Greetings All,

I've been happily using my Bold 9700 on ATT for 4 years, incl. 2+ years out of contract.
    I just came back from ATT where I discovered I can get a Z10 with no contract, for only $15 per month (for 20 months) on top of my regular plan (or pay for the phone outright and be off-contract and then be able to unlock the phone - I verified with them).

OR

I can buy the unlocked Z10 from Blackberry directly for the same price and then use it with either T-Mobil or ATT.

Here's the issue: Of all the people I know in Sacramento I do not know a single person who uses T-Mobil so I have no idea at all about their service. I've had ATT for 14 years now and never had any problems and rarely drop calls.

Has anyone here either used both ATT and T-Mobil or, for some reason, uses both, maybe 1 for business and 1 for personal, that can offer a comparison? Greatly appreciated!

Ken
    02-19-14 04:09 PM
    Better get the unlocked one or you may never see an OS update from either carrier.

10.1 for life!

Posted via CB10
    curvezzz and 1shady_llama like this.
    02-19-14 04:11 PM
    True that or you may even consider ditching BlackBerry all together, I hate to say it but I feel like I'll be waiting for Verizon to release 10.2.1 for ages. I have never considered leaving BlackBerry but honestly it's frustrating and I feel very left out in the cold right now. It's almost as if US carriers are trying to force BlackBerry users to switch. I'd rather go off the grid and not use a mobile device of anykind whatsoever.

Keep The Faith ? BlackBerry Q10 ?
    02-19-14 04:32 PM
    My wife and I have been with t-mo for 8 years, my son with at&t for about five.

Service... where we live, Malibu, both suck though T-Mo is marginally better. Marginally. We all have our magic spots to stand where the aliens allow reception. BUT... my wife's OS7 phone (on UMA) and my Z10 on wifi-calling make the t-mo coverage perfect. My son was given a femtocell by at&t but it has extremely limited range and only works one way.

Costs: T-mo wins. Period.

Overseas travel: between wifi-calling and T-mo's cheap-o international calling, T-mo wins. No question.

Support. We have found t-mo to be better than at&t.

If you ONLY cared about domestic cell coverage I guess at&t wins. Maybe. When I went to visit my son in Boston he was getting crap for at&t coverage and t-mo was an ace.

Read this: T-Mobile US Inc. Has Totally Revolutionized the Smartphone Market (AAPL, SSNLF, T, TMUS, VZ)
    02-19-14 04:44 PM
    True that or you may even consider ditching BlackBerry all together, I hate to say it but I feel like I'll be waiting for Verizon to release 10.2.1 for ages. I have never considered leaving BlackBerry but honestly it's frustrating and I feel very left out in the cold right now. It's almost as if US carriers are trying to force BlackBerry users to switch. I'd rather go off the grid and not use a mobile device of anykind whatsoever.

Keep The Faith ? BlackBerry Q10 ?
    Ur letting the US carriers win if you give up on BlackBerry. I think thats exactly what all the US carriers that are in bed with Apple want.

Google or more likely Apple has seen a legit threat in the BB10 user experience and is making under the table agreements with US carriers to make it difficult to get or us a BB10 device in the US.....

Or maybe im just paranoid....

Lets see how long it takes Kit-Kat to get through ATT's "testing"

Posted via CB10
    Beth Mitchell Reed likes this.
    02-19-14 04:48 PM
    Better get the unlocked one or you may never see an OS update from either carrier.

10.1 for life!

Posted via CB10
    twbtr, would you please elaborate on what you mean by "10.1 for life!" - does that mean you aren't going to update past 10.1? This seems to be a big issue - people who have updated their phones to 10.2, either thru their carrier or through the leaks, seem to be either happy or sorry for things that have gone wrong - some people are both. It's the thing that most concerns me in getting a new BB.

Thank you.

kh
    02-19-14 05:07 PM
    twbtr, would you please elaborate on what you mean by "10.1 for life!" - does that mean you aren't going to update past 10.1? This seems to be a big issue - people who have updated their phones to 10.2, either thru their carrier or through the leaks, seem to be either happy or sorry for things that have gone wrong - some people are both. It's the thing that most concerns me in getting a new BB.

Thank you.

kh
    Please ignore these doomsday posts. We already know there is a user who has posted here who is current on a white paper list from BBerry and is testing 10.2 for T-mo with working wifi-calling. All the US carriers seem to upgrade later than the rest of the world. And, at about the same time.
    02-19-14 05:54 PM
    Please ignore these doomsday posts. We already know there is a user who has posted here who is current on a white paper list from BBerry and is testing 10.2 for T-mo with working wifi-calling. All the US carriers seem to upgrade later than the rest of the world. And, at about the same time.
    You are bringing up a good point - "doomsday posts" - maybe it's the nature of these bulletin boards but reading dozens of posts about problems does not make upgrading to a BB10 device seem very appealing. I have been using Blackberries for about 8 years now, 2 curve models and the present Bold 9700 which has served me well and faithfully for about 4 years with almost no problems. It just seems time to upgrade to something more modern but after reading all these issues with the Q10 and the Z10 I'm having 2nd (and 3rd, 4th and 5th!) thoughts about it.

KH
    02-19-14 06:04 PM
    Tmobile!

Posted via CB10
    02-19-14 06:04 PM
    IMHO, you will not be disappointed with the z10 despite the gloom and doom you see posted---I wasn't. All that is based on using the device for communications and not games. Wife has S3 and daughter has iPhone and Z is hands down the best device except for all the game apps. YMMV.

Dogs bark but the caravan moves on.
    02-19-14 06:25 PM
    T-Mobile is awesome. Using an unlocked phone I was also able to use Telcel in Mexico with the -3 Z10.

Wish they'd offer the Q5 and Z30 though.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-14 06:29 PM
    You are bringing up a good point - "doomsday posts" - maybe it's the nature of these bulletin boards but reading dozens of posts about problems does not make upgrading to a BB10 device seem very appealing. I have been using Blackberries for about 8 years now, 2 curve models and the present Bold 9700 which has served me well and faithfully for about 4 years with almost no problems. It just seems time to upgrade to something more modern but after reading all these issues with the Q10 and the Z10 I'm having 2nd (and 3rd, 4th and 5th!) thoughts about it.

KH
    I have had my Z10 since the US launch, bought over the counter on the first day at a t-mo store. No issues. Have always upgraded with t-mo OS because I want to keep wifi calling working. My experience is, of course, far more typical of the average user. If you only went by what you read on forums, you'd never buy a phone. People come here when then have problems.
    02-19-14 06:35 PM
    And if you think BBRY users are the only ones getting screwed NOT TRUE. Nokia just pulled the rug out from several great phones/Windows updates are even slower than BB and you can't even install leaks because paranoid Microsoft has the phone locked down. I'm sticking with BBRY.
    02-19-14 06:51 PM
    IMHO, you will not be disappointed with the z10 despite the gloom and doom you see posted---I wasn't. All that is based on using the device for communications and not games. Wife has S3 and daughter has iPhone and Z is hands down the best device except for all the game apps. YMMV.

Dogs bark but the caravan moves on.
    Jaws48 thanks for the info. I use my phone for communication - emails and texting - and maybe a few apps - banking, tuneinradio, pandora, and kindle - that's it.
    02-19-14 07:18 PM
    I have had my Z10 since the US launch, bought over the counter on the first day at a t-mo store. No issues. Have always upgraded with t-mo OS because I want to keep wifi calling working. My experience is, of course, far more typical of the average user. If you only went by what you read on forums, you'd never buy a phone. People come here when then have problems.
    scranel thanks for the good info. Does wifi calling work well?
    02-19-14 07:20 PM
    scranel thanks for the good info. Does wifi calling work well?
    Incredibly well. I was in Kazakhstan using it on a conference call to the US and everyone said I sounded like I was next door. The UMA on my wife's OS7 BBerry is also great -- but think this version is the best. Others have said the same. The other cool thing is that when I'm in a wifi environment, I set wifi-calling to use wifi only and it shuts off the cell radios. With them no longer looking for connection, battery life is much better.
    02-19-14 07:45 PM
    Incredibly well. I was in Kazakhstan using it on a conference call to the US and everyone said I sounded like I was next door. The UMA on my wife's OS7 BBerry is also great -- but think this version is the best. Others have said the same. The other cool thing is that when I'm in a wifi environment, I set wifi-calling to use wifi only and it shuts off the cell radios. With them no longer looking for connection, battery life is much better.
    That's fantastic. I work from a home office where I could have wifi only on almost all of the time which would really give me great battery life.
    02-19-14 07:48 PM
    If you don't mind paying more money a month to have better nationwide service then go with AT&T. T-Mobile is ok in the big cities but it's not even close when it comes to nationwide coverage. I have never personally had T-Mobile but many of my friends did and they switched to AT&T because of their superior nationwide coverage.

Posted Via AT&T BlackBerry Z10
    02-19-14 07:58 PM
    AT&T - No Z30 or 10.2.1
    TMo - No Z30 or 10.2.1

Result: They both suck! :/

Posted via CB10
    Bobert_123 likes this.
    02-19-14 08:25 PM
    AT&T - No Z30 or 10.2.1
    TMo - No Z30 or 10.2.1

Result: They both suck! :/

Posted via CB10
    Verizon is the only carrier that released 10.2.1 on a very limited basis so all US carriers suck when it comes to OS updates. Good thing I load the OS updates myself and have never had a single issue. I feel sorry for people still on 10.1.

02-19-14 08:31 PM
    Tmobile have a $30 no contract plan 100 min talk unlimited text and Internet. You can try it out and see if it works if after 30 days you don't like the service walk away...

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    02-19-14 08:40 PM
    i think att has more coverage then t mobile but you can get the z10 or q10 for free right now on att with a 2 yr contract.
    02-19-14 10:38 PM
    i think att has more coverage then t mobile but you can get the z10 or q10 for free right now on att with a 2 yr contract.
    You're right about that. I was at ATT today and they did not have the Q10 but they did have the Z10 which I'm willing to give a try (after loving the keyboards for the past six years). I have been out of contract for 2 years though (with ATT) and I really like the feeling! So, I have to work this through (my poor brain).
    02-19-14 10:44 PM
    If you don't mind paying more money a month to have better nationwide service then go with AT&T. T-Mobile is ok in the big cities but it's not even close when it comes to nationwide coverage. I have never personally had T-Mobile but many of my friends did and they switched to AT&T because of their superior nationwide coverage.

Few ways to look at that -- if you live in an urban area where you get everyone's signals, then it's a straight choice. If you live in an area where all signals suck (where I live, even though it's So. Cali), T-mo works best -- again, we have both -- because of wifi calling. But if you move around in the states and need high speed access it's better not to be roaming. I'm almost never away from voice and edge with t-mo (also roams on at&t) but if you want something better at&t probably works best. Oh yeah, of you travel overseas, t-mo wins hands down.
    02-20-14 06:39 AM

My husband has AT&T and I am with T-Mobile. We live in TN. While we are in the city, coverage is fine. It is while we are traveling that T-Mobile is bad. Coverage is spotty for me then while my husband has all bars. I have been with T-Mobile for 12 years and have also noticed a decline in customer service. Although dealing with AT&T can give you an anuirism. It really depends on your travel needs.

In regards to the Z10, bought it when T-mobile first released it. Have had no problems and phone has been great. Bought my daughter a Z10 in mint condition off EBay and it has been great too. Both have the 1925 leaks. No regrets there. Great phones, useful features, wonderful communication devices and well built.

Zed 10 with 1925 leak
    jason yonk likes this.
    02-20-14 08:11 AM
38 12