Hi everyone

being a very happy BB Z10 owner now, I have connected my personal POP emails (as IMAP in BB), but cannot connect to our work's server (Exchange).

Took it to our IT guy here, and he could not connect it either for some reason he could not explain.

I previously had a biz-given iphone 3gs... I 'copied' all details as I found them there (thinking the it guy is maybe missing something), but again nothing.

Are we missing something here? Is there a step by step guide with details on how to connect to Exchange, showing all choices too?
    02-05-13 05:21 AM
    Hi everyone

being a very happy BB Z10 owner now, I have connected my personal POP emails (as IMAP in BB), but cannot connect to our work's server (Exchange).

Took it to our IT guy here, and he could not connect it either for some reason he could not explain.

I previously had a biz-given iphone 3gs... I 'copied' all details as I found them there (thinking the it guy is maybe missing something), but again nothing.

Are we missing something here? Is there a step by step guide with details on how to connect to Exchange, showing all choices too?

Ive just returned from an O2 business shop where they have advised to me that the Z10 is not being sold as a business mail phone.. crazy I know.. but they did show me a memo from BB saying that the handset could not be set up with business email. They failed to tell me if this was BIS/BES or Activesync / exchange but when I told them I currently use activesync with outlook as my desktop email client and exchange 2010 on the backend, they said no.. this wouldn't work.

I too would like clarification of this because if that is the case.. that is a massive fail on BB side.
    02-05-13 05:35 AM
    Ive just returned from an O2 business shop where they have advised to me that the Z10 is not being sold as a business mail phone.. crazy I know.. but they did show me a memo from BB saying that the handset could not be set up with business email. They failed to tell me if this was BIS/BES or Activesync / exchange but when I told them I currently use activesync with outlook as my desktop email client and exchange 2010 on the backend, they said no.. this wouldn't work.

I too would like clarification of this because if that is the case.. that is a massive fail on BB side.
    Not a phone that can be set up with "business email"? Then just what, precisely, is BES 10, then?

I would never trust anything said by someone who works in a carrier store.

M.Rizk likes this.
    02-05-13 05:43 AM

What??? This is crazy?!!
    02-05-13 05:45 AM
    Dear uktivo

I'm not a guru or anything, but I'm a tech 'junkie' if you may call me that... I just looooove tech, and follow it closely.

If you only knew how many times I've heard the stupid-est things from sellers... they don't even know the basics...

I don't believe what they told you... especially if you think that one of the 'main hotspots' of BB Z10 was that you can "turn off work emails ONLY, and have a relaxing evening"...

So, tell them to take a hike...
    M.Rizk and uktivo like this.
    02-05-13 05:46 AM
    Probably no Outlook Web Access ... for good reasons.
    02-05-13 05:51 AM
    Hi everyone

Like the PlayBook, you will need to set up your Z10 using ActiveSync to your Exchange server. Typically, ActiveSync will be turned on by default by the mail administrator/installer when your instance of Exchange is set up. This is the same way an iOS device like an iPhone would be set up. All of your calendar, email, tasks, contacts, notes, etc., should sync right up once you've connected. You can also (like someone's already posted) use the BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES) 10 solution if it's installed on top of your corporate email. I suspect only early adopter companies will have already installed this, though, and older versions of BES (5.04 being the lates) or BESx (express) will not support the BB10 phones. I have BES 10 installed for evaluation on my own Exchange server and hope to have the Z10 sync'd up to it by the end of the day. I have two PlayBooks connected to it right now. Gotta buy the phone, 1st. :-)

/Eric
    uktivo likes this.
    02-05-13 05:58 AM
    The phone doesn't work for Outlook Web Access, but it works fine with Exchange Active Sync.
    If your iPhone worked, you Z10 has to be able to work. The salesman is clueless.
    Call your carrier and ask for someone with a clie.
    M.Rizk and uktivo like this.
    02-05-13 06:00 AM

I was at the Toronto BlackBerry Experience Forum yesterday and it was probably 1400 business people and 100 consumers in the audience. They had a few business leaders up on stage talking about the beta programs they had been involved in and getting ready to roll out Z10's to a large number of their staff starting today in Canada.
    02-05-13 06:02 AM
    Call your carrier and ask for someone with a clie.
    That horrible old Sony PDA/Phone akin to the Hanspring Treo 180?

BB Z10 cannot connect to Exchange-sony_ux50_rev_s.jpg
    RubberChicken76 and uktivo like this.
    02-05-13 06:07 AM
    Hi everyone

Are the servers running ActiveSync available outside of your companies firewall? Or do you need some kind of specific VPN setup in order to access?

When setting up the iPhone did they just enter the account details into the mail application or was there a step before hand to enable the device to see the servers? I know we have to install a VPN profile on our phones before we can receive our email.
    02-05-13 06:11 AM
    I have connected to my work exchange Server using Active Sync without any issues at all, syncs over all information. It works in exactly the same way you would connect an Iphone. No VPN is necessary just make sure you have an IP address it can connect to your Exchange Server has been configured correctly.
    02-05-13 06:19 AM
    Gotta remember that in order to use the Z10 in the corporate environment, your company must be using the latest version of BES which is BES10... It will not work otherwise!!
    02-05-13 06:22 AM
    Gotta remember that in order to use the Z10 in the corporate environment, your company must be using the latest version of BES which is BES10... It will not work otherwise!!
    You realize that I said exactly that 3 posts ago?
    02-05-13 06:28 AM
    Unless you have activesync available outside your company firewall then you don't need BES
    02-05-13 06:30 AM
    You realize that I said exactly that 3 posts ago?
    lol oh ya... I see that now... Leave me alone... it's been a very long night and will be an extremely long day (cause I pick up the Z10 today) lol but also the more people that tell the OP that it needs BES10, the more people will understand and the answer will be accepted lol
    02-05-13 06:33 AM
    You do not need BES10 to use the Z10 with corporate email - as long as your company supports ActiveSync you can use the Z10.
    richbayliss likes this.
    02-05-13 06:34 AM
    All very good and useful information... now if only I could answer the one question that i need answering.. Does the Z10 have rSAP / SIM (remote sim access profile).. I've seen a few posts on forums from people asking the same question with no replies.
    anyway.. i already have this as an open thread on this forum. i will await any input from you kind people...
    thanks.
    02-05-13 06:36 AM
    Worked in my A6!

All very good and useful information... now if only I could answer the one question that i need answering.. Does the Z10 have rSAP / SIM (remote sim access profile).. I've seen a few posts on forums from people asking the same question with no replies.
    anyway.. i already have this as an open thread on this forum. i will await any input from you kind people...
    thanks.
    02-05-13 06:38 AM
    You do not need BES10 to use the Z10 with corporate email - as long as your company supports ActiveSync you can use the Z10.
    Exactly. BES 10 is useful for enforcing MDM (Mobile Device Management) policies, but if all you want to do is sync PIM data, then ActiveSync's all that's needed.
    rjedge54 likes this.
    02-05-13 06:39 AM
    Not a phone that can be set up with "business email"? Then just what, precisely, is BES 10, then?

I would never trust anything said by someone who works in a carrier store.

BES10 is a MDM management system. It is not the same as BES 5. We have both and we had no problems connecting my Dev Alpha device to get emails.
    02-05-13 06:41 AM
    I just called our it guy to check your replies here, because i didn't exactly know what the company's setup is.
    He told me that a few years back when many had BBs (including me when i started in the company) didn't have any problems to connect - I, back then, had a BB 88xx...
    He said we are do not had BES, and we never had, so he does not think it is a pre-requisite...
    He also said that our server is Exchange server without ActiveSync (but he is not too sure about the ActiveSync... not much discussion has been going on, so he does not recall anything about it).
    He was wondering why we cannot connect my BBZ10... he said he will look it up and if he thinks of anything else, he will let me know...
    Last thing he proposed was to use the IMAP option (and get connected to our IMAP server instead of our Exchange one), since he saw that I have managed to add my personal email accounts, from 3 different domains; 1 is Windows based, the other 2 Parallel based... all of them are POP in my PC, and added in my BBZ10 as IMAP. We tried that too, but again nothing happened...
    So, who knows...
    02-05-13 08:40 AM
    If the server does not ActiveSync turned on then you wont be able to set up your phone to use Exchange.
    02-05-13 08:52 AM
    Ok, will let him know that he has to do something about it.
    One question on that... I only want to receive emails and not sync contacts... do I get this option?
    02-05-13 09:09 AM
    I just thought of something... would iphone 3gs work without the ActiveSync? Because that's the phone I had up to now and everything was working fine...
    02-05-13 09:12 AM
67 123