OK I have no idea what I am doing wrong. Every time I try to type "of" and then a space. The freaking auto correct has put "if" in the space bar. I don't look at the space bar so it substitutes "if" every time. It does the same for "is" which becomes "us" and "do" becomes "so".

To keep the word I want I have to flick up from the space bar.

Have I set something wrong? Of is this how auto correct works? My emails and texts look like they were written by a moron.

Posted via CB10
    FrankIAm likes this.
    11-18-13 01:29 PM
    I've had that too for certain short words. It's something I guess we have to live with as auto-correct is a lifesaver most of the time.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 01:41 PM
    Autocorrect is great for some things, and terrible for others. I ended up getting frustrated too. I turned it off in settings->Language and Input->Prediction and Correction (turn off Auto-Correct with space bar). At least my errors are my own now
    FF22 likes this.
    11-18-13 04:51 PM
    I've been a little frustrated either some of the text prediction however it is no where near as bad as the iPhone I used to own, that got me into all sorts of pickles.

Edit: Perfect example above, the word with corrected* to either.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 05:55 PM
    Definitely makes proof reading a must or chances are you'll regret not doing it.

Posted via CB10
    heading4tomorrow likes this.
    11-18-13 07:37 PM
    Happens to me, and I don't remember it happening before 10.2

I've tried every possible settings combination, and it still corrects perfectly spelled words and inserts out of context ones.

C0001BBF0 - BlackBerry 10 help channel.
    11-18-13 07:43 PM
    Try the auto-correct on space bar setting. Worked for me.
    11-18-13 08:05 PM
    What is happening is that you are enabling the auto correct to **** you off. It learns from you. You can attempt to "adjust " the way it thinks by repeatedly completing a word the auto correct is frigging up for you. Type as if auto correct doesn't exist and continue on to the next word. Don't flick.

Best thing is to enter text like I mentioned above, but do this first.
    Clear learned words.
    Report back if you try it and let others know.

Auto Mistakes.   Help!!!-img_00003509.png

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 08:17 PM
    Oh don't forget that if you spell what you want, hit the space and it inserts a word you didn't want, swipe to delete and the word you last typed should appear in its place.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 08:25 PM
    Oh don't forget that if you spell what you want, hit the space and it inserts a word you didn't want, swipe to delete and the word you last typed should appear in its place.

Posted via CB10
    Swipe how?

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 07:52 AM
    Swipe how?

Posted via CB10
    Swipe right to left on the keyboard, it deletes the last typed word. 2 finger swipe deletes multiple words.
    11-19-13 07:55 AM
    Swipe across the keyboard from right to left - it either restores the word predicted to its erroneous form or delete the full word so you can type it again.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 07:55 AM
    Swipe how?

Posted via CB10
    Swipe right to left across the keyboard to delete the last word or part of a word

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 07:59 AM
    OK I have no idea what I am doing wrong. Every time I try to type "of" and then a space. The freaking auto correct has put "if" in the space bar. I don't look at the space bar so it substitutes "if" every time. It does the same for "is" which becomes "us" and "do" becomes "so".

To keep the word I want I have to flick up from the space bar.

Have I set something wrong? Of is this how auto correct works? My emails and texts look like they were written by a moron.

Posted via CB10
    Swipe up and choose "of" instead of selecting the word presented to you on the space bar. It will learn.

BlackBerry Since 2006. BB Z10,10.2 Official. Rogers Halifax, NS
    11-19-13 09:13 AM
    Thank you for the advice. That is pretty nifty.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 09:59 AM
    Clear it's learned words and it shouldn't happen anymore. If it does, correct it a few times when the auto correct pops up and swipe the correct word from the space bar, it'll learn.
    11-19-13 10:37 AM
    Clear it's learned words and it shouldn't happen anymore. If it does, correct it a few times when the auto correct pops up and swipe the correct word from the space bar, it'll learn.
    I have not had my z10 that long but can it really learn when I want IF and when I want OF (or UP/US or IS/US)? If I keep correcting "OF" to "IF" but then I really want the other, how will it know?
    11-19-13 11:22 AM
    Can someone just admit it shouldn't happen? No autocorrect should ever substitute correct words. And no workarounds should be done.

I shouldn't have to turn it off, I shouldn't have to swipe my initially correct word, I shouldn't have it to learn from me or not etc, because, well, it was correct to begin with.

That's why I said no settings combination works. For technical words, 1337 speech, or new words teens create it of the blue, yes, but not for a simple widely known two letter word.

I remember a setting on BBOS that was "Ignore words shorter than X characters", or something among those lines. We need that.

anon(5624621) likes this.
    11-19-13 12:27 PM
    I remember a setting on BBOS that was "Ignore words shorter than X characters", or something among those lines. We need that.
    Good point. I remember that too and it would be very helpful.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 01:24 PM
    Can someone just admit it shouldn't happen? No autocorrect should ever substitute correct words. And no workarounds should be done.

I shouldn't have to turn it off, I shouldn't have to swipe my initially correct word, I shouldn't have it to learn from me or not etc, because, well, it was correct to begin with.

That's why I said no settings combination works. For technical words, 1337 speech, or new words teens create it of the blue, yes, but not for a simple widely known two letter word.

Mine works great. I recognize my typing style and flaws . I've taught the phone every time it gives what I don't want. I also discovered it is my fault it does what it does. I just correct what it assumed what I wanted because I caused it in the first place with a few repeated errors. I don't worry if it goofs occasionally with an "of, on" Its been way to accurate for me to complain.
    Perfect example was someone who had dual language on the go and got "th� " instead of "the". They payed attention Not to flick "th�" when it came up and the problem went away.
    The BBOS ignore function you mentioned sounds like it would be a good addition also.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 08:14 PM
    Resurrecting this cause it's currently annoying me.

I get "for" replaced with "fir" and "but" replaced with "hut"

Seriously, how often does one type "fir" and "hut"?? I'm not a lumberjack
    FF22 likes this.
    11-25-13 04:17 PM
    Resurrecting this cause it's currently annoying me.

I get "for" replaced with "fir" and "but" replaced with "hut"

Seriously, how often does one type "fir" and "hut"?? I'm not a lumberjack
    I know what you mean. I keep getting "is" replaced with "us". Like isn't "is" a fairly used word?? Since you probably never type "fir" I'd just go into word substitution and make the change. Probably do the same thing with "hut".....how much can you use that word.....like never? :-)
    11-25-13 06:09 PM
    Interesting how substituted words all indicate typing errors that have been repeated by yourselves. Take a look at a keyboard. "fir"when wanting "for".
    Look at "us" in relation to "is".
    Look at "hut" instead of "but"
    You have typed wrong and logged that word which it now continues to suggest. Every screwy suggestions this phone has made to me showed my flawed typing. I have corrected all errant suggestions by typing properly and not blaming the phone. All these issues you all are having are your own fault. Pay attention to the common errors you have and solve it. Its not the phone if you make repeated errors in wording or sentence structure and it suggests what it does for you.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 08:29 PM
    Interesting how substituted words all indicate typing errors that have been repeated by yourselves. Take a look at a keyboard. "fir"when wanting "for".
    Look at "us" in relation to "is".
    Look at "hut" instead of "but"
    You have typed wrong and logged that word which it now continues to suggest. Every screwy suggestions this phone has made to me showed my flawed typing. I have corrected all errant suggestions by typing properly and not blaming the phone. All these issues you all are having are your own fault. Pay attention to the common errors you have and solve it. Its not the phone if you make repeated errors in wording or sentence structure and it suggests what it does for you.

Posted via CB10
    Wow. My fault? You know something, I proofread EVERY SINGLE THING that comes from my keyboard. I have never actually selected "fir" instead of "for" (I'd flick up if it automistakes something) or typed "fir" accidentally and not deleted it. I, as you say, correct all errant suggestions by typing properly.

Tell me why it puts "th" (that's accent aigu in case CB10 app isn't showing accents) instead of the English word "the". You CAN'T type an accent by mistake.
    11-25-13 08:33 PM
    Just go into "word substitution" and correct the problem word.
    IE: System settings > Language and input > Prediction and correction > Word substitution.

Tap add shortcut.
    Original word "For"
    New word "For"

Tap save.

You now wont have any more "Fir" when you should have "For"
    11-25-13 09:04 PM