Hello all,

So i'm having an issue now where I delete apps, and they reappear! Facebook, Foursquare and the sideloaded whatsapp. I don't use these apps, yet they keep showing up! How can i permanently delete them?

Thanks in advance!

Posted via CB10
    03-14-13 06:21 AM
    So i'm having an issue now where I delete apps, and they reappear! Facebook, Foursquare and the sideloaded whatsapp. I don't use these apps, yet they keep showing up! How can i permanently delete them?

Thanks in advance!
    If they came with your device, they are probably being pushed by the carrier. If you delete them, they will re-install themselves.

Just create a folder called "junk" or "unused" and put the icons there.

I have no idea why a side-loaded app is re-appearing. Did you side-load it yourself?
    pandapurple likes this.
    03-14-13 07:05 AM
    Yes i sideloaded the working android version. I got the new blackberry version yesterday and now the sideloaded one reappears and is conflicting with the new version. -__-
    03-14-13 03:18 PM
    Try removing the app with the software you used to sideload.
    03-14-13 03:22 PM
    This is a method of hiding icons...

Hold down the app for a few seconds until it starts to make the breathing action. Hold and move the app on top of another one you want to make hide. It will now prompt to make a folder with them. You can name the folder. Then you can add more to that folder. It is then possible to move the folder to the last panel (last desktop).

You can then create a 4th panel by passing the folder over to where the 4th panel should be. By dragging items as if to go off the edge of the screen will move them between the panels.

I was told in later OS versions there will be a hide icon feature. You cannot delete programs that are part of the OS.
    03-14-13 03:29 PM
    If they came with your device, they are probably being pushed by the carrier. If you delete them, they will re-install themselves.

Just create a folder called "junk" or "unused" and put the icons there.

I have no idea why a side-loaded app is re-appearing. Did you side-load it yourself?
    Hi Steph, as Omnitech mentions, you can't permanently delete the apps that came with your device.

Even if they allow themselves to be deleted, like Facebook, you'll eventually be prompted with a small OS update that will return the missing app to its loving home with you.

I found this out also trying to delete Facebook. Oh well, I had a folder I made called Social with at least 4 other apps in it, so I threw it in there and now at least I don't have to see the unwanted icon.

Wait, we both don't use Facebook? What?!? SO rare to meet another kindred-soul social pariah!
    We should totally keep in touch! Friend me on, er, um, on... huh. We should totally have some kind of app to stay in touch with friends. Oh well, someone will think of something!
    Omnitech likes this.
    03-14-13 03:52 PM
    I just recognized that apps I deleted are reappearing after a device restart.
    Hope it gets fixed with new update!
    03-18-13 08:06 AM
    Same here its a pain not been able to permantly delete them
    Hopefully it will come shortly as someone else has mentioned
    03-18-13 08:44 AM
    Is this issue applying to ALL apps you've deleted, or just the ones baked into the OS (eg. LinkedIn, Sportsnet, etc)?

JB
    03-18-13 08:46 AM
    Same here its a pain not been able to permantly delete them
    Hopefully it will come shortly as someone else has mentioned
    03-18-13 08:50 AM
    Guys, It won't be fixed. It is a feature of the QNX OS... Many of us have this since we bought our PlayBooks, BB won't get rid of it because there is tight integration by the apps into the entire OS. So you can't just delete it. Sorry
    03-18-13 08:59 AM
    I haven't personally had any trouble getting rid of apps I've downloaded that I didn't like. I tried out WhatsApp and it wasn't really for me, so I deleted it. It hasn't reared its ugly head since. Apps like Sportsnet, Twitter and LinkedIn, on the other hand, have always found their way back. Any of the 'bloatware' that was on your phone when you first got it is there to stay, unfortunately. Being baked into the OS makes it impossible to delete them.

JB
    03-18-13 09:02 AM
    It's not just "QNX", this is common for all sorts of platforms. Many times it is the mobile carrier that imposes certain apps on the device.

The only confusing part is that rather than being "undeleteable", they appear to be able to be un-installed, but then return later with a software update pushed by the carrier.

My old Blackberries did the same thing. You can't delete Google Maps or Gmail from Android either.
    03-18-13 10:46 AM
    I'm having that problem with NOVA 3. It re-appears after I re-boot. And the "sim services" icon that I put in a utilities folder, re-appeared on the desktop.....huh???
    03-18-13 11:14 AM
    I'm having that problem with NOVA 3. It re-appears after I re-boot. And the "sim services" icon that I put in a utilities folder, re-appeared on the desktop.....huh???
    Has been asked and answered many, many times.

Create a folder called "unused" or "junk" or whatever makes sense to you, move the icons in there, forget about them.

I don't know why the "sim services" icon would move - my guess is that is what your carrier is imposing - it wants that icon on the desktop. I would call them and ask them.
    03-18-13 11:19 AM
    Has been asked and answered many, many times.

Create a folder called "unused" or "junk" or whatever makes sense to you, move the icons in there, forget about them.
    The app the person is talking about isn't an app that comes with the device. It's a game from BBW. A game that takes up a big chunk of memory as a matter of fact. Not being able to delete it would be a serious concern imo.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-13 11:25 AM
    Even Apple will not let you delete some apps on the iPhone so all of this is very common.
    03-18-13 11:27 AM
    The app the person is talking about isn't an app that comes with the device. It's a game from BBW. A game that takes up a big chunk of memory as a matter of fact. Not being able to delete it would be a serious concern imo.
    I assumed that "sim services" was actually a utility - since s/he had put it in a "utility" folder - and further assumed that it had something to do with the device's SIM (SIM="Subscriber Identity Module), something which carriers have a definite interest in making sure their customer has the tools they want them to to manage that SIM.

If it really is a Blackberry World application, there have been some reports of apps stuck in the installing phase, but I have not personally seen reports of apps which would not delete. The "stuck installing" issue workaround is to backup the device, wipe it and reload the OS.
    03-18-13 11:33 AM
    Pretty sad that i have to be forced to look at these on my phone that I pay for, maybe someone needs to take this to court, I remember years ago Microsoft being sued for antitrust becasue of their internet explorer and customers being abe t choose which browser they wanted to use.
    03-18-13 11:37 AM
    I assumed that "sim services" was actually a utility - since s/he had put it in a "utility" folder - and further assumed that it had something to do with the device's SIM (SIM="Subscriber Identity Module), something which carriers have a definite interest in making sure their customer has the tools they want them to to manage that SIM.

If it really is a Blackberry World application, there have been some reports of apps stuck in the installing phase, but I have not personally seen reports of apps which would not delete. The "stuck installing" issue workaround is to backup the device, wipe it and reload the OS.
    The app/game the person can't delete is N.O.V.A 3.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-13 11:43 AM
    Pretty sad that i have to be forced to look at these on my phone that I pay for, maybe someone needs to take this to court, I remember years ago Microsoft being sued for antitrust becasue of their internet explorer and customers being abe t choose which browser they wanted to use.
    But when the apps are baked into the OS, you can't delete them!! UNLIKE MS, this isn't meant to be "The be all and end all for apps" You can hide the apps, and with Win98 the antitrust suit was Internet Explorer being so tightly integrated that clicking on My Computer would bring up an Internet Explorer window with My Computer in it.

As someone else has stated, even iOS and Android you cannot delete core apps. So maybe if you don't like it, bring up a suit against all mobile platforms that you can't delete their stuff.

Stop whining and make a folder for the stuff and leave it alone!
    03-18-13 11:54 AM
    And you can always download netscape and AOL browsers on MS OS's, just that IE was tightly intertwined into the OS certain things you couldn't do like delete IE and to this day, you still can't delete IE
    03-18-13 11:56 AM
    Some android ports won�t delete and reapear after a reboot.
    One "native" app called vodafoneservice. I�m not able to delete it at all, even show it should be because it has a cross to delete.
    I moved it into a folder, but after a reboot, it�s just right there again on the home screen and not in the folder.
    03-18-13 01:12 PM

Really people, this is like complaining that your car has a cruise control or an ashtray that you don't use, you're going to "sue them" over that?

IF the thing on there had an impact on anything else the device did, or took up a huge amount of space, or ran in the background slowing the device down, that would be one thing. But they don't.

Smartphones and carriers have been doing this sort of thing for years.

Now if there's an app that you installed that you can't uninstall, that's a legitimate problem.
    03-18-13 01:18 PM
    Some android ports won�t delete and reapear after a reboot.
    One "native" app called vodafoneservice. I�m not able to delete it at all, even show it should be because it has a cross to delete.
    I moved it into a folder, but after a reboot, it�s just right there again on the home screen and not in the folder.

I've heard of one other complaint of someone having a sideloaded Android app that would 'return' after trying to remove it. (WhatsApp)

My guess is that there is something people don't understand about the sideloading process, and how to manage sideloaded apps, which is the cause of that. Technically, sideloading is not a mainstream function of the device. That is why you have to put it in "development mode" to even do it.

I'm guessing that Vodafone is blocking deletion of that "vodafoneservice" app, since it is probably part of their service. No big surprise there.
    03-18-13 01:21 PM
34 12