Ok, I have read so many threads made by people mad and disappointed that BB10 lacks Instagram and Skype. Can a dev please tell me how hard it is and roughly what it would cost to make these apps for BB10? Skype for example I would probably subscribe to because BB10 has an HDMI out. Otherwise I would never even consider subscribing to it. I hate watching TV on my desktop. Anyway, I'm going off topic here.... sorry. so please tell me how hard it would be for either of these two company's to make a native bb10 app. I just don't get why they wouldn't make one. The more exposure the better right?

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 08:19 PM
    Please we are still waiting for Barclays mobile banking app

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 08:39 PM
    The more exposure the better right?

Posted via CB10
    im guessing (i don't speak for these big companies so we are all guessing at the end of the day) that its about getting a good ROI (return on investment) for the app. Sadly the BB10 userbase isn't that big right now as the platforms not long been launched, so currently that ROI is smaller than a OS with more subs.

As for time and cost that's different per app due to its functions so i wouldn't really wanna guess in the dark tbh.

what i would say is that BB10 shipped 2.7m units, now if BB10 came to playbook that would almost double to 5m, which would increase the potential ROI for a dev.
    07-06-13 08:43 PM
    Apps can range from $500 to $500,000 depending on many things, the size of the company, amount of devs, how complicated or hard coding the app/game is, test devices, playing these people daily etc.
    07-06-13 09:10 PM
    So an app that basically streams tv could cost into the 100's of thousands? I could see Instagram being a little more complicated but Netflix to me considering it is just streaming tv and movies shouldn't be that complicated to make... just my opinion and I know nothing about developing apps.... lol

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 09:38 PM
    I've worked on now five major banking apps. The total cost, including support, is well into the tens of millions per platform. One large bank we work with has a staff of 45+ in mobile operations now. There is a full time staff of 4 just doing security work around mobile.

Huge companies can't even *think* about doing something without spending $50k just in meetings. We/they certainly have our hands full with multiple versions of android, all sort of different devices, iOS 7 coming now in just 3 months which will require significant changes. Nobody wants to even think about another platform unless the numbers are compelling.

And no HTML5 is not the answer. Our results show that real users conduct more business and have significantly higher satisfaction ratings on native financial services apps. We can also offer higher risk profile features natively because of the flexibility we have writing native code for android and iOS.

Of course these are top 5 US based banks. Large banks in other countries may see the market differently.

Even a company like Facebook is not what they used to be. For them to take on a new product is a big deal , and not something to invest in without some proper ROI which BB10 doesn't yet offer until the numbers are at least in the tens of millions of potential users.
    07-06-13 09:55 PM
    I did not realize there was so much to it. Doesn't a banking app just direct you to the mobile Web site?

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 11:48 AM
    Lol wow that's a lot of money I guess we will keep waiting then maybe after ios7 launches we might get some apps

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 12:00 PM
    As long as (unaproved) sideloaded versions work well enough for many apps (like Instagram), I'll say that officially porting an already developed Android app couldn't be very costly in those cases. So the decision not to do it is, in my opinion, based on reasons other than the pure financial cost of a development team.

--------------------

Calorie Monitor Pro for Z10, Q10, Q5 and PlayBook
    07-07-13 12:24 PM
    But doesn't sideloading run the app using the Android runtime whereas a ported app is run by BB10 OS? Then wouldn't it take some resources and time? Might not be worth it.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 12:28 PM