I'm hoping someone can tell me if this is normal or not.

I'm using Data Check Pro to track my data usage and for some reason every hour 5mb of my download gets used and I wouldn't even be using it.
    I thought it might be some app that I had causing this and deleted a whole bunch of them but its still happening.

Cheers,
    Last edited by 11pts; 11-25-13 at 03:41 AM.
    11-25-13 02:37 AM
    Nope. Thats very very odd. mine pulls in however much I get in emails and related stuff which is maybe 5mb in an hour during peak peak hours. This is assuming I'm not browsing or doing something else.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 03:23 AM
    worse comes to worse i might just have to wipe it and see if that fixes it
    11-25-13 03:42 AM
    That's normal from my experience. You never know what data it's using. Check out my burn rate thread.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=808032

Fired from my Z10
    11-25-13 03:58 AM
    thanks for your thread link! definitely interesting. Did you ever work out what the culprit was? Or just something we gotta live with?
    11-25-13 04:21 AM
    Do you have location services or that other setting that sends data to blackberry all the time?
    Background Data 5mb every hour-img_00000192.png

Z30, and yes, it's a bit on the heavy side..., but the Carbonate case is Killer!
    11-25-13 04:28 AM
    yeah i turned off my location services and also have the diagnostics off, i went through all my apps and change all settings where possible to use wifi...

just baffles me
    11-25-13 04:34 AM
    It is the email syncing. Possibly

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 04:43 AM
    even though i'm not actually getting anything?

i understand if its 1mb or so but 5mb every hr seems abit excessive..
    11-25-13 04:50 AM
    Don't think so. Emails are merely a bunch of texts, and texts are very lightweight in terms of data usage. 1KB equates to 1000 letters, about 7 full length tweets, 5MB is 5 million letters.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 04:50 AM
    Read somewhere that it might be gmail. They do some sort of synchronization over and over again. Maybe you test that

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 05:08 AM
    Read somewhere that it might be gmail. They do some sort of synchronization over and over again. Maybe you test that

Posted via CB10
    Might be worth deleting certain apps and or emails to see if they're the culprit.
    That will narrow it down. Wiping it and putting the same apps on again can likely lead to the same issues
    11-25-13 05:12 AM
    thanks for your thread link! definitely interesting. Did you ever work out what the culprit was? Or just something we gotta live with?
    It's something I've learned to accept but could be any of the following:
    1) syncing services
    2) headless side loaded Android apps
    3) emails
    4) diagnostics
    5) more?!?

Fired from my Z10
    11-25-13 10:42 AM
    Don't think so. Emails are merely a bunch of texts, and texts are very lightweight in terms of data usage. 1KB equates to 1000 letters, about 7 full length tweets, 5MB is 5 million letters.

Posted via CB10
    You're kidding right? Emails have pictures in them now.

Fired from my Z10
    11-25-13 10:42 AM
    I think I'll security wipe tonight and keep it fully stock to see if it still happens then slowly add apps back. If it is something I can stop I'd rather try to. I'm on a 3.5 gb p/month plan and on avg daily I have about 112 mb and 7-8 hrs a day I'm not connected to wifi so it works out to be about 40mb gets sucked up which is nearly half of what I should be using daily

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 04:03 PM
    You could have a look at what network connections are currently open by doing the following (appologies for going low level):

go to a QNX shell (install BGShellPlus)
    type:

netstat > /sdcard/net_out.txt

and when this finishes, type

exit

BGShell should quit, and you go back to the homescreen. Now hit the search icon, and type net_out.txt, when it finds your file, open/copy/send it to see what is using the network. There will be lots of things - you can see servers on your phone (they will say LISTEN), or things you are connected to (ESTABLISHED), or things you have finished using (FIN_WAIT). See if anything looks suspicious.

PS. don't post your results - it has all the info on your network connections and could be used to attack the phone (probably unsuccessfully, but better not to risk it).
    FF22 and 11pts like this.
    11-25-13 05:08 PM
    Vader:

Very interesting.
    11-25-13 06:59 PM
    You could have a look at what network connections are currently open by doing the following (appologies for going low level):

go to a QNX shell (install BGShellPlus)
    type:

netstat > /sdcard/net_out.txt

and when this finishes, type

exit

BGShell should quit, and you go back to the homescreen. Now hit the search icon, and type net_out.txt, when it finds your file, open/copy/send it to see what is using the network. There will be lots of things - you can see servers on your phone (they will say LISTEN), or things you are connected to (ESTABLISHED), or things you have finished using (FIN_WAIT). See if anything looks suspicious.

PS. don't post your results - it has all the info on your network connections and could be used to attack the phone (probably unsuccessfully, but better not to risk it).
    Sounds very interesting! I just wiped my phone and it looks like it fixed it, now I just need to slowly add apps to isolate what was causing the issue. However, I'll definitely give your suggestion a crack next time, I've never heard of it before.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 09:49 PM
    Keep us posted. I'm interested to know if you did not download any apps but you did setup all your emails and see how that goes without any new apps

Posted via CB10
    11-26-13 03:28 AM
    Keep us posted. I'm interested to know if you did not download any apps but you did setup all your emails and see how that goes without any new apps

Posted via CB10
    So it's been about 8 hrs since my wipe, the first few hours I left it totally unchanged no accounts added etc. No issues with data downloading.
    I then added Gmail about 4-5 hrs later until now and again no random data downloads.
    Now I've put back the crackberry app, WhatsApp, Blaq for Twitter and also added my Facebook account. So at the moment a lot of data is downloading with all my fb contacts etc..

Will report back later to let you guys know how it's all tracking

Posted via CB10
    11-26-13 03:46 AM
    The contacts sync and get more information from LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook and hence the data usage is high...
    Once it stabilises, the data usage will be normal.
    I am currently having a data usage of about 500-800KB per hour which is good enough.

Posted via the awesome keyboard on Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.1055 using CB10 App
    11-26-13 04:05 AM