Did a search for this but got older threads. I tried backing up my data last night using bb link after installing it. It said backup complete but from what I can tell, it only my pictures, vieos and document backed up. It didn't seem to back up my contacts. How do I tell this for sure? I want to install a leaked version of OS 10.1 but will not until I know that I will not lose my contacts.
    05-16-13 07:53 AM
    Did a search for this but got older threads. I tried backing up my data last night using bb link after installing it. It said backup complete but from what I can tell, it only my pictures, vieos and document backed up. It didn't seem to back up my contacts. How do I tell this for sure? I want to install a leaked version of OS 10.1 but will not until I know that I will not lose my contacts.
    Well normally the contacts are backed up you just can't see them like the way you can see your pictures etc.
    However to be doubly sure download contact X from BlackBerry World. It's a wonderful app. It will make a complete backup of your contacts and store them in one single file on the device. You can then email the file to yourself to be a 100% secure.
    If things go wrong during the restore process your can just restore the contacts using the Contact X app. Save the file to your media card.
    Finally the official 10.1 is already out. If you're carrier hasn't pushed it yet, then it would in a day or two. Waiting would be easier than the pain of installing a leaked OS.
    euphemy and grumpyaeroguy like this.
    05-16-13 07:58 AM
    Thanks I'm on Verizon but still have the 10.09 OS and still no updates to the OS. I just checked this am. I want a backup anyways, in case something would happen to the phone. I will look into the contact X app. Thank you. Most people seem to love their leaked versions. I wanted to make sure I did the back up correctly.
    05-16-13 08:07 AM
    The leaked versions are quite good so far. 10.1 is a worthy installation. ContactX is a fine app for backing up contacts to make sure you have a copy. Sometimes for me Link fails to backup even though the program says backup complete. Always check to be sure the backup was complete before moving to an install as all will be wiped with the new software.
    euphemy likes this.
    05-16-13 08:43 AM
    I did make sure it said backup complete. I just wasn't sure if my contacts were since they weren't showing up on on bb link.
    05-16-13 08:59 AM
    Are your contacts from the sim card, locally on the phone, or from an email account?

Posted via CB10
    05-16-13 09:28 AM
    Are your contacts from the sim card, locally on the phone, or from an email account?

Posted via CB10
    This may be a good place to ask this question---I DO try to be cognizant of NOT hijacking threads. On my Z10, I find funtionality that allows me to "import contacts FROM SIM" and "COPY contacts to SIM".

So to create redundancy so that one does not POTENTIALLY lose all contacts, seems like it would be wise to copy phone contacts to the SIM, then set up the phone not to display both SIM AND device contacts, as to avoid duplicate contacts in your contact "list".

I guess, at that point then, it is wise to periodically continue copying your device contacts to the SIM card every now and then to maintain dupllicity.

Does this seem like a good approach, short of contact X as a tertiary step, to protect your contacts?
    05-16-13 09:52 AM
    Neither. I updated to the leaked version and didn't do the restore. I'm afraid to do the restore since it is over 400 mbs. What is in the restore besides pictures and music, that I would need to do this?
    05-16-13 12:03 PM
    This may be a good place to ask this question---I DO try to be cognizant of NOT hijacking threads. On my Z10, I find funtionality that allows me to "import contacts FROM SIM" and "COPY contacts to SIM".

So to create redundancy so that one does not POTENTIALLY lose all contacts, seems like it would be wise to copy phone contacts to the SIM, then set up the phone not to display both SIM AND device contacts, as to avoid duplicate contacts in your contact "list".

I guess, at that point then, it is wise to periodically continue copying your device contacts to the SIM card every now and then to maintain dupllicity.

Does this seem like a good approach, short of contact X as a tertiary step, to protect your contacts?
    Sim cards can only hold a short amount of details. I would recommend linking it to your email. There's also a chance of you losing your phone or sim card breaking.

I've always had problems syncing my contacts from my sim card to a phone. BlackBerry or any brands.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-13 12:11 PM
    How do I sync my facebook contacts with my phone contacts? Some contacts are doubled.
    05-16-13 12:29 PM
    I don't do Facebook so I wouldn't be too sure of how that works.

What I would do though if I was in your shoes is use my email account, create my contacts through there and just add their Facebook details. Then I would link it to Facebook. Again, I'm really not too sure of how they designed it to collaborate. I would have to hold your phone and see what can be done.

Or better yet, stop using Facebook =P

Posted via CB10
    euphemy likes this.
    05-16-13 12:43 PM
    05-16-13 12:47 PM
    who/what is Op?
    05-16-13 12:50 PM
    Original poster

Posted via CB10
    euphemy likes this.
    05-16-13 12:51 PM
    who/what is Op?