Just came across a pleasant read for once! Go Zed10!

- couldn't find this already posted on CB. If it has been my apologies...i'll remove accordingly.

http://www.eweek.com/mobile/apples-i...tphone-models/

During the time that I was testing the BlackBerry Z10 one thing struck me as I was putting it through its paces. This device was better in many ways compared to the Apple iPhone 5 I?d used a couple of months ago. The photos I use for checking screen resolution were at least as clear if not clearer than Apple?s highly-touted retina display. The browser was as fast as or faster than Safari, and on the BlackBerry I could use Flash when I needed it and turn it off when I didn?t. But mostly it was just easier to use and it worked better. But it?s not just the BlackBerry Z10 that?s coming out on top. Nokia?s Lumia 920 has a display that?s at least as good as what?s on the iPhone, and the Samsung Galaxy S III is nearly the same. Now there are reports that when Galaxy S4 reaches the market that its display will be far better than Apple?s. A quick look at the specifications of the phones that are hitting shelves now shows clearly that the iPhone is falling behind. Each of the iPhone?s major competitors has a faster processor, more memory for the dollar and features that the iPhone can?t touch. Last year in a series of television commercials making fun of Apple, Samsung pointed out that the support for NFC (near field communications) in the Galaxy S III makes moving data between devices quick and easy. But Samsung isn?t the only company with NFC. The Nokia Lumia series of phones has had it available since last year. BlackBerry has had NFC available for even longer. But where?s NFC at Apple? Maybe the 5 S will have it when and if it?s announced this year. I could go on, but I won?t. There?s a lot more to making a better smartphone than just specifications. After all, you need good design; you need a manufacturer that?s committed to supporting their product and you need a good supply of apps to make the phone truly useful. There?s no question that the iPhone has a lot of apps, and that?s one reason this device has kept its strong position in the market.

The Galaxy also has a lot of apps as well and the sales figures indicate that Samsung?s Android phone is outselling the iPhone. BlackBerry doesn?t have the app support that Android and iOS devices enjoy.

However, the company has just announced that it has more than 100,000 apps in the BlackBerry World store. Microsoft?s Windows Phone Market claims it has more than 150,000 apps. Both devices have continued to attract developers and both app stores continue to grow. The iPhone challengers are doing more things that Apple can?t do and doesn?t appear to be likely to do soon. Android now supports multitasking, Windows Phone has supported multitasking since version 7 and BlackBerry has a rock-solid real-time multitasking operating system. Only Apple restricts you to a single task at a time where something as simple as opening a link in an e-mail requires you to open the browser, and then go back and restart the email client. Again, I could go on, but won?t. What should really concern the Apple faithful not to mention Apple stockholders as they watch their share prices drop, is that Apple is showing no signs of changing this situation any time soon. While there are rumors of an iPhone 5 S, those rumors suggest that it will just be a warmed over iPhone 5 with a few more features. What about the iPhone 6? There?s no question that Apple will launch a bigger, better iPhone eventually, but when? Will the iPhone 6 see the light of day in 2013? Maybe, but if it does, it likely won?t be before the Christmas shopping season starts this fall. Meanwhile, Samsung will have shipped its Galaxy S 4, BlackBerry will have shipped new BB10 devices and Nokia will be shipping new Lumias, each of them chipping away at Apple?s market share. The problem for Apple is that it?s stuck between needing to keep the Apple faithful happy, which means that it needs to stay close to its base (as they say here in Washington.) But it also needs to do some serious innovation if it?s going to start gaining market share again. The problem with innovation is that it also means change and it seems like the Apple faithful are happy not to see too much change.

In a sense, Apple is sort of the smartphone version of Mitt Romney. The company can?t stray too far from its base without losing support. But it has to stray far enough to win new support that it doesn?t have now. This didn?t work for Romney in his failed presidential election campaign. Will it work for Apple? It?s a tough juggling act where it?s easy to drop the ball. Apple needs to figure out quickly how to avoid dropping that ball if the company is to stay relevant.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 Oreo
    Midnight City and potatoguy like this.
    03-28-13 08:00 PM
    Great article. Truth hurts

Posted via CB10
    03-28-13 08:46 PM
    Some positive article . well done
    03-28-13 08:52 PM
    Soooo... Apple is like Mitt Romney? ROFLOLOLOLOL
    Well, I guess they're both rich..
    03-28-13 08:53 PM
    Thanks for sharing this, it's a good read

Posted via CB10
    03-28-13 09:03 PM
    Apple will always be relevant. they could easily sell if they introduce a lower cost product. still a lot of people (especially in Asia) want to be seen with an i-something. status symbol. anything with an apple logo would sell. they even stick the free stick-ons on their car just to show they have an i-something. but in reality, they just bought it because of the logo. as my chinese friend would say "apple steve jobs very very number one".
    i like the status that BB has right now. with the z10, i can say I'm BlackBerry by choice.
    03-28-13 09:10 PM
    Really like this article. Great viewpoint and I think that it got it right.

BB10 is solid.
    The BB faithful will buy it. I suspect, probably their will be 5MM BB10 users by end of Q2.
    The App builders will flock to it. Why? They know that where the big guys do not follow, they have a chance to get noticed and create a foothold. The real entrepreneurs know this. It is impossible to make headway with Apple and Android at this point. But, BB10 loyalists are actually willing to try just about all that comes their way - especially if it is a native app.

Suddenly all the App functionality that you want, and more, starts to come to BB10. (Nav, Readers, IM's, video conf, group chat, etc).

Innovators begin to realize that you can actually create BETTER stuff on BB10 than you can on Android and certainly Apple's "my way or the highway".

And then pundits start to highlight it. They have to, they need eyeballs. "Check out this cool App only on BB10!". Those pundits want to look like they are in the know....

And the next thing you know, Blackberry is Back among the early adopters. It is already starting to make it's way through corporate america again. The C suite is buying. They never could type for a damn on their iphones.

Shorts, be warned.

Innovators - take advantage.
    03-28-13 09:13 PM
    Scientists believe that if we will not hit by a similar asteroid that kills those big lizards, our sun will begin to die in about 5 billion years from now...

So, provided that we will never hit by a mountain-size asteroid, Apple has still less than 5 billion years to recover if they are failing behind... the same vision realization done by previous RIM...

Posted via Z10
    03-28-13 09:21 PM
    Really a good read.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-13 09:22 PM
    Apple will always be relevant. they could easily sell if they introduce a lower cost product. still a lot of people (especially in Asia) want to be seen with an i-something. status symbol. anything with an apple logo would sell. they even stick the free stick-ons on their car just to show they have an i-something. but in reality, they just bought it because of the logo. as my chinese friend would say "apple steve jobs very very number one".
    i like the status that BB has right now. with the z10, i can say I'm BlackBerry by choice.
    Not sure how long the status symbol of apple will last in Asia. From what I can see every taxi driver now has an iPhone.

Apples status died with Steve.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-13 09:44 PM