Ok I'm getting really annoyed with this, I just downloaded two apps one a scanner to pdf app and the other a qr scanner app.

I open both and they both want permissions to everything. Why does a qr scanner app need access to my contacts my files and various other things. This is why I left android.

If I say no then the app won't work.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-13 12:55 AM
    Ok I'm getting really annoyed with this, I just downloaded two apps one a scanner to pdf app and the other a qr scanner app.

I open both and they both want permissions to everything. Why does a qr scanner app need access to my contacts my files and various other things. This is why I left android.

If I say no then the app won't work.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah there are some apps that get on my nerves with their permissions requests... at least we can deny some permissions. most apps want the permissions that you are talking about for the whole "Social" craze that everyone is in love with... I don't get why to be honest... I never liked the whole social networking thing since the beginning, even in high school I thought it was kind of dumb. But to each their own I guess.

Btw I ended up deleting a few apps for their crazy permissions requests too. The last one being soccer ticker... you don't need my contacts to show me some soccer scores..

Posted via CB10
    04-15-13 01:03 AM
    I am doing the same... a ring-tone app doesn't need to get into my location or share files. What I have noticed is some of them disable the permission options so you can't turn off the pensions after you install... those get deleted!

Posted via CB10
    04-15-13 01:48 AM
    This happens when you pay by your personal information, not by money. That's how multi-billion dollar companies like Facebook do business. That's how they want to cut everyones tail and make one all public in the name of "social".

For that same reason I don't use several great yet want-to-know-everything-about-you apps in android. Call me paranoid, but I don't want hundreds of unknown developers or little known companies accessing my personal data unnecessarily. If similar problem persists in BB10 app world, where is the sense of privacy and security on which BB is based on? What would be the key advantage of BB10 over android?

BB, please solve this issue.
    1. Don't allow apps to ask for more permissions than they need.
    2. Even if users deny some of the permissions an app asks for, the basic functionality of that app should work.
    04-15-13 01:53 AM
    I left android for this very reason, flash light apps that need access to my contacts documents camera and files. Fruit ninja does not and will never ever need access to my contacts. I can't think of a single app that needs access to contacts. Maybe Skype. Which we don't have but I'm just saying. This has to stop.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-13 10:23 AM