I'm really paranoid so I was wondering if apps downloaded from BB World on Z10 can get a virus on our phones. Not virus per say, but can our phones be hacked by people offering apps on the BBWorld?...Or, can they have access to our phone's information (other than the one I agree too)?
    Just wondering.Thanks
    02-11-13 07:59 PM
    A malicious individual could create complex spyware for the most part.
    If you allow an app to access your personal information, an untrustworthy developer could have your PIN and use it for advertising. This happened a few times on BB7.
    A fake malware could collect you password and even banking information if it is entered in the app, obtained by the app, or found in an accessible location by the app

This is most common on Android where spy-apps (usually free games from china and India) monitor your emails and sms messages. I know someone who had 3500 in etransfers jacked this way - and both the bank (PC - I know I told him to switch) and local RCMP have refused to even look at it.

This is also common on iphone apps. The difference is those apps can make in-app purchases on your behalf. They can't do that on BB but they basically have an app or free game get popular for a year. Then it switches and starts processing hundreds of 1 dollar purchases - usually until you have no cash on your cards.

So, theoretical for PB and BB10 but I haven't seen one yet. But its a very good question to be asking IMO.

Sent from my BlackBerry S10 using Tapatalk Touch Beta
    02-11-13 08:58 PM
    A malicious individual could create complex spyware for the most part.
    If you allow an app to access your personal information, an untrustworthy developer could have your PIN and use it for advertising. This happened a few times on BB7.
    A fake malware could collect you password and even banking information if it is entered in the app, obtained by the app, or found in an accessible location by the app

This is most common on Android where spy-apps (usually free games from china and India) monitor your emails and sms messages. I know someone who had 3500 in etransfers jacked this way - and both the bank (PC - I know I told him to switch) and local RCMP have refused to even look at it.

This is also common on iphone apps. The difference is those apps can make in-app purchases on your behalf. They can't do that on BB but they basically have an app or free game get popular for a year. Then it switches and starts processing hundreds of 1 dollar purchases - usually until you have no cash on your cards.

So, theoretical for PB and BB10 but I haven't seen one yet. But its a very good question to be asking IMO.

either have i and i don't know if a malware have been built for our platforms yet, BB10 is still pretty new software and QNX has always been a pretty secure platform so we shall see when these devices become more popular and people want to try and scam through them
    02-11-13 09:05 PM
    That's true. I think it will come through sideloading. As a developer they make me submit valid ID to have an AppWorld Account.

02-12-13 08:33 AM
    because of this, bb has an agreement with trendmicro
    02-12-13 08:54 AM
    Who's trendmicro?
    02-12-13 09:03 AM
    Anti-virii

02-12-13 09:03 AM
    But its not viruses we are worried about. Trendmicro would be less than useless for mobile threats on BB10. As virii should not be able to replicate accross packages due to protection levels and packing formats.

02-12-13 09:05 AM
    its not only a virii. a malware scanner too.
    02-12-13 09:15 AM
    i read somewhere or seen a video on QNX about that and of course i don't remember where...the way QNX it is built a virus can go to an active frame only and not going into the phone...maybe try to google for QNX system for mobile
    02-12-13 09:26 AM
    so the conclusion is that its safe to download anything from BBW, correct?
    02-12-13 11:39 AM
    the short answer is yes.
    but bb reviews all app submissions so they should all be checked but no procedure is perfect.
    i always advise downloading apps after reading reviews and looking into them.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    02-12-13 11:56 AM
    so the conclusion is that its safe to download anything from BBW, correct?
    i wouldnt say that

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    02-12-13 11:57 AM
    As it stands, I would say BB10 is relatively safe, compared to Android and iPhone, there are far less users to abuse, so not worth as much to scammers.
    Which, i believe, is partly why Macs traditionally have/had less hackers/virus' etc, less market share, less valuable to the bad guys!
    02-12-13 12:14 PM
    I would say BB World is safer than most.

Developers should have provided a form of legal ID, so if someone is nefarious they may be able to be tracked back by BB.

On Android, I was able to post an app to Google Play without a review and without proving my identity.

02-12-13 01:42 PM