAP5 with the dual A15 cores for high end processing and dual M4 cores for low end processing than the S4 because I feel the OMAP is technically superior, but I won't be disappointed if the S4 is the solution either. Plus just about every new phone being announced is the S4, and Qualcomm is having issues meeting demand because of issue with the 28nm manufacturing process (TI is having same issues), so going to an OMAP5 might be beneficial in that respect too.
    Rello and masqueofhastur like this.
    09-21-12 01:55 PM
    the OMAP5 won't be ready in time for BB10s launch

and which S4 chip are you talking about sir? Play,Plus,Pro, or Prime?

i have no doubts the Pro MSM8960T may be released, there are some that are with the release of the Pro APQ8064 though, mainly the fact that it doesn't have an integrated cell Radio which would defeat the process of battery efficiancy that its bean said RIM is going for and seriously so would using the OMAP4 that the LTE playbook and dev alpha are using, its just to much of a pig
    Last edited by GTiLeo; 09-21-12 at 03:00 PM.
    09-21-12 02:51 PM
    You may also see something like an OMAP5 for everywhere but the US, and S4 for US like on the GS3, or OMAP5 for everything. Remember the OMAP5 is a pin for pin replacement of the OMAP4, and backwards compatible software wise with the OMAP4 too, and the DevAlpha and Playbooks are running OMAP4 processors. I'd much rather see the OMAP5 with the dual A15 cores for high end processing and dual M4 cores for low end processing than the S4 because I feel the OMAP is technically superior, but I won't be disappointed if the S4 is the solution either. Plus just about every new phone being announced is the S4, and Qualcomm is having issues meeting demand because of issue with the 28nm manufacturing process (TI is having same issues), so going to an OMAP5 might be beneficial in that respect too.
    I agree. I would love to see the OMAP5 in these new devices!!! I havent searched, but i would love to see some benchmarks against other leading chips to see how the OMAP5 compares

the OMAP5 won't be ready in time for BB10s launch

and which S4 chip are you talking about sir? Play,Plus,Pro, or Prime?

i have no doubts the Pro MSM8960T may be released, there are some that are with the release of the Pro APQ8064 though, mainly the fact that it doesn't have an integrated cell Radio which would defeat the process of battery efficiancy that its bean said RIM is going for and seriously so would using the OMAP4 that the LTE playbook and dev alpha are using, its just to much of a pig
    Im pretty sure he's talking about just the standard S4 like whats in the US version of the GS3

Are u sure about the OMAP5 not being ready? Last i heard is that it would be ready around the end of the year...
    09-21-12 04:01 PM
    @cmknight could end this processor discussion right now! So how about it @cmknight? What processor is the London using?
    09-21-12 05:23 PM
    Every mobile manufacturers announced their phone whether it ships end of the year, next year or unknown. RIM should announce BB10 next week in the JAM or earnings call. Let's nail a date down, so to shut the naysayers up!
    Apple announced their Iphone 5 last week and it's shipping this week.

Why can't RIM announce it January 10th and ship it January 17?
    09-21-12 08:17 PM
    I agree. I would love to see the OMAP5 in these new devices!!! I havent searched, but i would love to see some benchmarks against other leading chips to see how the OMAP5 compares

Im pretty sure he's talking about just the standard S4 like whats in the US version of the GS3

Are u sure about the OMAP5 not being ready? Last i heard is that it would be ready around the end of the year...
    What's in the GS3 is the S4 Plus, ready for the end of the year is right and to late for a. Phone that's said to be released in january/febuary. The hardware should be in production now so it won't really have the OMAP5
    09-21-12 09:03 PM
    What's in the GS3 is the S4 Plus, ready for the end of the year is right and to late for a. Phone that's said to be released in january/febuary. The hardware should be in production now so it won't really have the OMAP5
    Ooopps...I lumped the plus and play together when I said standard lol.

Well I hope that if this supposed "high end" model that is said to release in the middle of next year comes to be true, I hope it does come with the OMAP5 processor. I think that will be the next chip to bring excellent performance
    09-21-12 11:16 PM
    i hope these new phones and tablets get miracast support and also i have the s4 procceser in my htc one s and it runs great for now and it did not do a half bad job next to the s3 but the s3 is still over all alot faster at web browsing and gaming and its better at video playback then my one s ohh and i almost forgot my one s was overclocked to 1.8 ghz at the time off the test the s3 was stock everything i feel a quad core s4 will be a better buy then a duel core and yess please 2gb off ram pleaseeeeeeee
    09-22-12 06:55 PM
    It definately needs to be after the Ip5 crazy fever wears down
    09-22-12 09:04 PM
    Of course I'm biased!!
    Thanks for stating what I already knew.

The only reason I still hang out here is to read about the amusing people who hope their next BB can do half of what my current phone can do LOL.
    That's what annoys some of us here. This smug attitude that we somehow don't know other phones are out there with better capabilities in some areas than our Blackberry devices. Yet somehow I still find it within myself to be content with my BB-9930, even when on a regular basis my friends pullout there 4G-LTE Androids and outperform my 9930. I'm am still content with my choice. But that's amusing to you because your superior something has led you to pick a newer, higher engineered device. Well, LOL away then...

What is it with phones? People who drive Cadillac Escalades don't drop into my Chevy forum and find it amusing that I didn't pick a Cadillac over my Chevrolet. They don't tell me what a pile of junk my truck is, or how many more features their Cadillac has over my Z71. Why is it people find it so enthralling to do so over a person's choice of phone?

I used to love BB more than anyone.
    I wasn't that far off after all.....

EDIT;

FWIW, after having test drove and HTC Thunderbolt and returned it after 2 weeks, I feel I've earned the right to say this.
    I'm a BB FanBoy, happy for it, and still looking forward to BB10, and there's not a thing wrong with or amusing about that. Everybody gets the right to look forward to "the next new thing" without being looked as a circus side show for it.
    Last edited by ericdude; 09-25-12 at 12:53 PM.
    09-25-12 12:48 PM
    Of course I'm biased!! I used to love BB more than anyone. But I was like most BB fanboys...I loved BB, but didn't spend any real time with other devices. The only reason I still hang out here is to read about the amusing people who hope their next BB can do half of what my current phone can do LOL. There's a reason why every new BB device/OS is met with such maniacal enthusiasm.... because the current crop of BBs either suck or are just plain boring. BB users invaribly want something better than what they have ..... year after year.

The line in bold isn't really a reason. Replace "BB device/OS" with another phone/OS from Apple. Replace "BB device/OS" with another phone/OS from Android. Replace "BB device/OS" with another phone/OS from Microsoft. A lot of people here would want the latest and greatest from their smartphone platform of choice if possible. I would think that most of us are here on forums because we're interested in mobile tech, or that particular platform. There isn't a perfect OS/platform, there is always room for improvement. Simple as that.

The line that is underlined, certainly seem troll-ish to me. and saying you used to love BB doesn't justify anything. CrackBerry definitely welcomes people who are using other devices, or have switched platform. Some stayed behind to help out, or even correct misconception about other platforms. Which is great too, because more people can have the knowledge to make an informed decision about which platform is best for them. Its good for the community. But it seems like from this sentence you have very little respect for the platform, and even less respect for the community, when your reason for staying is just "to read about the amusing people who hope their next BB can do half of what my current phone can do LOL." That is not cool imo.

Here's a definition:
    It's a person who likes nothing better than to seek negative attention by stirring the pot. In the case of CrackBerry these days, you'll find these people are the ones who take a thread that's about one specific topic, and somehow turn it back onto a negative topic of the troll's choosing. They're the ones who drop a one line statement of BlackBerry negativity into a thread that was about something totally different, derailing the conversation and turning it into a pi$$ing match. When you look at the threads by a forum troll, you'll find the vast majority of them add little to no value to the CrackBerry community. Sure they're making posts and chiming in here or there, but it's really of no value. They're not helping anybody, and they're not adding anything to the conversation that hasn't already been heard by everyone, as they've already trolled it out there every chance they've had. Instead of adding value to the forums, they aim to undo the forums.
    ---

Saying negative things about BB are fine, there is definitely things that I hope was better on my BB. But i also hoped that there are things that i hope was better on my Android, iOS, and WP devices. And of course each platform has their own merits and good points as well, there are definitely lots of things i like from all the platform.
    09-25-12 03:55 PM
    i hat to tell you on a phone modern day plastics are better then aluminum, the shoch through the solid alumin chassis puts more stress on the internals and the glass screen then the soft rugged plastics that have some give when bounced and take some of the shock away. don't buy into Apple tellign you that their solid aluminum design is stronger, its a sales gimick to oh and ah buyers. nokias are some of the strongest phones on the market and they are polycarbonate as are many of the current BBs which are built like tanks, the only BBs with aluminum trim are the bolds and this the structure is poly and more rugged then if it was machined aluminum
    I didnt say the body needs to be aluminum, i said the buttons..and i dont mind body being plastic just not easily breakable...you've miscontrued what i said... and I'm not an Apple fanboy
    10-05-12 10:28 PM
96 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD