Is there a way to tell which 3rd party apps can run in the background even of they don't have an active window?

Example, the ebay app. I was logged in the app, no active window and I got message notifications in my hub. I then looked at the app reviews for this app and a lot of users say it drains battery.

This leads me to believe that other apps could be running in the background draining battery without knowing.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-13 07:45 PM
    Is there a way to tell which 3rd party apps can run in the background even of they don't have an active window?

Example, the ebay app. I was logged in the app, no active window and I got message notifications in my hub. I then looked at the app reviews for this app and a lot of users say it drains battery.

This leads me to believe that other apps could be running in the background draining battery without knowing.

Posted via CB10
    No app not running in the frames tile can run in the background.. what it can do however is push or search for new content to then notify you to open the app and retrieve... if you notice even whatsapp has to be opened somewhat when you click on a new message.... it doesn't actually run in the background... what drains the battery is the push or pull from notifications
    04-09-13 08:11 PM
    Makes sense. Thanks for the info

Posted via CB10
    04-09-13 08:17 PM
    Android apps can, and do, run in the background.

Sent from  using Tapatalk
    04-09-13 08:23 PM
    Android apps can, and do, run in the background.

Sent from  using Tapatalk
    Where do you get that info from?

Posted via CB10
    04-09-13 08:27 PM
    This needs to come in an update soon! It's a pain in the *** to have Be Buzz and Wallpaper Changer HD open all the time in the active frames.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 12:20 PM
    What can happen is that applications that provide services to other applications through, for example, the card interface is that the serving application may not be shutting down all resource consumption as it should. To understand this let's take a hypothetical stock quote program that allows the user to pull down stock information from the web. As an added feature they publish a card interface so that other applications, a financial news application for example, can show stock data associated with a news story by using the card published by the stock quote program.

The first time the news program asks for a card the stock application is started and told someone wants a stock data card and given the data it needs to find the right stock. The stock program creates the card, fetches the data and displays it to the user. The stock program may choose to continue to update the data in real time. When the user closes the card the system tells the stock program to put the card to sleep. It does this to save startup time in case the user is going to immediately ask for data on another stock. If the memory or other resources used by a sleeping card are needed later, the system tells the stock program to close the card to free up those resources.

A problem can occur if the stock program has a bug such that when the card is put to sleep it does not stop the real-time fetching of stock data from the web. Battery is depleted and data is used with no benefit to the user.

As was mentioned this can also occur for an application that uses PUSH-PULL semantics. The server program pushes a notification to the device that data is available for an application. The application is started and then pulls the data down from the server. If a bug does results in the pull process never completing, or repeating over and over we have the same issue. This is one reason BlackBerry recommends that PUSH enabled applications have all the data pushed to them rather than use the PUSH-PULL model if possible.

This could also explain BlackBerry's caution in allowing 3rd party developers access to the headless API. One badly written but popular application can easily frustrate users. I'm sure they want to have really good management tools available so that users can see what is running in the background, what is using CPU, battery, memory, etc. and be able to stop unruly programs. Under OS 7 they had an application that did that and would kill hog processes automatically if that's what the user wants. I'm betting we'll see something like that before we see 3rd party developer access to background application programimng.
    04-10-13 01:07 PM