I own a Z10 since last 7 months. I have faced the problem of Battery heating up and draining faster than it should. The first time I faced this problem was four months ago, I guess, and it lasted for about six hours only. From that day I have been trying to figure out whats up with PIM services using 10-20% of the battery.

So, I have tried this solution/workaround for almost three to four months and it works everytime. It is very silly, but effective. Whenever you feel your phone is heating up. Switch if off. Wait for five minutes. The battery will cool off by 1 or 2 degrees Celsius. Start your phone. And Voila! It works perfectly normal and gives me upto 12-13 hours on heavy use, sometimes it goes upto 18-20 hours without any need for charging!

But this brings me to a conclusion too. The battery draining problem is NOT A HARDWARE ISSUE. It has everything to do with the PIM services. My guess is that PIM services get stuck somewhere in a loop, and the CPU has to keep over-performing to do that task and hence the battery starts overheating and draining. So BlackBerry now needs to SERIOUSLY address this problem. On my recommendation, two of my dear friends have purchased Z10s, and till now they haven't faced that issue more than once or twice.

This is sincere request to all those who have direct contacts with BlackBerry's influential people, or some other people who can convey it directly to them and make them hear and respond to it, that they should report this problem and make them rectify the PIM services issue or figure out a way that if PIM services get stuck, they can be easily restarted, either manually or automatically, just like you can restart the HUB.

Has anyone else tried this?
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-28-14 06:32 AM
    It has everything to do with the PIM services.
    On the forums main page there is a blue bar with a search box. Type "PIM" and press enter.
    Akshay Borkar likes this.
    04-28-14 07:01 AM
    Yes without doubt blackberry really needs to address this issue. Big time!
    04-28-14 07:02 AM
    This solution might be worth trying...nice observation dude!

Posted via CB10
    04-28-14 07:07 AM
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts and observations.
    04-28-14 07:22 AM
    Start your phone. And Voila! It works perfectly normal and gives me upto 12-13 hours on heavy use, sometimes it goes upto 18-20 hours without any need for charging!
    12-13hrs HEAVY use? My batt monitor always shows Display as the highest battery eater despite setting the display brightness to almost minimum (around 1/5). Last 48hours shows display eating up 74% while under last 24hrs, display took 46%.

Are these numbers normal in your case?

Z10 10.2.1.2141
    04-28-14 07:33 AM
    In my case it's due to my Evernote account linked with Remember. Had to download the android app as workaround... not good but at least my battery is available more than 4 hours
    04-28-14 07:36 AM
    On the forums main page there is a blue bar with a search box. Type "PIM" and press enter.
    I know, but has it made any difference? Has BlackBerry found a solution? Instead of being a ****, help blackberry improve and take notice, for a change...what say?

On my Z10
    04-28-14 07:43 AM
    12-13hrs HEAVY use? My batt monitor always shows Display as the highest battery eater despite setting the display brightness to almost minimum (around 1/5). Last 48hours shows display eating up 74% while under last 24hrs, display took 46%.

Are these numbers normal in your case?

Z10 10.2.1.2141
    My display shows 30% in last 48 hours...

On my Z10
    04-28-14 07:45 AM
    what say?
    What say? I answered in about five threads related to PIM services. It's always the same.

Yes, RIM should do something here, at least display a warning! Especially the "Push" option is ridiculous and should be buried. Think, many people who complain battery drain have this on and do never think about this.

I spoke also about the loss of data compression. No need to mention that data compression would have a measurable impact on the battery because most energy of the PIM services is wasted by sending status requests to the servers again and again. (Yes, I know, data compression does never come back ...)
    04-28-14 08:04 AM
    What say? I answered in about five threads related to PIM services. It's always the same.

Yes, RIM should do something here, at least display a warning! Especially the "Push" option is ridiculous and should be buried. Think, many people who complain battery drain have this on and do never think about this.

I spoke also about the loss of data compression. No need to mention that data compression would have a measurable impact on the battery because most energy of the PIM services is wasted by sending status requests to the servers again and again. (Yes, I know, data compression does never come back ...)
    Since you have been discussing this for longer periods, how do we get this across blackberry?

On my Z10
    04-28-14 08:10 AM
    I own a Z10 since last 7 months. I have faced the problem of Battery heating up and draining faster than it should. The first time I faced this problem was four months ago, I guess, and it lasted for about six hours only. From that day I have been trying to figure out whats up with PIM services using 10-20% of the battery.

So, I have tried this solution/workaround for almost three to four months and it works everytime. It is very silly, but effective. Whenever you feel your phone is heating up. Switch if off. Wait for five minutes. The battery will cool off by 1 or 2 degrees Celsius. Start your phone. And Voila! It works perfectly normal and gives me upto 12-13 hours on heavy use, sometimes it goes upto 18-20 hours without any need for charging!

But this brings me to a conclusion too. The battery draining problem is NOT A HARDWARE ISSUE. It has everything to do with the PIM services. My guess is that PIM services get stuck somewhere in a loop, and the CPU has to keep over-performing to do that task and hence the battery starts overheating and draining. So BlackBerry now needs to SERIOUSLY address this problem. On my recommendation, two of my dear friends have purchased Z10s, and till now they haven't faced that issue more than once or twice.

This is sincere request to all those who have direct contacts with BlackBerry's influential people, or some other people who can convey it directly to them and make them hear and respond to it, that they should report this problem and make them rectify the PIM services issue or figure out a way that if PIM services get stuck, they can be easily restarted, either manually or automatically, just like you can restart the HUB.

Has anyone else tried this?
    I have an even better solution, rather than turning your phone off, turning the airplane mode on for 5 minutes will also do the trick.
    04-28-14 08:10 AM
    I have an even better solution, rather than turning your phone off, turning the airplane mode on for 5 minutes will also do the trick.
    That's seems a better option...will try it out and report...

On my Z10
    04-28-14 08:11 AM
    I had this yesterday morning. I have no idea what caused it but System is what seemed VERY HIGH. I took it off the charger and an hour later I noticed it was quite hot. Then I noticed the battery had dropped 35%. I don't know what "locked or froze" but I Pressed the Power button and RESTARTED. That fixed it and when it restarted, about 20 or 25 emails and bbm's came in. So something was stalled and chewing up the battery.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-28-14 08:59 AM

Yep. Oh man I would upgrade but.........
    Is this just a z10 issue or z30 and Q's as well? Feel bad for anyone having to deal with this.
    04-28-14 10:30 AM
    What are we coming up with here? Meaning disabling the network "data" would also do the same trick? At least voice call can still be use.

So if this is the case, would it makes any difference with PIM battery consumption if the phone is connected to WiFi?

Z10 10.2.1.2141
    04-28-14 10:36 AM
    What are we coming up with here? Meaning disabling the network "data" would also do the same trick? At least voice call can still be use.

So if this is the case, would it makes any difference with PIM battery consumption if the phone is connected to WiFi?

Z10 10.2.1.2141
    The solution is to shut access to data whether it is through wifi or your network, doesn't matter...

But I'm not sure, may be the phone needs to restart PIM services in order to start functioning normal...

On my Z10
    04-28-14 10:45 AM
    Is this just a z10 issue or z30 and Q's as well?
    The loss of data compression is something that all BB10 devices have. BIS is a dead horse.
    04-28-14 11:01 AM
    The loss of data compression is something that all BB10 devices have. BIS is a dead horse.
    I realize the compression issue is DOA. I was wondering if the larger battery of the z30 overcomes some of this and the latest OS. Doesn't help the z10 owners but maybe is not widespread.
    04-28-14 11:27 AM
    just install any android launcher... go to android settings.. turn on andriod airplane mode.. turn off android wifi.. more than enough..!!

for more info:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...lution-913908/
    04-28-14 12:33 PM
    The solution is to shut access to data whether it is through wifi or your network, doesn't matter...

But I'm not sure, may be the phone needs to restart PIM services in order to start functioning normal...

On my Z10
    Oh yes, turning the data and wifi off might also do the trick. I have done it several times.
    04-28-14 07:47 PM