TITLE SHOULD READ: BB Z10 won't succeed in the US without ads

I apologize for a bad title, but this is about Z10 not succeeding without proper advertising. As a note, a few are mentioning NCAA tournament. Even though this is great, that's not enough.

Before people go crazy and call me a troll, i'm far from a troll, i'm just trying to point out an obvious problem. In the past few weeks i've been traveling often for my company, and what did i notice? No advertising for the Z10. ANYWHERE. No matter what city i was in, i saw zero television ads, saw zero billboards, saw nothing. The only place i saw ads were online (youtube, google ads), and that's because i visit a lot of Blackberry websites (crackberry, blackberry.com, N4bb, etc).

My girlfriend and I wouldn't even know the Z10 was going to be on sale today, if it hadn't been for me visiting crackberry as often as i do. Why isn't Blackberry advertising? AT&T is definitely not advertising. When i go to ATT.com, the first phone i see is the HTC One X.

It is being set-up for failure in the US. What a shame, i really think this platform has what it takes to be incredible, it just needs to get in enough peoples hands to survive, but in the US that doesn't seem to be a strategy.

UPDATE: As a few pointed out, the NCAA tournament is showing a bunch of ads, i also made a very troll-like title, which i changed to make more sense.
    Last edited by David Strakovsky; 03-22-13 at 08:39 AM. Reason: bad title
    03-22-13 07:45 AM
    I've seen commercials on tv and word of mouth will spread. What sells this phone is the user experience and once people start trying it it will sell.
    03-22-13 07:48 AM
    There is still word of mouth. Good product dont need heavy advertisement
    03-22-13 07:49 AM
    10 to 20 percent market share in the US would be considered a huge success, BlackBerry needs to build up bit by bit, they can't afford to spend like billions on y for advertising in US.

If you like and support BlackBerry, buy one! BlackBerry's success is depending on every single BlackBerry user.
    keypad likes this.
    03-22-13 07:50 AM
    Very sad to hear that the advertising is not enough in the US.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-13 07:51 AM
    ok your not a troll ?
    word of mouth is a powerfull tool, u are under estimating that
    soi activated my flux capicator i think your missleading BB Z10 WON'T SUCCEED
    SkypilotOfHope likes this.
    03-22-13 07:52 AM
    So you weren't watching the NCAA tourney yesterday? Of course you weren't as there was a commercial every hour it seemed. The marketing campaign is rolling out as I type this as is the Z10 here in the States. Thanks for your concern though.
    03-22-13 07:53 AM
    I agree that word of mouth is powerful, but not as powerful as good advertisement. I mentioned to a few friends this week that Z10 was being released Friday and i was excited to go get mine, but NO ONE knew about it. Unless you're an avid Crackberry reader, how would someone know? The average Joe doesn't check, but he might be interested in trying it out. Bottom line, is it hurts their sales. That's what a lot of the media sites latch on to. BGR is already reporting that the Z10 has weak pre-orders. I personally don't care, but it's not a great image.
    Spencerdl, eldricho and 00stryder like this.
    03-22-13 07:53 AM
    I'm a bit concerned about this myself. I kind of expected the marketing blitz to start about a week ahead of launch.
    03-22-13 07:55 AM
    So you weren't watching the NCAA tourney yesterday? Of course you weren't as there was a commercial every hour it seemed. The marketing campaign is rolling out as I type this as is the Z10 here in the States. Thanks for your concern though.
    You're right, i didn't see the NCAA tournament, i hope you're right, and i'm wrong. Can you describe the ad? Did it say it was being released today from ATT? Or was it a 2 second ad about HUB? I still stand with the fact that they aren't pushing ads well.
    03-22-13 07:55 AM
    Perhaps the Z10 will not succed in the US, but the Q10 will. I have a lot of friends in NY who eagerly awaits that device.
    03-22-13 07:57 AM
    Try it again....NEVER advertise anything extensively until it is available..... In Canada BB has advertised extensively and this is still true today.... see at least 3 tv commercials a day..... As the product only launched today in the US what is the OP expectation..... want to annoy someone... advertise BB10...Have the customer find out they cannot have said advertised item... you have lost a customer....

Note to OP... bad idea to tell people you are not a troll... as it permeates people's consciousness when reading your post......
    shads77 and R Field like this.
    03-22-13 07:58 AM
    Its too early to base the success of Z10 solely on advertisement. Time will tell
    beamolite likes this.
    03-22-13 07:59 AM
    I'm just guessing here. You are not a fan of the NFL because Blackberry had a commercial during the Superbowl which had an average audience of over 108 million viewers and also had the third highest rating in its history. You might not be a troll but I find it hard to accept nrgative comments from "Newbies" who is obviously compelled to create an account just to paint a negative picture. Things that make you go hmmmmm!
    aarty, shads77, datgurl and 1 others like this.
    03-22-13 08:01 AM
    Well the Z10 is only now just launching - and not yet on all carriers, so I would expect more advertising moving forward. It doesn't make sense to advertise the snot out of the Z10/Q10 until they are really available. As others have pointed out there are already TV spots, they had the Superbowl commercial, and there are various online and print spots out.

So I think it is pre-mature to conclude the Z10/Q10 and future devices coming later this year will be a failure.
    03-22-13 08:02 AM
    There were no commercials in Canada until it was available either. Once it was available, look out. It seems its all you see is BB adds now

When I was in the States recently on a couple trips, most all of the providers had a BB advertisement in store stating its available for pre-order. Many had it right smack on the door coming in at eye level. was tuff to miss.

I see what you did thou OP, nice negative thread title. Perhaps a better Title could have been "Concerned with lack of advertising in US"
    peter9477 and SkypilotOfHope like this.
    03-22-13 08:03 AM
    Try it again....NEVER advertise anything extensively until it is available..... In Canada BB has advertised extensively and this is still true today.... see at least 3 tv commercials a day..... As the product only launched today in the US what is the OP expectation..... want to annoy someone... advertise BB10...Have the customer find out they cannot have said advertised item... you have lost a customer....

I honestly couldn't disagree with you more. I think letting the public know the device will be available, can stir up good and positive anticipation. It would allow Blackberry to have good release sales, making the public feel more comfortable with it. Remember, people are viewing Blackberry as a dieing ship, that they don't want to be a part of. If people are in lines buying it, this restores confidence in the product, and the hype and interest.

I agree my title is misleading and if i find a way to change it, i will edit it, but i stand by the fact that Blackberry should've advertised AT&T's release MUCH more.

Q10 can still succeed if we see advertisement, and word of mouth might be good, but an ad during the SuperBowl a month ago isn't going to put people in lines.
    00stryder likes this.
    03-22-13 08:03 AM
    At this point I thought BB would have some kind of marketing blitzs going on but I really haven't seen any promoting, no commericials, no carriers supported commercial nothing at all.
    03-22-13 08:04 AM
    Looks that way. US carriers are screwing BB again. I've seen ads on SciFi. Not sure how BB is targeting their segments. You gotta look for Z10 on ATT.com and then it is the 7th device down. Their first choice of drugs is Lumina so I guess MS is doing the bulk of advertising as Nokia didn't spend much at all based on studies. MS does have a lot more capital to spend. BB needs to hook up with a bigger brother like Sony or someone to make the HW as well and advertise.
    That is one thing about Androids. combines ad for Androids is probably insane if Samsung by itself is 430 Mil. what about HTC and the rest?
    03-22-13 08:04 AM
    i think it will succeed lets face it they are hoping to secure no.3 so Z10 does well ,Q10 does really well then in a few months bb10 arrives on playbook = 1 **** of a lot of happy people
    03-22-13 08:05 AM
    Ok, your observations are valid... but your "subject" is definitely a tad bit troll'ish - looking at it from a Blackberry fan-site perspective, you're obviously trying to grab our attention. Worked on me

Anyways, it doesn't surprise me that Blackberry hasn't plastered a sign in every city across the US. Blackberry has a finite marketing budget - which I'm sure is in the many, many millions - but, it's no Apple or Samsung. They have to be much more targeted with their marketing - aiming to get the best "bang-for-the-buck". Like someone already mentioned, they're all over the NCAA Tournament coverage. I'm not saying all the places you visited were back-water, remote places - but, if Blackberry saw little return on investment in those areas, would you really expect that they'd spend marketing money there?
    03-22-13 08:06 AM
    Putting people in lines in an "Apple" thing. Look at how Samsung outsells Apple and I am yet to see a line up anywhere for Samsung phones.
    03-22-13 08:07 AM
    I have been seeing adverts on CNBC since January and now its on other TV channels inbetween popular shows, there are adverts around NYC also along with coverage on CNN and CNBC
    There were no commercials in Canada until it was available either. Once it was available, look out. It seems its all you see is BB adds now

When I was in the States recently on a couple trips, most all of the providers had a BB advertisement in store stating its available for pre-order. Many had it right smack on the door coming in at eye level. was tuff to miss.

I see what you did thou OP, nice negative thread title. Perhaps a better Title could have been "Concerned with lack of advertising in US"
    You're right, once i saw the response i did a nice . Shouldn't titled the thread better. Any suggestions on how to rename the thread? I didn't mean it as a negative troll like statement, but as a way to bring attention to the fact that there is LITTLE ad's. I was expecting people to start complaining about how much ads there are. If you're right, and the ads pick up, and there are tons of ads after the release, then i take back what i said, and it can succeed. I HOPE IT SUCCEEDS! I can't wait for my lunch break, and to get mine! If they're still available for sale. haha
    I was in Boston on the weekend and walked by many mobile stores and also didn't see any ads however was happy to see a lot watching NCAA's yesterday

Posted via CB10
    rjkolo likes this.
    03-22-13 08:10 AM
120 123 ...