- disable LTE (best battery life on fixed 2G - enough for email and text, and you could only enable on demand)
    - disable NFC
    - Wifi can be always on
    - disable gestures on locked screen
    - set Crackberry App to update only manually (it sucks a lot battery with 15 min update interval)
    - set other Apps to manual update if you have those
    - Facebook, Twitter, Evernote can be used just normal
    - screen timeout 30 sec
    - disable diagnose data
    - location settings: on. location based ads: off
    - BB Protect: on

And: the device needs some chargy cycles to learn.
    05-28-13 02:37 AM
    Users shouldn't have to incur the extra expense of purchasing a spare battery in order to get a days worth of "average" use on a single charge of the Z10 battery. The battery shortcomings are something that should of been addressed in the design phase, and properly tested, so that the vast majority of users would be able to get a full days use on a full charge AT THE VERY MINIMUM.

If someone is suffering from chronic migraine headaches, you don't just pass it off like it's nothing, and tell the person to just carry around some extra Tylenol, and they'll be fine. You find the root of what is causing the migraine headache, and you seek to fix that.

Let's hope Blackberry releases an update that resolves a lot of the issues users are experiencing in regards to less than ideal battery performance. If they brush the battery shortcomings under the rug, and suggest people resolve the issue by purchasing a spare battery, and keeping that on hand at all times, I ensure you that would not bode well for Blackberry, who touts that their high end Z10 phone is a perfect compliment for business professionals.
    It's a phone, not your head. There's no way you can equate these two things. Don't be ridiculous. The battery will last as long as any other smartphone out there and if they're using more juice than average then they need a battery charging bundle.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    quangtran1 likes this.
    05-28-13 03:51 AM
    Compared to other smartphones this battery is actually really good

Posted via CB10
    05-28-13 03:56 AM
    I agree if it such a big deal why doesn't everyone carry a spare?? Makes no sense.
    05-28-13 05:43 AM
    I think we need an app that can record what app drain the battery, and how much. So we can safely assume what cause this drain, is it app or os or the device itself.

I am no app developer, dunno if this is possible on bb10 or not. No harsh comments please
    elGuapoTorres likes this.
    05-28-13 05:54 AM
    If an experiment is conducted amongst various users doing the same things within a particular period, if the results come out different in terms of the capacity of the device wouldn't it mean that something is wrong somewhere.

Some people claim they get 22hrs battery life, others claim 10hrs etc. Am currently on 5hrs at 0% battery life.

Is it that the batteries where manufactured with different materials making it render widely different performance results and in some cases crazy results.

How do you explain 5hrs and counting on 0%.......

Posted via CB10
    05-28-13 06:43 AM
    I need good battery on my z10....

Posted via CB10
    05-28-13 06:44 AM
    - disable LTE (best battery life on fixed 2G - enough for email and text, and you could only enable on demand)
    - disable NFC
    - Wifi can be always on
    - disable gestures on locked screen
    - set Crackberry App to update only manually (it sucks a lot battery with 15 min update interval)
    - set other Apps to manual update if you have those
    - Facebook, Twitter, Evernote can be used just normal
    - screen timeout 30 sec
    - disable diagnose data
    - location settings: on. location based ads: off
    - BB Protect: on

And: the device needs some chargy cycles to learn.
    This should improve battery life significantly. I can't stress enough how disabling gestures during lock screen improves battery life.
    05-28-13 07:54 AM
    Buy a spare battery, call it a wrap. Easy.
    Only a small percentage of users carry around an extra battery. IMHO, it's a bit of a hassle. Built-in should be good enough to deliver decent battery life. Carrying around a second battery is a personal choice and I wonder why that always seems to make it into Crackberry reviews of devices with subpar battery life (OS7 devices, pre-10.1 Z10)
    kojisan likes this.
    05-28-13 08:03 AM
    Hi. I used to have battery problem too. First I thought that it is normal, that z10 does consume battery like that. My battery used to last for 3-4 hours.

Anyway, my z10 had a dead pixel, so I return to the distributor for repair, to check the battery also.
    After almost a month, I got my z10 back, same device, same pin, no dead pixel, OS upgraded to 10.1 (was 10.0), and behold, battery last for 8 hours easily.

Screenshot:
    Attachment 166064

I did not condition the battery at all. Since most article I read says conditioning lithium battery actually hurt the battery.

Regards,
    cuek80
    8 hours battery life is nothing to write home about. If you take the phone off the charger at 6 am, it's dead by 2pm. That's not impressive.
    kojisan likes this.
    05-28-13 08:05 AM
    I think we need an app that can record what app drain the battery, and how much. So we can safely assume what cause this drain, is it app or os or the device itself.

I am no app developer, dunno if this is possible on bb10 or not. No harsh comments please
    It would be wonderful to be able to do that, but actually it is not possible with BB10, currently. The apps are "sandboxed" for security reasons, and so far BlackBerry has not provided any API that would let an app like Battery Guru extract the information you'd need for that. It's a much-requested thing, but almost entirely impossible, for now.
    05-28-13 08:16 AM
    Users shouldn't have to incur the extra expense of purchasing a spare battery in order to get a days worth of "average" use on a single charge of the Z10 battery. The battery shortcomings are something that should of been addressed in the design phase, and properly tested, so that the vast majority of users would be able to get a full days use on a full charge AT THE VERY MINIMUM.

If someone is suffering from chronic migraine headaches, you don't just pass it off like it's nothing, and tell the person to just carry around some extra Tylenol, and they'll be fine. You find the root of what is causing the migraine headache, and you seek to fix that.

Let's hope Blackberry releases an update that resolves a lot of the issues users are experiencing in regards to less than ideal battery performance. If they brush the battery shortcomings under the rug, and suggest people resolve the issue by purchasing a spare battery, and keeping that on hand at all times, I ensure you that would not bode well for Blackberry, who touts that their high end Z10 phone is a perfect compliment for business professionals.
    I have had equal or worse battery issues with iPhone's and the Samsung S3 work gave me. The iPhone I would be fighting for an outlet on the train at the end of the day to charge. The Z10 spare battery is a reasonably priced option for those of us you are heavy phone users. Blaze 's reply was valid considering OP's Post is nothing more than a rant that could have gone into a hundred other threads that exist on the battery issue.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-13 08:18 AM
    8 hours battery life is nothing to write home about. If you take the phone off the charger at 6 am, it's dead by 2pm. That's not impressive.
    I use bb 9860 before this z10. It usually last 7-8 hours with higher capacity battery (not the original one, but higher than z10's), and it freeze sometimes (hourglass).
    So for me, 8 hours is a great battery life for z10 without the freeze.
    i can also not use it normally and last more than 1 day to show off the great "useless" battery life.
    Anyway, compare with 3-4 hours I had before (sometimes even mostly on standby), I say cheers! for the 8 hours
    05-28-13 08:31 AM
    Amen brother!
    05-28-13 08:37 AM

The majority of people who purchase a new phone only have a 14 day period to evaluate the phone. They don't have a month. And if somebody bought a Z10 recently, this issue with the sub par battery is going to be a major considering factor in whether to keep the phone or return it.
    It's not sub par, it's on par with most other like devices. There are many factors, as others have pointed out, that can affect battery life. Battery life will vary greatly between users. I get a full day easily with average usage.
    05-28-13 08:43 AM
    If an experiment is conducted amongst various users doing the same things within a particular period, if the results come out different in terms of the capacity of the device wouldn't it mean that something is wrong somewhere.

Some people claim they get 22hrs battery life, others claim 10hrs etc. Am currently on 5hrs at 0% battery life.

Is it that the batteries where manufactured with different materials making it render widely different performance results and in some cases crazy results.

How do you explain 5hrs and counting on 0%.......

Posted via CB10
    It could be a lot of things. Do you have a lot of apps updating frequently? Do you have a good signal? Do you have bluetooth always on? There are a lot of variables.
    05-28-13 08:47 AM
    Buy a spare battery and use spell check.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-13 08:54 AM
    I have three devices in my office lab.

1. Android (Galaxy S3)
    2. Blackberry Z10
    3. iPhone 5

The iPhone lasts about 30 minutes longer than the Z10 (8hours vs 7.5 hours) and the Galaxy S3 lasts about 6.5 hours. Note all are in the exact same location with all of the same accounts configured. Note the difference is the screen size and the devices drain in that exact order. That is about as exact as you can get.

It most definitely does exist. You first obtain the demographic data. You then distribute the devices in close proportion to the demographic that are testing the devices. You then obtain the data. You will get the mean, median, and mode rather easily. The variables are accounted for. It doesn't matter what each user does with his phone, the statistical data will still be plotted and available to determine a value for "average" use.

I'm an Analyst with a background in Mechanical Engineering. Trust me when I tell you that just because there are many variables, it doesn't mean you cannot derive data from it. Because you most definitely can. There is always data.
    05-28-13 09:14 AM
    I have the only z10 in my family - the rest are on iPhone and I am the only one who doesn't carry a charger every where. 8 hours with heavy use us entirely reasonable. And if your not getting that spend some time to read the twenty or so threads here that will help. Finally the fact you can by a battery bundle for thirty bucks is amazing. With the second battery a long day us required to kill both batteries. I will be ready for bed before my phone.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-13 09:15 AM
    I purchased the battery charger bundle when I got my Z10 but I have yet to use it once in the 4 months since. Battery life has been far, far better than what I ever had on my 9900 and is running about 25% better than my S3.
    05-28-13 10:55 AM
    This is how long the battery should last
    Battery!!!! Ohh Battery!!!-img_00000195.png

Then as soon as I go out of airplane mode...
    Attachment 166184
    05-28-13 11:47 AM
    Mine has been poor as well. I make sure I have I a charger left at my office and I have a car charger with me all the time. I just make sure I plug it in.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-13 12:23 PM
    These threads drone on and on. We have been writing about the battery "Issue" since day 1. It is not an issue but a problem, or weakness, period. Forget average usage but use the term heavy or medium. Equally subjective, perhaps, but we then can label a user heavy and try to do a side by side comparison with other phones, including prior BBs, we see somewhat similar to as posted above for heavy usage:

Razor -- 36hrs (w/8hrs sleep)
    IPhone5 -- ~ 8-9 1/2hrs
    S2-- ~ 7 1/2 -8hrs
    Z--~6-6 1/2hrs (features off or low)
    Z--~4 1/2hrs ("stock"features on)
    8900--14 hrs (no sleep)

As repeated pointedly, BB already fit the Q with an appreciably larger battery (need we say more)... The idea is to get through a long work day, if not shoot for one's entire average waking hours. Without turning off, or down, virtually every variable feature on the Z (save radio), a heavy user will still not make it a full work day on a Z charge. (This is where the backup battery and other after mkt battery related devices become mandatory.)

In fairness, it should be added that the Z is capable of performing more tasks simultaneously so that I have little doubt but that the BB may have greater work output on a charge. However, the public doesn't judge battery life, or quality, on such basis.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-13 01:17 PM
    Only a small percentage of users carry around an extra battery. IMHO, it's a bit of a hassle. Built-in should be good enough to deliver decent battery life. Carrying around a second battery is a personal choice and I wonder why that always seems to make it into Crackberry reviews of devices with subpar battery life (OS7 devices, pre-10.1 Z10)
    Agreed. Most people with battery concerns aren't trolling or employing 'baby with bathwater' argument that because the battery performance isn't great the whole phone is garbage. Quite simply, I think we just want more out of the battery or at least some consistency in performance. I am also not a fan of dumbing down the phone in order to squeeze life out of it. I do it because it works and it makes sense but if a product is engineered with the intention to deploy things like LTE, NFC and BT they should be available without having to turn them on or off in order get battery life out of the phone.

As an aside, I recall my 9900 had an app that would turn on/off wifi and other things based on GPS location. I wonder if something like that could be implemented or baked into OS10?
    05-28-13 01:22 PM
    The stock OS plus battery is average but there's something draining the battery when you start installing stuff and customizing it. I remember when I first got it, it could last two days with standard use. Now, it'll last 20 hours with standard usage.

I want to find out what's eating the battery.
    05-28-13 01:37 PM
156 1234 ...