Hello all,

I am wondering if anyone can comment about the battery life drainage on the BB Z10. I very curious about this after discovering how poor it is on the IPHONE and Android devices.

I am currently on a BB9900. Every app has the option to close it hence not killing the battery. If I forget to close it, blackberry device analyzer shuts it down for me with a notification at the top.
    On my BB PB, we can see something like (active frames) but I usually swipe up to close them when Im done so I dont have any battery issues.

On my APPLE Itouch, I just upgraded from IOS4 to IOS6. Very disappointed. although I can now multitask between apps, i found my itouch dead in 45 minutes. There is no option to exit the app. I found out if I double click the home button twice it shows the running apps and I can close each manually. WHAT A PAIN!!!! I had about 75 apps running.

I asked my buddy about his Android S3. He also mentioned this is a battery killer. He did say the option to close apps is simular to IPHONE although he can close ALL apps with the click of one button. (I think thats way better than IPHONE, but still not great)

Can someone who has their hands on a Dev alpha or z10 please comment on this? I really hope RIM has thought this through!
    01-23-13 10:28 AM
    don't quote me on this but I think I remember seeing a video on how to close your open apps......When you double tap your home button, the row of active apps shows at the bottom.... press and hold an icon, they should change after a second or two and give you the chance to close each individually.
    ezapper2 likes this.
    01-23-13 10:40 AM
    On the iphone apps stop "running" after about 10 mins of not being used and go into a suspended state, so they take up no memory and consume no battery, so not sure why you're having this problem. Therefore there isn't any need to ever close the apps (Rene wrote an article on imore about this recently).

No one is quite sure what the battery life will be like on BB10, there have been some leaked documents with estimates but it's real world testing that matters so we just have to wait to see.
    ezapper2 likes this.
    01-23-13 11:01 AM
    if the Playbook is any indicator then the open apps does make battery life worst but my PB typically last me all day and I usually have 3 or 4 apps open at a time all day. . .with no apps left open after use the PB last 3-4 days without a charge. . .
    ezapper2 likes this.
    01-23-13 11:02 AM
    On the iphone apps stop "running" after about 10 mins of not being used and go into a suspended state, so they take up no memory and consume no battery, so not sure why you're having this problem. Therefore there isn't any need to ever close the apps (Rene wrote an article on imore about this recently).

No one is quite sure what the battery life will be like on BB10, there have been some leaked documents with estimates but it's real world testing that matters so we just have to wait to see.
    if this is the case I'm not sure why my itouch went from lasting a full day to 45 minutes... Now if I manully close all running apps it lasts all day again. I wonder how correct the info on imore is.
    01-23-13 11:06 AM
    well it just goes to show the biggest breakthrough in technology needs to be on the battery side. Great specs on a phone are useless if you have to be near an electrical outlet all the time. time to stop the ARMS race and make these phones way more efficient in battery life. whoever can jump battery life with good specs will be a winner. I took an old cdma phone out of a drawer at home. its been sitting there for over 3 years or more and it still turns on with a half charge on the battery!!!! Smartphones!!!;
    ezapper2 likes this.
    01-23-13 12:00 PM
    Honestly the amount of battery drained by open apps will depend on exactly what apps you leave open.

There's a few rules I go by that have served me well in rooting out things that drain battery. Anything that runs the radio or A-GPS will do the most damage, simply because they are both running the CPU and the radio stack, so anything that can send out location data, even for things you like, I would close the **** down. Personally, I wouldn't leave that crap open no matter what, but I know some people don't think about it... Definitely don't leave open anything that does that stuff. Social media is also pretty good at spamming your radio, so close that down too. BB10 has baked in social media integration, so you don't need the app open anyway unless you are actively using it, you'll get your messages by Push. Don't leave the browser open on a page that has Flash stuff on it, because they can auto-refresh or keep playing back the same animation over and over, and flash uses the CPU more than anyone should be happy with. For anything thats not these things... Just police your apps. On BB10 there'll be an obvious indication of what apps are open, so make sure that whatever is open actually needs to be open. Think about what apps do. Ones that have a low resource footprint like documents, that's fine. Things like games on the other hand... quit right out of them, don't just suspend them.

I wouldn't want to speculate on exactly what you could do to an iPod Touch to hammer its battery life that hard, maybe there's a bug in an app that's 99%ing the cpu? Not likely, but wouldn't be the worst bug I've heard of.
    ezapper2 and ctuffy like this.
    01-23-13 12:28 PM
    if this is the case I'm not sure why my itouch went from lasting a full day to 45 minutes... Now if I manully close all running apps it lasts all day again. I wonder how correct the info on imore is.
    I can assure you iOS doesn't have true multitasking. On any Android with ICS or higher holding the the button will allow you to swipe away all apps. The Galaxy S3 works this way.
    01-23-13 01:47 PM