01-02-14 06:21 PM
37 12
tools
    Finally got my Playbook mini keyboard to work. Had to remove it from the bluetooth list in the PB.
    Mousepad works but I'm still trying to figure out gestures. Keyboard works as expected. Cool!
    hibackhand likes this.
    02-10-13 07:05 PM
    I just received my Z10 today, and this is one of the first things I wanted to try, to see if it really could replace a desktop. Sadly, I don't think it can.
    All the below tests are using strictly a bluetooth keyboard and mouse plugged into a normal monitor via HDMI (with DVI converter). At no time did I touch the phone.

Obviously, most third party apps won't support a keyboard and mouse well, so I only tested the hub and browser, as that is where most people will stay for a computer replacement.

First off, the resolution is wrong. It displays at the phones native 720p, which isn't really usable on a normal size monitor. I was hoping for 1080p output (the monitor's native resolution). To be fair, it may have something to do with the fact I have a DVI converter in the way, and my monitor is not native HDMI, but I'm not hopeful.

The main screens cannot run in landscape mode, which gives this annoying narrow/wide transition every time you switch apps via active frames, or launch a new app (even if both apps are landscape, like the browser and hub).

The peek gesture doesn't work with the mouse, although continuing the motion does go directly into the hub from a running app.

Using only the mouse, there is no way to access the on-screen keyboard. The bottom left corner has a keyboard icon similar to when using a mouse with the playbook, but it does nothing if clicked.

There is no way to select text with the mouse. Normal click-drag gestures do not select text. If you right click on text, it will select a word with the normal text selection bubbles, but they cannot be moved using the mouse.

The tab key inserts a space instead of moving to the next text field.

Although some things do work as expected. Ctrl-C copies, ctrl-V pastes, ctrl-Z is undo and the mouse wheel works (although a bit jerky). Both the mouse and keyboard are quite responsive, and the screen turning off on the device does not affect the external monitor. Also, after manually showing the on-screen keyboard, the flick gesture for predicted words does work with the mouse. Obviously, this is quite useless with a keyboard, but would be useful if using only a mouse.

I will be getting a dock for my Z10 when it's released, but I suspect there is quite a few updates needed before I can seriously consider replacing even my most basic computing with my Z10. Keep in mind this is quite different if you are planning to run something like Citrix or another remote desktop software. In that case, the keyboard/mouse/monitor combination should work quite well.

I hope this explains the capabilities somewhat, and what needs to be improved. Overall, the biggest show stoppers at the moment are native resolution (1080p would be nice), and the ability to select text with the mouse.
    02-10-13 11:35 PM
    As far as I could tell, peek worked, as did some apps. Did you watch any of the video?

No it won't replace the desktop, but for media, Web browsing, excel and word away from home, carrying a lead, mouse and keyboard is much lighter than a laptop. As long as you have a to in your hotel!

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-11-13 01:56 AM
    Anyone try this combo with RDP or Citric receiver to a remote desktop?

This would definitely eliminate the need for a desktop or laptop in our office.

John

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    There is a demo is of a playbook doing this so I'd think the z10 would be capable
    02-11-13 10:18 PM
    Weird. All BT accessories I have connect and pair,but have no services available. Does anyone know if Serial Port profile is active by default?
    05-02-13 12:17 PM
    PlayBook keyboard and the phone linked to TV with HDMI and RDP via VPN works great.

As an aside, impressed the IT guys at work by installing BlackBerry Link on work pc and then showing them how good the remote file access really is. What a brilliant feature that is.

Overall, this is shaping up to be a fantabulous OS. Congrats to BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    05-02-13 12:39 PM
    did you get a reply on this? I'm in the same boat...
    05-03-13 04:04 PM
    Short answer "NO". No good answer. I have been asking around. No one I have spoken to on a Z10 has Serial Port Profile services on a blutooth device. I don't know what happenned here. The Z10 has SPP capabilities. According to BB, there are more than a few SPP APIs for developers to use. And yet all BT devices with SPP will connect and pair to the Z10, but will not communicate serial port services. I'm just trying to figure out if this was a hardware issue that was not caught pre-production, or an OS issue not caught pre production. Hopefully this is just a software patch. But I don't know.
    05-03-13 04:15 PM
    This is brilliant! Would really be a new reality.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-13 04:25 PM

After much delay, here is the video I knocked up. rather longer than I anticipated, but there is a lot to cover...
    Awesome video. Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-13 09:06 AM
    I tried to get my Z10 working with my PlayBook keyboard and for some reason, it wouldn't show up as an available option to pair. Must be missing a step somewhere.

no probs getting the PlayBook itself or my visor mount to connect.
    06-01-13 09:15 AM
    Has anyone tried to hook up the bluetooth logitech mouse? (http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Ultra...bUvbUpU9799318 ) ? The one I got from Amazon wouldn't connect but I suspect it's bad hardware as it didn't seem to charge, the indicator lights didn't work as the manual said they should etc.
    01-02-14 06:21 PM
37 12