Is it just me or is the barcode scanning on the Z10 really good? I fire up BlackBerry World on my computer to check out a recommended app, fire up the Z10 and go to scan the barcode on my PC screen. Well jeepers, even before my own eyes have focused on the barcode the Z10 has it loaded.

I haven't scanned much else but this is definitely the fastest of all my gizmos at this type of scanning.
    02-21-13 07:55 AM
    I really like it. When I see an app link I like using the desktop, the QR code scans on BB world sure make it easy. NICE!
    02-21-13 08:12 AM
    what are you using to scan codes? I have an app but wondered if there was something native?
    02-21-13 08:14 AM
    It's almost like the PlayBook bridge scanning from older BB7 devices. Super quick

Posted via CB10
    02-21-13 08:30 AM
    Blackberry World > swipe from top bezel and you'll see the "scan barcode" option.
    robkd likes this.
    02-21-13 08:30 AM
    I believe that the built in Smart Tags app has a native bar code scanner, although I haven't tried it.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-13 08:54 AM
    same happened to me : was about to scan a barcode from my computer and the phone was like at 1.5 meters from the screen i swear and the thing just went BANG!! and i was on the blackberry world before i can understand what happen...really there's nothing to complain about in this area, im even very proud of it. specially with the improvement of blackberry world, the speed match (at the very least) the goggle play and app store of this world. from the point of view of a os 7.1 early upgrader.....its lightning speed!!!
    der_mit likes this.
    02-21-13 11:46 AM
    Is it just me or is the barcode scanning on the Z10 really good? I fire up BlackBerry World on my computer to check out a recommended app, fire up the Z10 and go to scan the barcode on my PC screen. Well jeepers, even before my own eyes have focused on the barcode the Z10 has it loaded.

I haven't scanned much else but this is definitely the fastest of all my gizmos at this type of scanning.
    You could also sign into your account on your computer, and click "download" next to the app, and it starts installing on your phone without you touching the phone at all
    02-21-13 11:48 AM
    You could also sign into your account on your computer, and click "download" next to the app, and it starts installing on your phone without you touching the phone at all
    Yeah. But then you'd have to be plugged in, which... totally annoys me, because when I plug my z10 in, blackberry link automatically loads, is there anyway to turn that function off?
    02-21-13 12:49 PM
    Yeah. But then you'd have to be plugged in, which... totally annoys me, because when I plug my z10 in, blackberry link automatically loads, is there anyway to turn that function off?
    yes you can turn it off in link settings. What is more annoying is the constant mounting of my phone storage over wifi even when I have "access via wifi" turned off on the phone.
    02-21-13 12:55 PM
    Actually the Z10 does not have to be plugged in to install apps via world webfront

Posted via CB10
    02-21-13 01:02 PM
    This is an astronomical jump from the humbled 9900 camera.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-13 02:31 PM
    Actually the Z10 does not have to be plugged in to install apps via world webfront

Posted via CB10
    Correct, it works well too

Posted via CB10
    02-21-13 02:32 PM
    BlackBerry World can scan all QR codes. A wipe down from the top in the app and press the scan icon.

Also, clicking install on your computer transfers directly to your phone. No plugging your phone into the computer necessary.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-13 02:35 PM
    So we did a test in the office. My Z10 vs an Galaxy SIII, a 9900, an HTC something android (the one with Bets audio if that helps) and assorted tablets.

The HTC wouldn't scan the code on my monitor screen at all using any bar code scanning software he had on the phone.

The Samsung took about 13 seconds to pop up a box asking if we wanted to open the BlackBerry World website. So I am counting that as a successful scan.

The 9900 couldn't recognize the code at all.

And the Z10 blew everyone away with how quick it worked. Definitely impressed the DROID users in the office.

Although some of the folks that work with me have iPads and iPods, no one has an iPhone and no one had an ios gizmo with them that day.

Posted via CB10
    thatplaybookguy likes this.
    02-23-13 08:36 AM
    Yes Smart Tags has a built in scan feature for bar codes. If also does NFC scanning/writing which is awesome.

Posted via CB10
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    02-23-13 09:39 AM
    I was going to download a scanner app and thought I'd just check out first to see if the Z10 had a native one. Found the smart tag app and low and behold there's the scanner. Works awesome too.
    02-23-13 09:44 AM
    Hello,

can anybody say how good the barcodescanner on the Playbook works?
    Is the focus good?
    for example can I scan into an excel sheet?

thanks
    06-03-13 09:29 AM

Posted via CB10
    Yep - this is true - downloaded three apps, and updated some others this morning. It definitely does not have to be connected to the computer. Works really well. This method of updating actually works better than directly on the Z10 app which sometimes doesn't even show I have updates available.
    06-03-13 09:41 AM
    what are you using to scan codes? I have an app but wondered if there was something native?
    Something native? I always use third party barcode readers instead.
    10-17-13 09:16 PM
    No third party software is require.. just open smart tag, there you will find scan bar code button, press and scan it will open respective website or launch BlackBerry App World.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-13 09:44 PM
    Well I guess I can delete the barcode scanner I downloaded lol
    papasumit likes this.
    10-17-13 09:49 PM