I doubt that the apps alone cause those sucky battery and increased data usage. I think it has to do with bb protect. Once signed on bb account, the phone backs up it self of photos, picture, audio, video, memo, calendar, bbm, contacts, etc to the cloud server without notifying the customer.

Here is one article mentioning it: RIM Uses The Cloud To Protect BlackBerry Devices | SaaS (Software as a Service) content from Talkin' Cloud

I wonder how is the privacy protected
    That's not how BlackBerry Protect works on the Z10 right now.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-13 04:12 AM
    Yes that is not how Blackberry Protect works for the Z10.

I doubt that the apps alone cause those sucky battery and increased data usage. I think it has to do with bb protect. Once signed on bb account, the phone backs up it self of photos, picture, audio, video, memo, calendar, bbm, contacts, etc to the cloud server without notifying the customer.

Here is one article mentioning it: RIM Uses The Cloud To Protect BlackBerry Devices | SaaS (Software as a Service) content from Talkin' Cloud

I wonder how is the privacy protected
    04-01-13 09:15 AM
    So to update....

As of right now the phone seems to be back to normal. Battery and Data usage seems to be back to normal.

As the last 4-5 things I did with those phone, it seems as though on my end it might have been either Blackberry Travel or Facebook update. So far there is no issues. I deleted both off my Z10 and it seems to be back to normal.

I find it very curious though...
    knighty2112 likes this.
    04-01-13 09:18 AM
    Don't worry about data useage. I have no idea how people use so much data. I guess I don't have my phone in my hand 24/7 I have about 18 apps loaded on my Z10 and I never use wifi as I have an unlimited data plan and I just looked,, I have used 273 mb in 15 days of my billing cycle. I have 3 email accounts setup, and I text a lot and make calls as this phone is also my work phone. I find battery is great in mine and being I live in sask. we have not go the update on it yet. I Charge my phone at night, usually take off charger by 11 pm and phone is on all night and used during the day and when I put on charger usually about 8 pm I still have about 50% battery left in mine. I will say I have NEVER used the included charger, I have always used the charger from my playbook. Its a faster charger and maybe that's why my battery life is great. Dont let all the threads scare you, The Z10 is awesome
    yeah i also have an unlimited data plan with a droid that has 277 apps installed (about 30 different ones plus news and information widgets that regularly refresh and i upload/download over data with box, mediafire, 4shared and skydrive), the droid should use around the same amount or a little more data as the z10 without compression now and im still only averaging 2-3GB per month unless i stream youtube videos or films for long periods of time so i think its nothing to do with z10s in general, maybe OP has a faulty phone or OS or he has a bad app stuck in a loop e.g. a message or a refresh rate
    04-01-13 10:05 AM
    Phone wasnt faulty for the first month I had the phone.

I can only assume Blackberry Travel or the latest Facebook update may have been to blame. Cause right now there is no problems.

yeah i also have an unlimited data plan with a droid that has 277 apps installed (about 30 different ones plus news and information widgets that regularly refresh and i upload/download over data with box, mediafire, 4shared and skydrive), the droid should use around the same amount or a little more data as the z10 without compression now and im still only averaging 2-3GB per month unless i stream youtube videos or films for long periods of time so i think its nothing to do with z10s in general, maybe OP has a faulty phone or OS or he has a bad app stuck in a loop e.g. a message or a refresh rate
    04-01-13 10:13 AM
    Phone wasnt faulty for the first month I had the phone.

I can only assume Blackberry Travel or the latest Facebook update may have been to blame. Cause right now there is no problems.
    I was searching for my Facebook refresh setting and couldn't find it. Who knows how frequent the Z10 is pulling refreshing from the FB server (data consuming). So really suggest that you close all Active Frames + turn on WIFI and use the Bedside Mode.
    04-01-13 10:18 AM
    i have wifi at home....

but why should i need to use it...I was sleeping and it used data while it was on standby. im still trying to figure out what used it. Really need Onavo on the Z10
    I guess you should use your wifi to avoid running out of data. What do you mean why should I use it? You want to always use your carrier data?
    04-01-13 10:48 AM
    I have to back track on the Facebook thing. Reason why is I dont have a Facebook account. So the Facebook app couldnt have been doing anything. Could it??

I believe the culprit must have been Blackberry Travel...or Adobe Reader update? I really cant think of anything else other than that... I am strongly leaning towards Blackberry Travel being the problem.

I was searching for my Facebook refresh setting and couldn't find it. Who knows how frequent the Z10 is pulling refreshing from the FB server (data consuming). So really suggest that you close all Active Frames + turn on WIFI and use the Bedside Mode.
    04-01-13 10:49 AM
    Noted. But as I said before... during the first month of using the Z10 (Feb 5th-March1st - my billing cycle) I never even came close to my 6GB data limit. (i think i hit 4GB)

LTE is faster than my WIFI network at home and at work unfortunately.

But what I cant understand is... how did i use 20% of my data while I was asleep or when the phone died....

I guess you should use your wifi to avoid running out of data. What do you mean why should I use it? You want to always use your carrier data?
    04-01-13 10:51 AM
    Noted. But as I said before... during the first month of using the Z10 (Feb 5th-March1st - my billing cycle) I never even came close to my 6GB data limit. (i think i hit 4GB)

LTE is faster than my WIFI network at home and at work unfortunately.

But what I cant understand is... how did i use 20% of my data while I was asleep or when the phone died....
    Understandable but that data usage is not and it seems others have had that happen also. Hope you find the issue
    04-01-13 11:00 AM
    do you have your twitter account active? As well, do you have your contacts sycnd to an email account like outlook or gmail? I'm just wondering if your contact lists were updated. It looks like it updates once a day and syncs all pics and contacts. So that may have caused a drain too on the data. Not sure though, just taking a shot in the dark.
    04-01-13 11:00 AM
    I am having the same issue with the Z10 on Telus. There is another thread on this forum about it. From March 10th to the 20th my phone consumed 23 gigs of data. I called Telus numerous times without any assistance I might add.
    Went as far as doing a complete wipe of the phone and started fresh without doing a restore. Same problem was occurring, 95.36mb of usage over and over again.
    My overage was so bad (almost $800.00) I had to switch phones. Still no resolution and am unable to enjoy the new phone I bought full price.
    04-01-13 11:02 AM
    Something is fishy with these carriers or the Z10. Are you all in the same country? Carriers?
    04-01-13 11:09 AM
    I am in Canada with Telusmobility as my carrier.
    04-01-13 11:13 AM
    Its funny you mention this because I remember a co worker of mine's brother was accused of using over 36gigs of data on his Samsung Galaxy S3. 1 month he used 36gigs.. 2nd month he used 17gigs.

Which is ridiculous because he is in school most of the day with wifi on and he doesnt stream movies. He has wifi at home and at school..

Starting to sound a little fishy to me too now that you point this out.

Something is fishy with these carriers or the Z10. Are you all in the same country? Carriers?
    04-01-13 11:15 AM
    I am having the same issue with the Z10 on Telus. There is another thread on this forum about it. From March 10th to the 20th my phone consumed 23 gigs of data. I called Telus numerous times without any assistance I might add.
    Went as far as doing a complete wipe of the phone and started fresh without doing a restore. Same problem was occurring, 95.36mb of usage over and over again.
    My overage was so bad (almost $800.00) I had to switch phones. Still no resolution and am unable to enjoy the new phone I bought full price.
    I've found Telus tech support (*611 and follow the prompts) to be quite helpful. They will open a ticket and have the next level tech contact you if the first tech cant help. Looks like BlackBerry needs to see the logs to find the culprit.
    04-01-13 10:23 PM
    I have to back track on the Facebook thing. Reason why is I dont have a Facebook account. So the Facebook app couldnt have been doing anything. Could it??

I believe the culprit must have been Blackberry Travel...or Adobe Reader update? I really cant think of anything else other than that... I am strongly leaning towards Blackberry Travel being the problem.
    Until the latest update last week, BB Travel definitely was a battery hog if you did not disable autoscan emails. I haven't heard of it being a data hog? Anyway, looks like the problem's been fixed...
    04-01-13 10:28 PM
    Keep an eye on your daily, weekly, monthly and unlimited data usage with the Data Usage Counter app

Available at the BlackBerry World

Last edited by tonyblaze; 05-21-13 at 01:47 AM.
    05-08-13 12:00 PM
68 123