hey everyone!

I've found plenty of similar threads, but all of them without a definite solution to the problem.

It appears that Blackberry Link is so buggy, it cannot restore from backups just in the situations, backups are created for.

Short background:

- I triggered the OS update to the current version. But somewhere on the way the download stopped. However, I rebooted shortly after but my encrypted (!) z10 never booted again. Even when I let it sit there for a whole night, it just went straight to 100% device bootup, without going any further
    - Hence I had to security wipe my z10 and restore it with BBL since nothing else worked
    - When I booted the z10 up I performed the update right away to avoid similar problems again (so I do not have the same OS version as the backups have been created with)

The Problem:

- When I connect my Z10 with BBL it (half of the time) connects to the device successfully.
    - When I then try to restore from backup the problem occures:
    a) it does not let me restore the complete backup
    b) it does not let me restore partial backups. At least not media (my documents which I do fiercely require) and system. I could restore my Apps ONCE, after 10 tries or something, but it never succeeded for media or for the apps again (i did several wipes,reboots, reinstalls of BBL etc..)
    c) I succeeded in restoring my apps to a unencrypted device without password. Hence I do not believe that the encryption is a problem
    d) when I create a new backup and try to restore from the new backup - it works.
    e) I have 10 backups which all do not work for restoration. hence I can rule out that just one backup might be corrupt.

However, I have tried everything like rebooting, restoring, wiping again, etc... but nothing works.

As I mentioned, many people appear to have the same problem. But I did not find a definite solution to the problem. Nevertheless, it seems impossible to me, that Blackberry would just let such a horrible bug slide and not help with a solution.

I have very important documents stored in my backup (and only there) which I require.

I tried to restore my backup with BBL on a Mac and a Windows PC (windows did not even let me backup my device, even when connected already because "the device could not be found").
    10-12-15 04:19 PM
    I don't think there is a definite solution...

If possible downgrade to the OS you made the backup on.... most likely you can't.
    Make sure to download the latest version of LINK.
    Make sure you are signed in with the same BBID on the device and the computer.

Sorry....
    10-12-15 04:56 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply. Don't worry I do not expect a blueprint plan, but I just cannot believe this problem even exists (restoring from backup is an absolute MUST WORK, foremost for a security company like BB...). Although I like my Z10, these "little" things give me a hunch of why Blackberry is struggling for survival

considering your suggestions:

- My device is always signed into my BBID account
    - Tried it with BB Protect turned off
    - However I would very much love to downgrade. But I could not find a way that works for Mac users (or did I miss something?)

p.s. restoring my Apps (partial restore) just worked again. This is so weird. If it would only work for my media backup....
    10-12-15 05:06 PM
    Back in the days you could use BlackBerry Backup Extractor, but it's only for BBOS7 and earlier...

Maybe contact Elcomsoft for a hack... :-)

They have such software!

 Ahoy, Privateers, ... get ready for some data piracy...! ;-) 
    10-17-15 03:56 AM