I have my brightness at 0% I have my alert sound off and my phone finished charging at 100% at 11am its 2pm mow and all I been doing is texting or bbm or surfing the Web and I'm at 65% is that really bad or what and I have the latest update plus my screen shuts off after 10 seconds too any advise?

Posted via CB10
    03-02-13 01:03 PM
    Are you connected to wifi? Or out and about? If your phone is constantly polling for a LTE connection then that'll kill your battery pretty quick.
    03-02-13 01:09 PM
    I don't know what to say, everyone else is having phenomenal battery life after the update. Who's your carrier?

Posted via CB10
    Kafer99 likes this.
    03-02-13 01:10 PM
    I'm lost as well. My battery life has increase a minimum of 20%.
    03-02-13 01:13 PM
    Yes three hours of Web browsing YouTube videos will drain your battery.

As mentioned lte can effect the batt life. If u have lte on and are not in an lte coverage area change your network settings.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 Oreo
    03-02-13 01:14 PM
    I'm with rogers and no wifi but yes to lte and I wasn't looking at you tube videos I've only been using the crackberry app and texting for the last few hours is it maybe LTE?

Posted via CB10
    03-02-13 01:21 PM
    The city live in does have LTE

Posted via CB10
    03-02-13 01:22 PM
    It could be LTE. It's a known battery-sucker. You can choose to run on 3G only, just to see what that does with your battery. If it drastically improves your battery life then it was probably because of LTE. If it doesn't really help then there could be an app draining your battery.
    03-02-13 01:39 PM
    A battery monitor app can show you what's using the most battery power in general (i.e. wifi, cell network, etc.). Try one of these:

https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...rue&pmc=active

https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...rue&pmc=active
    03-02-13 01:50 PM
    Terrible title !! it seems that you are affirming that the battery life is officially bad after the upgrade !!
    R Field and Kafer99 like this.
    03-02-13 02:15 PM
    So it was the LTE killing my battery wow stay off it and the battery is amazing that's unfortunate tho my city had LTE and to use it its going go kill my battery ugh

Posted via CB10
    aelaan likes this.
    03-02-13 08:13 PM
    So it was the LTE killing my battery wow stay off it and the battery is amazing that's unfortunate tho my city had LTE and to use it its going go kill my battery ugh

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for confirming that. I too have certain dead spots where I live. When I am in Waterloo it goes full blast but in rural off the 401 corridor it drops. I'll try that out for the next week and see if I can get more than 10 hours with light use

Posted via CB10
    03-02-13 08:21 PM
    LTE is great, but honestly for 95% of my usage 3G and/or 2G is fine. I've throttled my Z10 down off LTE and it makes a huge difference.
    03-02-13 08:22 PM
    I had huge battery drain problems until I found out I hadn't set up one of my email accounts properly.

Once I deleted that setup, I got fantastic battery life - like over 24 hours per charge on moderate useage... 20 - 40 emails per day, some with large attachments; 2 - 3 hours per day on phone calls, a few SMS and BBM messages, a couple of app downloads, fooling around with video downloads for maybe 20 minutes per day.

So my experience was that if I was getting poor battery life, it was a symptom that I had done something wrong in my set-up.

Good luck on your problems.
    03-02-13 08:31 PM
    The city live in does have LTE

Posted via CB10
    LTE will drain the battery especially when there is a weak signal. Switch to 4G or 3G. With moderate use today the battery lasted over 15 hours before reaching 20%.

Posted via CB10 on the BlackBerry Z10
    03-02-13 08:45 PM
    Ya I'm in Cambridge so what ur saying us if I'm in a weak area my phone will still show LTE but it will be trying to capture the lte to the fullest

Posted via CB10
    03-02-13 09:00 PM
    I had huge battery drain problems until I found out I hadn't set up one of my email accounts properly.

Once I deleted that setup, I got fantastic battery life - like over 24 hours per charge on moderate useage... 20 - 40 emails per day, some with large attachments; 2 - 3 hours per day on phone calls, a few SMS and BBM messages, a couple of app downloads, fooling around with video downloads for maybe 20 minutes per day.

So my experience was that if I was getting poor battery life, it was a symptom that I had done something wrong in my set-up.

Good luck on your problems.
    Hi DAY1000, I'm curious to know what you did to sort out your email set up. I'm one of the Z10 owners who has yet to be lucky enough to experience stellar battery life. I get about 10-12 hours a day which I thought was okay... until I read about how so many folks in the CB community were enjoying renewed battery life of 18+ hours after the latest OS update to 10.0.10.85. I've been doing my tweaks on my phone such as shutting off LTE, lowering the screen brigthness, disabling touch functionality when the screen is off and turning off all social media feeds. I've drained the battery a couple of times as well to ensure that it was charging from a near depleted state.

Your posting was the first that I've read so far suggesting that a person could potentially set up an email account incorrectly which could result in a significant battery drain. Would you be able to share exactly what you did to set your email accounts properly? I come from a long line of BBs going back to the Pearl 8100 and this is the first time where I've seen all that IMAP, POP, SMTP mumbo jumbo when setting up an email account on my BB (at least I never noticed it when I set up my email accounts on BB OS 4, 5, 6 or 7). It's overwhelming! So it could very well be that I've set up the email accounts in a non-ideal manner -- if that's the case I would love to fix it. FYI, I've got two gmail accounts and one hotmail account set up (plus my Facebook and LinkedIn accounts).

Finally, I did install the latest Rogers 12MB OS update which stated that there were (paraphrasing) "battery improvements". The only thing I've noticed so far is all the bloatware that I deleted returning.

If all else fails, I'm going to go and get a new battery in the event that the one I got with my initial Z10 purchase was a dud... at least a dud in terms of general battery performance being reported by others -- I am by no means a power user!

Thanks!
    03-02-13 11:26 PM
    @ danfrancisco, Hi

Like you, this is the first time I've had to deal with all the mumbo jumbo regarding email accounts. Before I just typed in the email address and BB figured it all out. That's a minor gripe of mine with BB10. You shouldn't have to understand a single thing about how stuff works to be able to enjoy the BB10 experience. But this IS an entirely new OS, maybe with time they'll make it work for us dummies (Hey, there's an idea for a book... 'BB10 For Dummies' - you heard it here first!)

I had no idea what kind of account my business email was. I own the domain name but it is administered by a technician at the company I bought it from. I don't think he realized how ignorant I was of technology matters so he didn't dummy-down his response to me sufficiently for me to set it up properly. In reality, it was a POP3 account. I thought it was an Exchange account, so I set it up incorrectly and it wasn't sendling emails to Z10 correctly. I could force the emails to Z10 by restarting Z10, but what a pain in the ****. I also had all the same things shut off that you do.

I called Ma Bell, and the tech said I would have to talk to BB tech support, so he put my call through to BB for me. I explained my problem to the BB tech and he took it to his BB email setup guru, but because of my faulty understanding of the situation, the description I gave them couldn't be made to work. They opened a Case Number for me and asked me to arrange for the technician from the domain name company to call bb using the case number as an identifier so he would be put straight through to the BB techs.

He did this and between him and BB they got all the protocols and port numbers figured out. Then BB sent me an email telling me that I should phone them (again quoting the case number) and the technician guided me through the set-up process. Now it works.

I would suggest auto-forwarding all your emails to a gmail account (or accounts if you want to keep your business separate from your personal), then you only have to set up the gmail accounts on your device. In my experience the gmail account delivers immediately, despite the fact that I've got it set up for 15 minute updates.

BB must have some reason for deciding to support gmail so why fight it? I haven't done it yet, but I'm contemplating deleting the newly corrected and set up POP account from the device and going back to the auto-forwarding through gmail solution, as I actually get the emails faster that way.

I have no idea how much of a battery drain Facebook and Linkedin are as I'm not a social networking kinda guy and I don't use them.

As I said before, for me, the fast battery drain turned out to be a symptom that something should be set up differently. However, I'm not suggesting that there aren't some batches of bum batteries out there. I certainly thought I had one...

Good luck

***Edit

I had it pointed out to me in another thread that if you answered any forwarded emails from your device, they would be answered from your gmail account rather than your forwarded-from account. If that's a problem, then you wouldn't be able to use that work around.
    Last edited by DAY1000; 03-03-13 at 01:52 AM.
    03-03-13 12:49 AM
    according to this, using browser would eat the most battery
    BlackBerry Z10 battery tests are done, results are inside - GSMArena Blog
    03-03-13 01:03 AM

Posted via CB10
    I got 15 hours with light to moderate usage today with LTE on the whole time - Before the update I could barely get 10 hours with similar usage
    03-03-13 01:08 AM
    @ danfrancisco, Hi

Like you, this is the first time I've had to deal with all the mumbo jumbo regarding email accounts. Before I just typed in the email address and BB figured it all out. That's a minor gripe of mine with BB10. You shouldn't have to understand a single thing about how stuff works to be able to enjoy the BB10 experience. But this IS an entirely new OS, maybe with time they'll make it work for us dummies (Hey, there's an idea for a book... 'BB10 For Dummies' - you heard it here first!)

I had no idea what kind of account my business email was. I own the domain name but it is administered by a technician at the company I bought it from. I don't think he realized how ignorant I was of technology matters so he didn't dummy-down his response to me sufficiently for me to set it up properly. In reality, it was a POP3 account. I thought it was an Exchange account, so I set it up incorrectly and it wasn't sendling emails to Z10 correctly. I could force the emails to Z10 by restarting Z10, but what a pain in the ****. I also had all the same things shut off that you do.

I called Ma Bell, and the tech said I would have to talk to BB tech support, so he put my call through to BB for me. I explained my problem to the BB tech and he took it to his BB email setup guru, but because of my faulty understanding of the situation, the description I gave them couldn't be made to work. They opened a Case Number for me and asked me to arrange for the technician from the domain name company to call bb using the case number as an identifier so he would be put straight through to the BB techs.

He did this and between him and BB they got all the protocols and port numbers figured out. Then BB sent me an email telling me that I should phone them (again quoting the case number) and the technician guided me through the set-up process. Now it works.

I would suggest auto-forwarding all your emails to a gmail account (or accounts if you want to keep your business separate from your personal), then you only have to set up the gmail accounts on your device. In my experience the gmail account delivers immediately, despite the fact that I've got it set up for 15 minute updates.

BB must have some reason for deciding to support gmail so why fight it? I haven't done it yet, but I'm contemplating deleting the newly corrected and set up POP account from the device and going back to the auto-forwarding through gmail solution, as I actually get the emails faster that way.

I have no idea how much of a battery drain Facebook and Linkedin are as I'm not a social networking kinda guy and I don't use them.

As I said before, for me, the fast battery drain turned out to be a symptom that something should be set up differently. However, I'm not suggesting that there aren't some batches of bum batteries out there. I certainly thought I had one...

Good luck

***Edit

I had it pointed out to me in another thread that if you answered any forwarded emails from your device, they would be answered from your gmail account rather than your forwarded-from account. If that's a problem, then you wouldn't be able to use that work around.
    @DAY1000

Thanks for sharing! I actually do have a non-gmail/non-hotmail email account set up as well that uses all these IMAP/iHOP/POPCorn options that throw me off when I go into the account settings. It's an account that I only check once a day and almost never respond from from the BB (I'll typically respond from a desktop). I'm going to try your suggestion of having it forward to one of my gmail accounts so I at least will be alerted when a message is sent to the mailbox.

I'm anxious to try any little tweak or trick at this point. I love my Z10 to death but all these posts of users having 50% battery remaining after a busy 12 hour day of use is making me insanely jealous! But I still am noticing a small minority of folks out in the CB community who are getting non-optimal battery life so hopefully together we'll all dig up enough tips to get us all to that coveted 18-20 hour mark!

One last thing, I live right in Toronto (between DVP and Yonge) where there's basically Rogers LTE coverage everywhere. So for me, searching for a signal is not issue. However everywhere I read, people are recommending that you should turn LTE off to save the battery. If I don't have LTE coverage issues, do I need to turn it off? The Z10 is my first ever LTE phone and I am absolutely blown away by the speed. It's a shame that I can't take advantage of it out of fear of draining the battery.
    03-03-13 09:11 AM
    sorry to hear this. My phone, striaght off the charge is getting 27 hrs on a charge. regular use...100% screen, 30 sec turn off on screen, on WiFi and lte and Bluetooth enabled.

I have my brightness at 0% I have my alert sound off and my phone finished charging at 100% at 11am its 2pm mow and all I been doing is texting or bbm or surfing the Web and I'm at 65% is that really bad or what and I have the latest update plus my screen shuts off after 10 seconds too any advise?

Posted via CB10
    03-03-13 09:18 AM
    I got 15 hours with light to moderate usage today with LTE on the whole time - Before the update I could barely get 10 hours with similar usage
    See I text a lot and I use the crackberry app a lot and twitter and fb too I try to avoid the browser but lte just kill me

Posted via CB10
    03-03-13 12:27 PM
    Updated to newest OS, charged to full then left off charger for a full 24 hours. Weekend use for me is limited, bbm, text, web and some calls nothing longer than a few minutes. A FULL 24 hours later and I'm at 33% battery life. Wifi and bluetooth on, LTE off.
    03-03-13 12:30 PM
    Its too bad we can't change the title of these threads. It should read "My battery life is terrible" and it should not mention the OS upgrade because it has nothing to do with the OPs battery life. All this does is make potential buyers worry about battery life. I have had my phone for 3 days now. After first full charge I got 11.5 hours with fairly heavy use. Second day with somewhat lighter use it looks like I may get to 15 hours. I deliberately left Wifi and Bluetooth on all the time and the phone is on LTE. I was concerned about the initial comments on battery life but no longer.
    03-03-13 09:25 PM
37 12