Hey, just curious to know whether these three methods of restarting the zed hold any different characteristics, or if they're all just 'hard' resets.

I just did the volume up/down method for the first time ever and noticed it restarted but without the red LED.

If any of them offer different restart features to potentially resolve different issues that would be neato.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-13 06:21 PM
    No as far as I know they are all the same.
    ItrathA likes this.
    11-05-13 06:33 PM
    How do u do that volume up/down method to restart?

Posted via CB10
    11-05-13 06:35 PM
    I think the physical battery pull can do more harm than good on BB10. It was a necessary evil in legacy devices as it helped clear memory. But in OS7 it also could cause memory corruption. I would think the same could apply to BB10. I would say it is a very last ditch effort if you so happen to have a phone that has a removable battery. I will always go with the volume button method or the volume up and power button. For rohitadnani just hold both the volume keys until it restarts. Same for holding volume up and power buttons until it restarts. Holding both power buttons gives you a nice screenshot too before it shuts off.
    11-05-13 06:45 PM
    I tried dat but it only clicks a screenshot and even after holding it for long time it doesnt seem to reboot.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-13 06:48 PM
    You have to keep holding both buttons, probably going to take a good 15-20 seconds or so. Release the buttons when you see "BlackBerry" on the screen.
    11-05-13 06:57 PM
    There is rarely a need to pull the battery in BB10. In fact, I would recommend never doing it, just to get out of the habit. Hold down the power button or use the volume rockers.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-13 07:07 PM
    I tried dat but it only clicks a screenshot and even after holding it for long time it doesnt seem to reboot.

Posted via CB10
    So you have an STL100-1? It's not possible on that model.

"If you can't soar with the eagles then don't fly with the flock!" (BBM#18)
    11-05-13 07:09 PM
    At least not via the volume rockers.

11-05-13 07:09 PM
    Ok thanks. So no difference between the three and pulling the battery might cause issues. I'll avoid that going forward.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-13 07:59 PM
    Battery Pull doesn't let the system shut down. Damage unknown.

Holding the Shut Down button up top is the legit way to shut down / restart BB10. No penalty.

Holding the Volume Up and Down buttons for a matter of seconds until the phone shuts down performs a Hard Reset - correcting some things and going a tiny bit back in time. Only recommended to use when the phone has decided to freeze. Damage for high abuse unknown.

Hope that helps they are all different, by FAR!

Posted via CB10
    ghundiraj likes this.
    11-05-13 08:15 PM

Posted via CB10
    Just hold volume up/down. It takes about 20-30 seconds. This is used if the device freezes and power button option is not working. It will quickly shut down and reboot.
    11-05-13 08:29 PM
    I think the physical battery pull can do more harm than good on BB10. It was a necessary evil in legacy devices as it helped clear memory. But in OS7 it also could cause memory corruption. I would think the same could apply to BB10. I would say it is a very last ditch effort if you so happen to have a phone that has a removable battery. I will always go with the volume button method or the volume up and power button. For rohitadnani just hold both the volume keys until it restarts. Same for holding volume up and power buttons until it restarts. Holding both power buttons gives you a nice screenshot too before it shuts off.
    I often wonder if I'm damaging my Z10 by swapping batteries. I carry 2 spares because I'm often away from a charging source during my routine work day. I'm rarely out of BB Z10 power! I'm running the 1791 leak. Stable os. Thoughts?
    11-05-13 08:54 PM
    I often wonder if I'm damaging my Z10 by swapping batteries. I carry 2 spares because I'm often away from a charging source during my routine work day. I'm rarely out of BB Z10 power! I'm running the 1791 leak. Stable os. Thoughts?
    Some people have reported issues. Others say it's nonsense. If you want to just play it safe, just hold down the power button until it shuts off. And THEN swap batteries.

ghundiraj and eddy_berry like this.
    11-05-13 08:56 PM
    Battery Pull doesn't let the system shut down. Damage unknown.

Holding the Shut Down button up top is the legit way to shut down / restart BB10. No penalty.

Holding the Volume Up and Down buttons for a matter of seconds until the phone shuts down performs a Hard Reset - correcting some things and going a tiny bit back in time. Only recommended to use when the phone has decided to freeze. Damage for high abuse unknown.

Hope that helps they are all different, by FAR!

Posted via CB10
    Ok thanks!

Posted via CB10
    11-05-13 09:08 PM
    Well, when my zed runs very hot and the battery drains ina few hours, the battery pull solved it. A controlled shutdown with the top button did not solve it.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-13 09:20 PM
    Okay I'm not too sure about this. But I think holding down the power button is a soft reset and the volume rockers is a hard reset. Anybody know?

11-05-13 09:32 PM
    Pulling the battery on a running Z10 is a lot like pulling the power cord on your PC while it's running. The older BBerry phones (that I have owned anyway) didn't have a shut down button. You put it into a "sleep" state, then had to pull the battery to restart. The new phones are not that way. You can shut it off. Pulling a battery can also harm the SD card if it's doing a read/write. You should shut the phone off before changing the battery.
    11-06-13 09:55 AM
    There is rarely a need to pull the battery in BB10. In fact, I would recommend never doing it, just to get out of the habit. Hold down the power button or use the volume rockers.

Posted via CB10
    I've had to because neither methods of power button of volume buttons have worked.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-13 10:11 AM
    Okay I'm not too sure about this. But I think holding down the power button is a soft reset and the volume rockers is a hard reset. Anybody know?

Correct
    11-06-13 11:33 AM
    That's what I thought, but BlackBerry Knowledge base seems to suggest otherwise:

Hard Reset
    A Hard Reset cannot be performed for the following phones: (battery cannot be removed)
    • Z30
    • Q5
    • Z3

Soft Reset
    To perform a soft reset on the BlackBerry 10 smartphone, complete one of the following:
    • Press and hold the Power key for 10 seconds.
    • Press and hold the Volume up key and the Volume down key at the same time for 10 seconds.

That KB article (KB02141) seems to suggest there is no difference between using the power button and using the volume rockers.
    Last edited by cr4igora; 02-26-15 at 06:23 AM. Reason: spelling
    02-26-15 06:22 AM