So here's an interesting one for you. Z10-2 running 10.3. Since the software update, my already failing battery decided to completely nose dive; it probably didn't help that I was using Deezer/radio app for 7 hours a day and therefore it being on charge for that time.

Battery charged to 100% while left off but when turning on it booted and by the time she was up and running the battery was at 30% for the 2 mins it remained on. It reset itself numerous times before I did a battery pull and realised said battery didn't fit. It had GROWN in size; bulging on the upper and lower faces so it did not fit into the slot anymore without some force and persistence. (yes I know the battery shouldn't have gone in and was taking a risk).

During the evening whilst out I tried numerous times to slot it back in and turn the phone on ; it would reboot, open the home screen and before it could load the hub, it died again.

For some reason after a short charge, she came back to life and the same hasn't occurred since. I have now replaced the battery and the was chatting to the guy who sold me the new battery who told me that the bulge was due to moisture? Is this correct? I assumed it was due to me frying the battery with both a cheap charger and really charging on/off/on/off throughout the day.

I don't work in a damp environment... but maybe some advice to others if this is correct may be a good idea to 'air' the back of the Z10s periodically....

I have also now purchased a genuine BlackBerry charger to take care of this battery.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-15 07:45 PM
    I believe the build up of gas in the battery is caused by overcharging. Really the batteries are supposed to have circuitry to prevent overcharging, but I suppose it isn't perfect.
    I have experienced swollen batteries a couple of times myself, so I reckon it must be quite common. Glad you replaced yours promptly.
    03-10-15 08:19 PM
    Batteries do fail. Temperature kills the cells. Just replace it.
    03-10-15 08:21 PM
    NEVER ever try charging or even using a Lithium based battery that is bulging. They an blow up or catch fire. You also do not want to come in contact the chemicals inside the battery.
    chaosdivine likes this.
    03-11-15 03:42 PM
    Yep. A bulging battery is not a good thing.

The one in my old Torch 9800 started to slightly bulge out, pushing on the door just a bit. Luckily, I was just about to get the Z10 at the time. The 9800 was two and a half years old by then.

It still held a charge for a short time, but after I got the Z10, it was deactivated and the SIM taken out so it was never used as phone after that. Still, I could browse the internet over Wi-Fi, and the BlackBerry News app still worked. After about 6 more months, if the phone wasn't used, it could hold a charge for almost 2 days. But if I tried to actually use it - like using the browser, it would drain to shut-down in less than 10 minutes.

Posted via CB10
    03-11-15 05:28 PM
    IMHO, moisture caused bulging may be an observed phenomenon but there MUST BE other causes...my z10 battery was starting to bulge after 22 months of daily use in the deserts of Arizona...not a damp/moist environment. I do not buy humidity in my case...over charging, maybe humidity, doubtful. YMMV.

"Dogs bark but the caravan moves on."
    03-11-15 07:28 PM
    Battery bulge is due to poor quality from battery manufacturer. Samsung S4 batteries, about 30% in the initial production were defective. I experienced 3 pregnant batteries which Samsung replaced but blamed the battery manufacturer
    03-11-15 07:50 PM
    Battery bulging is moisture but is also cause by the lithium ions reacting with other ions, speaking chemically. Lithium is a very reactive metal and the bulge can be the result of a buildup of lithium containing compounds. Charging the battery with these compounds present can cause an explosive reaction, let me reiterate EXPLOSIVE reaction. Don't charge a bulging battery. Dispose of it safely and buy a new one.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    03-11-15 08:28 PM
    Battery bulging is moisture but is also cause by the lithium ions reacting with other ions, speaking chemically. Lithium is a very reactive metal and the bulge can be the result of a buildup of lithium containing compounds. Charging the battery with these compounds present can cause an explosive reaction, let me reiterate EXPLOSIVE reaction. Don't charge a bulging battery. Dispose of it safely and buy a new one.

Posted via CB10
    See

Aircraft makers urge ban on lithium battery shipments | The Seattle Times
    03-11-15 11:37 PM