If RIM can make this with a battery that can last 2 days of moderate business use, I could only imagine how many ppl would buy this phone just to have a phone that could sustain two days of use, the umbilical cord gets old fast. Everyone seems to forget about the phones that used to easily last 3 to 5 days. I know there is alot more data and stuff. If they just doubled battery size....is it possible they might do something to enhance battery life in this phone?
    12-04-12 07:15 PM
    2 days is pretty ambitious with todays requirements for phones that are always connected and on 4G LTE networks. Unless RIM unleashes some previously unknown battery tech, they'll be falling into the same class as the majority of smartphones today which last 8 hours with moderate use. The only devices exceeding that do so because of their larger size with bigger batteries (see: Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy S3, Motorola Razr Maxx HD, etc)

I am extremely curious though to see how the L-Series performs though because when I heard 1,800 mAh, I was shocked that RIM went with something so low. Either the OS is going to be SUPER efficient at handling "always-on" multitasking or it's just going to be a ruse and we'll be back to carrying spare batteries or buying -ugly extended batteries
    12-04-12 07:39 PM
    thats where i don't want to go, I work in Ag and a battery charger isn't always available and even if it was i would rather keep the phone in the pocket microwaving my testicles than exposing to dust and trying to explain how dust is normal wear and tear to my insurance when i need a replacement.

1,800 mah isn't much i hope they spec higher in their final decision
    12-04-12 08:34 PM
    I'm still waiting for nuclear reactors to be small enough to fit inside my phone... only way to get enough power....
    12-04-12 09:17 PM
    1,800 mah isn't much i hope they spec higher in their final decision
    First off, the mAh rating is only half the story when it comes to device battery life, the other being the current requirement of the circuit. Android phones usually require more current to operate than more efficient devices like the iPhone 5 (with only a 1440mAh battery). I suggest reading more at this link: Battery 101 - the basics

Second, it's not just a matter of RIM "speccing higher" and throwing in a bigger battery, as this would affect the dimensions and weight of the device, as well as costs and logistics.
    12-04-12 09:54 PM
    ok, let me rephrase it, how good is your phone when u can't use it? my cousin has a iphone and brags up and down, but he is charging that thing every time he can, car, home, work. its kinda ridiculous. I think my 9900 holds up quite well, comparatively. If it could just to 30% more it would be a godsend. I am saying if they could increase its working time I think it would be a proven selling point. Maybe ppl can't tolerate a little more weight for more usage, maybe they can. But size sucks. The S3 is a beautiful phone, but it reminds me of the old analog brick phones still ppl seem to be willing to accept a larger size. When I hear the beep of the low battery it makes me cringe each and every time.
    12-04-12 10:05 PM
    I am saying if they could increase its working time I think it would be a proven selling point.
    Well, yeah. That's what every OEM would or should strive for. It's not that simple though, as it's a constant struggle between phone functionality and battery life. We'll know when BB10 is released how RIM fares in that battle. For now, all we can do is wait and see if 1800mAh is enough. We simply cannot assume it won't be good enough based on other devices with different operating systems.
    12-04-12 10:56 PM
    Well, yeah. That's what every OEM would or should strive for. It's not that simple though, as it's a constant struggle between phone functionality and battery life. We'll know when BB10 is released how RIM fares in that battle. For now, all we can do is wait and see if 1800mAh is enough. We simply cannot assume it won't be good enough based on other devices with different operating systems.

But, wouldn't the media just tear RIM to shreds for not keeping up with the Popular specs battery wise? I mean RIM needs to get everything correct, or they will be known as "Still far behind on specs".
    12-05-12 01:14 AM
    Don't forget that the battery is removable. That means you can always carry a spare battery and swap on-the-go...
    12-05-12 01:25 AM
    But, wouldn't the media just tear RIM to shreds for not keeping up with the Popular specs battery wise? I mean RIM needs to get everything correct, or they will be known as "Still far behind on specs".
    In that case, RIM can throw in a bigger battery and still be criticized for making a device that is too bulky. You can't win everyone over. All I'm saying is that it's a little premature to just assume the battery is too small based on the mah rating when we have no idea how efficient bb10 will be in terms of power management.
    12-05-12 03:16 AM
    In that case, RIM can throw in a bigger battery and still be criticized for making a device that is too bulky. You can't win everyone over. All I'm saying is that it's a little premature to just assume the battery is too small based on the mah rating when we have no idea how efficient bb10 will be in terms of power management.
    Oh sure I agree that you can't win everyone over. There will always be criticism, no matter where you turn. There's positives and negatives. You learn from the negatives. RIM might surprise us with really good multitasking and power management even with a small battery like that. It's still better than the 9900's battery that's for sure, lol. From what was said in the Sky Presentation thread about Battery Life, I bet RIM has figured it out since they know that Lots of people were disgraced about the 9900/9930's battery.
    12-05-12 07:25 PM
    [QUOTE=damthrill;7763217...Everyone seems to forget about the phones that used to easily last 3 to 5 days...[/QUOTE]

Whenever I see my phone's/tablet's charge drops to 30% while on business trip, I feel I do miss my Philps Ozeo (7-8 days of calls) and old organizers (weeks and months).
    12-19-12 12:59 PM
    Man, I would hate to be the engineers responsible for trying to how to improve battery life on smartphones in any company. On one hand, you have the tech speed of mobile moving at lightning speed ... bigger screens, touch interfaces, bluetooth connections, multi-core processors, powerful GPUs, LTE wireless, NFC. On the other, you have battery tech just ... plodding ... along.

My first BlackBerry was a curve 8300, from five years ago. It went days seamlessly. Of course, it also had a 320 x 240 screen, no GPU, a single core 312 MHZ processor, 2G connectivity, no NFC, no touch screen etc.

Crazy when you think about how quickly mobile devices have advanced in 5 years.

I'll be happy if it last from when I wake up till when I go to sleep. I can't have it like my iPhone 4S or old 9900 where it starts to toss warnings about 3 or 4 PM.
    12-19-12 01:08 PM
    Well, the Bold 9900 doesn't go beyond a day of moderate to heavy use, and so it would be HARD for BB10 London to go for 2 days of heavy use. Hopefully they've figured out the problem with LTE sucking too much juice. Was talking to someone who had a S3 and LTE use was a main reason why the battery use was so heavy.
    12-19-12 02:44 PM
    Well, the Bold 9900 doesn't go beyond a day of moderate to heavy use, and so it would be HARD for BB10 London to go for 2 days of heavy use. Hopefully they've figured out the problem with LTE sucking too much juice. Was talking to someone who had a S3 and LTE use was a main reason why the battery use was so heavy.
    Wasn't one of the 9900's problems that the battery itself was pretty thin and wimpy in order to accommodate that thin form factor? I went from a Torch to that and noticed a fairly pronounced battery life drop. The 9700 I had earlier would have shrieked in horror at the battery life it was getting.
    12-19-12 02:51 PM
    Wasn't one of the 9900's problems that the battery itself was pretty thin and wimpy in order to accommodate that thin form factor? I went from a Torch to that and noticed a fairly pronounced battery life drop. The 9700 I had earlier would have shrieked in horror at the battery life it was getting.
    Combination of the smaller battery, touchscreen, newer HSPA+, etc. When I went on a trip to Rockingham and my 9900 went into GPRS coverage, it lasted the whole weekend of camping. I'll be going into WV to my parent's for Christmas and will be on AT&T probably on EDGE and it will last more than the day I get now on HSPA+. I hope that they have optimized BB10 way better than Playbook OS because my Playbook with full use won't make it through a Sunday of browsing while watching football. The L needs to be able to get at least a full day of power use on a charge, and the removable battery should be for multi-day users without an outlet. At least that is my hope.
    mithrazor likes this.
    12-19-12 04:42 PM
    Well, the Bold 9900 doesn't go beyond a day of moderate to heavy use, and so it would be HARD for BB10 London to go for 2 days of heavy use.
    The two cannot be compared, as they're running on completely different operating systems and hardware. There's no way for us to know what the battery life on BB10 will be like until it's released, so there's no point in worrying about it for now.
    12-19-12 05:40 PM
    The device definitely has to last for a day on heavy use. It's made for people that need a communication device tool. BB has to deliver. My Curve 9360 has a 1000mAh battery. It lasts about half a day on heavy use. About 4-6 hours. I hope BB10 can last me at least 12 hours while on Wifi, Bluetooth, 3G/LTE, 1-2hr of calling, 300 texts/emails, Twitter, Facebook, (maybe even Instagram), and max brightness. Maybe the last one not so much, but it would be a nice plus if the phone lasted that long with it on.
    12-20-12 12:20 PM
    I just don't understand how a device can be called "mobile" if its battery can not survive 24 hours...
    My expectation for any phone is 2.5-3 days of "pure" calls and at least 1.5 day of calls with emails/browsing through WiFi. If BB10 don't provide that...well, I'll spent 10 bucks for two more spare batteries and will stick to my 9700 and Playbook.
    12-20-12 01:41 PM
    One thing I learned from my time with Android, is that having an extra battery with an external charger is invaluable...something I followed with my 9900 (even though I rarely need it) and will do the same with the L series. It's a user-replaceable battery for a reason...I will never let battery life restrict my device choice, and this practice allows me to not worry about running out of juice or finding a place to charge.
    12-20-12 02:25 PM
    Guys, be rest assured that RIM have learnt from their mistakes. I mean look at you guys, you all post on CrackBerry, call yourself supporters/fanboys but have no faith in RIM? I know that they will have something in mind. They won't just make the same stupid mistakes again. Trust them on this. I know I do. Who's with me?

Oh and btw LTE can always be switched off (if the option is present), as most of the time, it really isn't required, and in the UK, unless you're on EE, you don't even get it xD
    tmurphx5 likes this.
    12-20-12 02:33 PM
    Well don't most people think the Dev B is basically similar in specs to the L-Series... what kind of battery life have Dev B owners been experiencing? Even though not all the features are on it and it's not really working as hard as it could/should, we should be able to estimate the stand-by battery life, based on the Dev B's stand-by. Could also look at a Dev B owner who is a power-user and see if they're getting 2 days of use... if they can get 2 days of use on Dev-B, you'd think the L-Series should get at the very least half of that with all its features activated and being used.
    12-20-12 02:35 PM
    If specs leaks are true, the BB10 will be using the QCOM MSM8960.

AnandTech - Qualcomm Reveals Next-Gen Snapdragon MSM8960: 28nm, dual-core, 5x Performance Improvement
    battery life-8960.jpg

Power consumption is said to be 75% lower, however that seems very aggressive compared to what we have today. It�s unclear if Qualcomm is talking about active or idle power, or what version of Snapdragon it is comparing to (65nm or 45nm).
    12-20-12 04:57 PM
    One thing I learned from my time with Android, is that having an extra battery with an external charger is invaluable...something I followed with my 9900 (even though I rarely need it) and will do the same with the L series. It's a user-replaceable battery for a reason...I will never let battery life restrict my device choice, and this practice allows me to not worry about running out of juice or finding a place to charge.
    I agree on second (and sometimes third) battery for Android device. Motorola Defy is my secondary phone and I have two high capacity spares and a charger.
    But if device A dies at the end of day 1 and device B at the end of day 2, you need twice more spare batteries for device A, don't you.
    And while those batteries can be easily put in my suitcase or backpack for long travel, sometimes I spent day or two with no luggage on short trips and I have not enough pockets to carry all this extra stuff.
    But it's all about personal priorities, work/life profiles and tastes, of course.
    12-21-12 03:44 PM