Sometimes my Z10 drains battery like crazy, and it gets really hot. I doubt it's because some apps are still running in the background although I closed all the active frames. Anybody knows how to kill them without rebooting your phone?

Posted via CB10
    08-18-13 12:59 AM
    Sometimes my Z10 drains battery like crazy, and it gets really hot. I doubt it's because some apps are still running in the background although I closed all the active frames. Anybody knows how to kill them without rebooting your phone?

Posted via CB10
    You can't. Poorly coded apps run this way. Poorly coded OS is another story:

For some reason, even after quitting some core app(s), it still remains in the background, while there's not even a reason for it to be running in the background. Though this may not be all causes of heat issue, it can be one of the issues causing battery drain.

I don't have the phone on me now so I can't name an app or core app off the top of my head.

Sent from my Motorola Startac
    08-18-13 01:08 AM
    tap and hold the "x" in the bottom right of the active frame until the app closes. it usually takes a couple seconds. this is supposed to completely shutdown the app and remove it from memory.
    08-18-13 01:36 AM
    How weird I was about to make a thread just like this one. My z10 has just recently started dying faster and heating up for every little thing I do. If I do a security swipe will this help get rid of my problem?

Posted via CB10
    08-18-13 03:32 AM
    I have been experiencing the same overheating problem but I noticed it's usually with the android side apps. I have deleted all the android apps and it's now back to normal. Can this really be the priblem?

Posted via CB10
    08-18-13 04:36 AM
    Log out your accounts in the following applications:

Dropbox
    Box
    Don't know if it's coincidence but my battery life improved after doing so.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-13 05:01 AM
    Up until now, most Blackberry apps cannot run in the background - ie when there is no active frame visible.

However Android apps CAN run in the background. And the problem is that it can be hard to know WHEN they are doing that because there is no good native utility to show you what is running in the background.

Many apps in BlackBerry World are Android apps. After you have used the device for a while you will learn to recognize them. Some of these apps can cause battery drain problems. Examples include eBay, Crackle, Slacker Radio, Waze. Native BB10 apps that have been noted to cause this problem include WhatsApp.

Also, if you just updated the OS on the device it will use extra power for a while, which can be as long as 1-3 days. It's advisable to keep the device on a charger for a while after an OS update, particularly overnight.

An easy way to see if any background apps are causing the battery drain is to do a "cold" boot of the device to clear all the software out of memory. This is not the same as a "warm boot".

WARM BOOT: Hold power button down 2-3 seconds until menu appears, then touch "Restart".

COLD BOOT: Hold power button down around 10 seconds until device powers off. After a minute to verify phone is completely off, press power button to restart. Red LED will come on for a few seconds and then the BlackBerry logo will display as it boots up. (Alternatively, you can temporarily remove the battery)

Once the phone boots, don't launch any 3rd-party apps for a while. If the battery drain is much better, then something was probably running in the background draining the battery before.
    08-18-13 06:11 AM
    I had the same issue for 3/4 times. In the beginning restarting the phone fixed the issue, next time not then I had a restart by pulling out the battery.
    Last time this didn't help either, but I fixed the issue by shooting down all network connections using the "airplane mode" wait for couple of minutes to restore them.
    Since then whenever happens this I do the same and the problem is gone! I hope this that can help...

Sent from my Z10
    08-18-13 09:39 AM
    Settings>App Manager>Device Monitor and closing app down from there worked for me (so far)
    02-03-17 12:15 PM