04-26-13 02:12 PM
58 123
tools
    This is easily done with the right supporting hardware. You can unplug a PC and the clock keeps running for a long time. You just need a little low current timer circuit to flip a bit and start power up. Not hard, but does have to be designed into the hardware. Wake-on-lan has been around quite a while.
    It would be sleeping then and not really off. ;-)

QNX devices are built a little differently than the older devices - my PlayBook does not have timed on/off either, so I wasn't expecting the Z10 to either. I understand that the lack of the feature might upset some, but if it was important to have, the OP should have researched it before buying it. Just my 2 cents worth.

Of course BlackBerry was very tight lipped about the features available in the initial OS release, so perhaps one pays the price of being an early adopter. One can always tweet the personal need of any missing feature to the BlackBerry development team.

Posted Via CB10 on my Zed10
    04-02-13 02:45 PM
    This is easily done with the right supporting hardware. You can unplug a PC and the clock keeps running for a long time. You just need a little low current timer circuit to flip a bit and start power up. Not hard, but does have to be designed into the hardware. Wake-on-lan has been around quite a while.
    There is auto on on some PCS, you can enable it in the BIOS, but it has to be plugged in or to be a laptop. You can't use wake on lan if the computer is off (hence the name, it's not boot on lan). And just like you said, we don't have the hardware.

However, Our Zeds are not designed to boot on their own, they are not PCs.
    04-02-13 05:13 PM
    I personally used auto on off every day as I didn't want calls messages during the night and I used it as my alarm (it turned on 5 min before my alarm).

There are many "Setting" features of OS7 that I miss. Why does my calendar only show subject and not location in native view? I have to open the event to see the location.

Posted via CB10 on my Oreo Z10
    04-04-13 01:33 AM
    Agree, I loved that feature on os7 and miss
    04-06-13 05:24 PM
    since here is not auto on/off guess we have to turn or phone of manual can someone confirm, i like to turn my phone off to save battery

would i still receive calls with bedside mode and how the battery drainage in beside mode
    04-26-13 06:56 AM
    The way the device shuts down is a real power off, instead of going into hibernation like legacy devices. The good news is that battery pulls are not needed to fully reset it.

If you need to turn off notifications at night, there is bedside mode. It will display the clock, disable notifications, let phone calls come through (if you have that option set), and the alarm can be set as well. Hopefully, when the dock comes out, it will have an option to go into bedside mode automatically.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-13 07:04 AM
    How is battery drain in bedside mode I usually turn phone off to save on battery

Posted via CB10
    04-26-13 09:35 AM
    auto on/off is essential when traveling across time zones.
    without it you can be awakened at any hour of the night by people wjho don't know you're travelling.
    also, it saves battery power.
    i don't believe that Blackberry would be so stupid as to leave it off.
    i think that i just don't know how to find it... i hope...
    04-26-13 02:12 PM
58 123