I just tried the z10 at At&t. **** know how to say about it. It is so smooth and strange so i need to take time to get it. One thing is it is lack of apps. I can not find Viber, banking apps, Skype, etc. Also, the Youtube app on Z10 is not exact a app, I mean, it will connect to BB browers to run, and I don't like that way. It is just my opinion.
    I heard that we can convert from Android apps to BB10, so is that true?
    Now, I'm confused between the iP5 and z10. I'm not a big fan of Apple, but one thing I wanna say is Apple is doing a great job on idevices.
    So I'd like to hear what is making you are interested in Z10.
    Thanks everybody.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    03-27-13 04:23 PM
    I just tried the z10 at At&t. **** know how to say about it. It is so smooth and strange so i need to take time to get it. One thing is it is lack of apps. I can not find Viber, banking apps, Skype, etc. Also, the Youtube app on Z10 is not exact a app, I mean, it will connect to BB browers to run, and I don't like that way. It is just my opinion.
    I heard that we can convert from Android apps to BB10, so is that true?
    Now, I'm confused between the iP5 and z10. I'm not a big fan of Apple, but one thing I wanna say is Apple is doing a great job on idevices.
    So I'd like to hear what is making you are interested in Z10.
    Thanks everybody.

Please have a look around the Z10 threads and you will find out what people like/dislike of the phone. (you have much more info there in number and quality, than what can be summarised in a post).
    Some of the things I love: The UI, the handling of email, integration of email, contacts, social media, calendar etc in one place, just makes info flow perfectly and be in one place for a quick but in depth access.
    The stability of the OS is superb. The hub is just one of the most effective and user friendly ways I have experienced in managing my communications.
    The keyboard is by far the best I have used. I was a full qwerty physical phone addict (I do huge emailling during the day on my phone) and the Z10 is after a month even better than my older p.k qwerty phone.
    Browser is super stable and very fast. Works perfectly (have not had a single issue in months).

These are some of the things I like about the Z10 (just to sum it up). You can find more in the forums as I said above.

Also in the apps front there is a lot of info on other threads apart from this one. For example Skype - as has been already pointed out - is on the way for sure. I am not so what etc means but honestly, please look up in the threads around the forum (the search function is superb in CB . ). This will avoid packing up the thread with the same info

You cannot convert Android apps. Android Apps can -and many are being- ported by the developers, to be functional in BB10 OS through the "built in android emulator" on BB10, meaning they are not native BB10, built for BB10 apps. They are built for Android and as such do not take advantage of the full capacity of UI possibilities BB10 can offer (cascades for instance) but are working as they would on Android once the dev has ported them for BB. (the emulator is to receive an update soon to accept newer generation Android ported apps).
    Also there is "sideloading" but this is not the official way to go. Look that up in the forums for more info.

As per youtube issue, well if it is your preference it is what it is. Let me just point out that the browser on the z10 is AMAZINGLY good and honestly you can use the full youtube full browser site perfectly, what more can you ask in terms of youtube on a portable device, other than to be at par with a PC in terms of youtube rendering full site experience?!!

c ya around!
    Last edited by currentodysseys; 03-27-13 at 05:50 PM.
    03-27-13 05:40 PM
    Please have a look around the Z10 threads and you will find out what people like/dislike of the phone. (you have much more info there in number and quality, than what can be summarised in a post).
    Some of the things I love: The UI, the handling of email, integration of email, contacts, social media, calendar etc in one place, just makes info flow perfectly and be in one place for a quick but in depth access.
    The stability of the OS is superb. The hub is just one of the most effective and user friendly ways I have experienced in managing my communications.
    The keyboard is by far the best I have used. I was a full qwerty physical phone addict (I do huge emailling during the day on my phone) and the Z10 is after a month even better than my older p.k qwerty phone.
    Browser is super stable and very fast. Works perfectly (have not had a single issue in months).

These are some of the things I like about the Z10 (just to sum it up). You can find more in the forums as I said above.

Also in the apps front there is a lot of info on other threads apart from this one. For example Skype - as has been already pointed out - is on the way for sure. I am not so what etc means but honestly, please look up in the threads around the forum (the search function is superb in CB . ). This will avoid packing up the thread with the same info

You cannot convert Android apps. Android Apps can -and many are being- ported by the developers, to be functional in BB10 OS through the "built in android emulator" on BB10, meaning they are not native BB10, built for BB10 apps. They are built for Android and as such do not take advantage of the full capacity of UI possibilities BB10 can offer (cascades for instance) but are working as they would on Android once the dev has ported them for BB. (the emulator is to receive an update soon to accept newer generation Android ported apps).
    Also there is "sideloading" but this is not the official way to go. Look that up in the forums for more info.

As per youtube issue, well if it is your preference it is what it is. Let me just point out that the browser on the z10 is AMAZINGLY good and honestly you can use the full youtube full browser site perfectly, what more can you ask in terms of youtube on a portable device, other than to be at par with a PC in terms of youtube rendering full site experience?!!

c ya around!
    +1 on the browser. It's awesome having a device in your pocket that can accurately display almost any full webpage (including flash).
    03-27-13 06:02 PM
    Wow. Just wow....

Op - that's a detailed post. I'm sure someone will find something of use in it. Good luck in your search! Hopefully the qnx platform brings u back at some point.

For what it's worth I charge my device multiple times a day. I've only ever owned blackberry devices so I have no comparison. I assume though that it's due to the fact I can't put this device down...and not due to poor construction.

Bla1ze was right. think we all need to take a breathe and not feel personally attacked when a review less than 100% comes out.

It's allllllll good!

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 Oreo
    currentodysseys likes this.
    03-27-13 06:02 PM
    The media you were playing and stopped after locking your phone, was it a video? Because that would make total sense to me. Playback of .mp3 should not stop after locking the phone, at least I wouldn't expect it to. Don't have my phone to test with yet.
    You're correct, I lock my Z10 while working out and music plays fine.
    03-27-13 06:05 PM
    Thanks. Everything is good, but the apps, and I hope they are on the way to BB store. I really need those app.

03-27-13 06:50 PM
    Btw, the map is very terrible. Hope it will be better soon

03-27-13 06:52 PM

I find the turn by turn GPS navigation of BlackBerry Maps is very accurate and fast. I then use Nogago for biking/hiking purposes. I've also found the browser on the Z10 to handle Google maps mobile really well.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-13 07:35 PM
    How did you manage to turn LTE off on the att phone. It's not possible in my opinion.

Your bad battery life could be because of the LTE usage. Ive been running my unlocked Rogers phone on the ATT network for A few days now. The phone switches to LTE when in at home (Princeton).

I'm currently traveling and onsite in Iowa where I get just HSPA... the battery life has improved.

I'd agree the battery isn't great, for the life of me I can't figure out how people like Kevin and others here get great battery life with heavy usage...but I can say it gets u through the day with a single charge if you fall into light usage category.

Light usage for me - 2 calls, about 30 odd mails, phone silent all day cos of meetings, wifi on. Came away with 45% battery life left over after an 8 hour work day. Only app running was Battery Guru.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-13 07:59 PM
    if you use your phone for business purposes, constant email and such, then it will drain fast. my first day at work with it, i couldnt go pass 2pm without finding a charger. its unfortunately sad. but wait for the Q10, battery will be exceptionally better
    03-27-13 08:48 PM
    Blackberry Z10 - Worst battery life on a mobile phone, ever - MacRumors Forums

OP's thread in an apple website...look at the comments vs. the comments here! its halarious
    Carmels, bintheredundat and agp101 like this.
    03-27-13 09:12 PM
    I didn't feel like reading 6 pages of posts, so I don't know if someone has discredited this yet or not. I just loaded up a video on YouTube and put my screen to sleep both over wifi and HSPA. You can also minimize the browser to a tile and it still plays fine.

OP you had a lot of good points but some of your cons were indicative to that of someone who has been submersed in the iPhone world for a long period of time. I don't feel as though you've given the phone a far shack, given the fact you've stated you've used previous model phones for longer periods of time. But hey, to each their own!

Posted via CB10 using a Z10
    03-27-13 09:29 PM
    Blackberry Z10 - Worst battery life on a mobile phone, ever - MacRumors Forums

OP's thread in an apple website...look at the comments vs. the comments here! its halarious
    Doesn't look like the OP got much traction on a primarily Apple forum as well. I was surprised to see some MAC supporters come to the Z10's defense.

03-27-13 09:37 PM
    Apple iPhone5 (Verizon)
    - 64GB at $850
    - 16GB at $650

Set Your Location

BlackBerry Z10 (Verizon)
    - 16GB at $600

So yes, the 16GB versions of the phones may show difference if YOU believe there is no music streaming and bad battery life. I think there are GREAT music streaming apps (8tracks, rdio,nobex and others) and the battery IS on par with all other smartphones. But here is something that you should look at... this is the set up that I have.

FSeverino's BB Z10 Setup:
    16GB BB Z10 - $600 (Verizon price)
    64GB Sandisk Card -$60 (Amazon)
    Z10 Battery Charging Bundle - $50 (CB Store)

Total Price: - $710
    Total Package: 80GB of Music/Movies ON DEMAND and WITHOUT using data (which drains battery) AND enough battery to get me through a LONG weekend without a charge.

MATH:
    64GB iPhone5 - $850
    FSeverino's Package - $710

TOTAL SAVINGS - $140

So yes. The Z10 may not work for you in the way you want, but if you are a 'power user' of any phone there is no TRUE reason to say that the Z10 is not a better option than the iPhone5 in terms of content consumption and battery life.
    ***Again, this is the way I see it... if you see it different then have fun your way, I know thats what I'm doing
    03-27-13 10:38 PM
    BlackBerry Maps is good for turn by turn navigation, I think, very accurate, but yes it's missing some bells and whistles. You should check out Waze, it's an excellent replacement.
    03-28-13 07:16 AM
    As stated everywhere :

Turn off lte.
    Turn off active swipe when hibernating.

This will give you 30+% better battery.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-13 07:27 AM
    Could I ask a question? I know Skype is not available on BB appstore. And I need to contact with me family by Skype. So, if I use BBM, and my father does not use it ( he uses the iPad), I couldnt make a video call by BBM with him? Is that right?
    Thanks

03-28-13 09:15 AM
    Could I ask a question? I know Skype is not available on BB appstore. And I need to contact with me family by Skype. So, if I use BBM, and my father does not use it ( he uses the iPad), I couldnt make a video call by BBM with him? Is that right?
    Thanks

Right. Both users must have bb10 and or play books for bbm video to work.

Try faceflow as an alternative.

03-28-13 09:18 AM
    So will faceflow make the video call with Skype and BBM?

03-28-13 09:19 AM
    Unfortunately not. Faceflow is a vid conf alternative to skype and bbm video. But it's getting some good reviews. It's free and works across platforms as well as mobile to pc browser.

03-28-13 09:32 AM
    I had to admit. When I first got this phone. I was extremely worried about the battery. ( ive had it since 22nd. ) I would get it off the charger got thru my messages I would get during the night. and before I rolled out of bed. I was already at like 90-95%.. WTF??.. Now ive noticed that when I roll out of bed. im still @ 99% I do believe it takes time for the battery to settle in. as dumb as it might sound It just seems to be true. my battery lasted all day yesterday all night last night and I just plugged it in about an hour ago it still had 15-20% left. im not so much worried about the battery. im more worried about the apps.
    as far as it downloading bloatware. today for instance I got an update. only 1 meg. but it was an improvement not replacing bloatware.. also ive had other updates aswell. not just replacing att's useless apps.. seems to be more involved. because I haven't removed their apps. I just put them in a folder on the last page
    03-28-13 10:09 AM
    Doesn't look like the OP got much traction on a primarily Apple forum as well. I was surprised to see some MAC supporters come to the Z10's defense.

The only people I saw "defending" (using the term loosely) were people who have made a home on Crackberry. Definitely wouldn't call them MAC (sic.) supporters. I've never seen a BB thread gain much traction from within Apple or Google product forums because most people over there could care less.

pjstock42, 2 questions for you. I'm interested to see if our experiences are similar.
    1. What do you think of the notification system (or lack thereof) on the Z10 when compared to the iPhone5? Do you prefer the simple LED, or do you like the iPhone message alerts with preview, etc? Just an opinion question more than anything.

2. Regarding the smoothness of the OS. iOS is buttery smooth throughout the entire OS. I find with BB10, the homescreen and hub are equally smooth, but once you start getting into the apps, things can get very choppy and laggy. Any comment on this?
    03-28-13 10:28 AM
    Both Apple and Blackberry fully control their own ecosystem, i.e. hardware + software. That is the main reason I must go for either of them rather than Android on any OEMs. Currently, I am an iPhone 4 user and my wife an iPhone 3G--> 5. I will definitely switch to Z10 in two months (when upgrade is allowed by FIDO) based on iPhone biggest downsides - stale iOS and its terrible battery life (especially after the update to iOS 6.1.2). Problem with battery life, one of the poster's attempts to discourage people from switching to Z10 from iPhone, is not convincing. As an iPhone user for years, I would say iPhone's built-in battery (no way to swap battery) is the worst design among other smartphones in the world. I don't know if I am considered myself as a heavy user or not, only checking less than 10 emails; texting 2-3 messages on WhatsApp and viewing 2-3 webpages daily (no video streaming and no music streaming). Neither my iPhone 4 nor my wife's iPhone 5 can get thru the day on a full charge so we have to charge the phones at least three times within 8 hours window for that light usage. Is it a good battery life? Certainly, for now, I cannot compare it with Z10 until I finally get it on hands.

Regarding the apps issue, maybe I am not an apps junkie so I don't see tons of apps available in iOS is a determinant for keeping me as loyal as an *****. Every single day, the App Store bugging me for updates for the same app actually brings in bugs to fix bugs. Most of the apps crash at any times. A typical example is the "CBC News" - its icon has been sitting on my iPhone for more than a month but cannot be used. Having already downloaded 80 Apps on my iPhone since 2010, I have not touched 76 of them for a year - that means the apps that are really used on daily basis are 4 only. Personally, I don't worry much about apps selection in Z10. I had couple of times swinging by the store and playing with the Z10 and found out that with its most innovative mobile computing platform, I have no doubt about its potential for captivating developers for apps.
    03-28-13 12:09 PM
    The only people I saw "defending" (using the term loosely) were people who have made a home on Crackberry. Definitely wouldn't call them MAC (sic.) supporters. I've never seen a BB thread gain much traction from within Apple or Google product forums because most people over there could care less.

pjstock42, 2 questions for you. I'm interested to see if our experiences are similar.
    1. What do you think of the notification system (or lack thereof) on the Z10 when compared to the iPhone5? Do you prefer the simple LED, or do you like the iPhone message alerts with preview, etc? Just an opinion question more than anything.

2. Regarding the smoothness of the OS. iOS is buttery smooth throughout the entire OS. I find with BB10, the homescreen and hub are equally smooth, but once you start getting into the apps, things can get very choppy and laggy. Any comment on this?
    1. In my opinion, I think the best possible solution would be to implement both of these features. Z10 notification light is great for when your phone is on sleep sitting on your desk as you can just glance over at it to see if there are any notifications waiting for you. iPhone doesn't have anything like this but in terms of notifications when you are using the phone, I prefer iOS as I can see the ribbon at the top of the page telling me what the notification is. Ideally, there would be ribbon notifications as well as a notifications light as this would be the best of both worlds IMO.

2. I think iOS and BB10 are both equally smooth throughout the stock parts of the OS. In terms of apps, I did notice some slowdown on a few BB10 apps but I have also seen this in iOS apps as well so it's hard to make much of a distinction here.
    03-28-13 12:18 PM
    Disclaimer: If you have already made up your mind to get a Z10 and are looking for validation, this isn't your topic.

I know that any topics expressing negative opinions towards BlackBerry devices are looked down upon here, but I just want to post my experience here for anyone looking to potentially make the switch from an iPhone 5 to a Z10.

(The first section of this post is most likely a one-off experience, so if you are just looking for impressions on the phone, scroll down)

My journey with the Z10 began on Friday (AT&T US launch date). As I was traveling through New Jersey, I found a nearby mall with an AT&T corporate store and decided to head in around lunch time. After checking out the phone for a few minutes, I decided to make the purchase and walked over to the counter. Not only was the sales associate shocked that I actually wanted to buy one (she didn't even know what the "Z10" was until I explained it to her) she then proceeded to tell me that I was unable to purchase a Z10 at the no commitment price and that it was only for "new activations". This made no sense to me as I have purchased countless new phones on launch day from AT&T stores on the no commitment price as I change phones to often to even be eligible for an upgrade. After going in circles with store management for half an hour, I walked away with no Z10 and was forced to call AT&T Premier customer support.

Premier support swore up and down that I COULD purchase a Z10 for the full retail price, so I walked back into the store and had the corporate rep talk to the store manager on the phone. After another 10/15 minutes, I again walked away with no Z10. I could not believe how immensely difficult it was for me to buy this new product. This was not a launch that was creating huge demands and causing lines out of the door, it was a device that AT&T should be desperate to sell to anyone, especially a loyal customer with $600 ready to throw at them.

Thankfully, this story came to an end when I went to another AT&T corporate store 10 minutes away and purchased the Z10 with no problem. Clearly this was just an issue with one stubborn/ignorant AT&T store manager, but still a frustrating way to start my Z10 experience nonetheless.

Ok, now on to the phone itself.

A little background: As mentioned earlier - I switch phones, a lot. I'm a sucker for new technology and I hate missing out when a new phone comes out as I believe that every platform/device deserves a chance.

Over the past 2 years or so, these are the devices I have owned (usually for at least a couple months at a time):

BB 9900
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    iPhone 4S
    HTC 8x (Windows Phone)
    Motorola Droid Razr Maxx
    Nexus 4
    And most recently, iPhone 5 (since launch)

Strictly my opinion here, but out of all of these, the iPhone 5 provided the best combination of functionality, performance and reliability.

To avoid typing a novel here, I'll jump into the pros and cons of the Z10 (in my experience)

Pros

-Multitasking: This device has the best multitasking I have ever seen on a mobile phone

-Speed/Performance: Very easy to zoom around the OS with minimal slowdown

-Notification light: No-brainer here

-BB10 OS: Really a great OS to use, very polished and genius integration of gestures

-Blackberry Hub: Not much to say here, it's awesome to have all of your stuff in one central place

Cons

-No competent streaming music platform: Having become accustomed to using Spotify on my iPhone, I made the switch to the Z10 expecting Slacker to be largely the same. I was wrong. The Slacker BB10 app offers almost no features for premium subscribers including no playlist creation or offline caching. Deezer looks to be promising but is not available in the US.

-The little things matter: To get around the limitation of Slacker, I downloaded some type of "Download Manager" from BB World that could be used to download YouTube videos. After downloading a few songs from YT and locating them on my device, I began to listen to a song and convinced myself that I could deal with this work around for the time being. As I hit the top button to put the phone to sleep and put it in my pocket as I listen to music, the song stops. That's right, you can't put the phone on sleep and have the media continue to play - extremely frustrating.

(Please note that the above complaint is in reference to a video file being played by the phone's native video player. On an iPhone 5 you can lock the screen while a video is playing and continue to listen to the sound while the screen is off)

Other little things have been extremely frustrating as well. Text messages often come in with the incorrect timestamp, meaning conversations that occurred in the past hour are shoved down the list as happening last week (before I even had the phone). Push email with Exhange is sloooooow to communicate with the server. Messages pop up on the device quickly, but after reading an email on my desktop, the Z10 will continue to blink it's red light for 10/15 minutes whereas the iPhone would know almost instantly that an email was opened on another device.

-App selection: Not to beat a dead horse here but the app selection on BB World is nothing short of pathetic. Yes, big name apps like Facebook and WhatsApp are available, yet (these 2 especially) they are horribly developed and a pain to use. No banking apps is a huge shortfall and while there are some decent games, I'm not going to pay $6.99 for a game that was ported over from Android to BB10. Simply put, BB World is a half-baked effort and while I believe that the platform has promise, BB has a loooooong way to go to catch up with the big boys (iOS/Android) or even Windows Phone 8 for that matter.

-Battery Life: Here it is, the one thing that is causing me to ditch the Z10 after less than a week of owning it, the battery life. All else equal, if this phone had good or even moderately good battery life, I would be keeping it to see how the platform grows. The thing is, this device has the worst battery life I have ever seen in any mobile device, ever.

Before you jump down my throat, I have spent hours on end scouring the CB forums for ways to improve battery life and have tried dozens of fixes/tweaks to no avail. I am literally having to charge my Z10 from 0% - 100% a minimum of 2/3x a day, where the iPhone 5 would need one charge at night under the same usage conditions.

I've been told that the battery life will "get better over time" (which makes no sense) but at this point, I've had enough. I travel for work and after one short 2 hour flight of listening to music and writing a few emails, the battery on the Z10 is down to sub-20% from a full charge. Not only is the battery life horrendous, charging via USB is INCREDIBLY slow and almost not even worth it, meaning you will need to always have access to a wall outlet if you want to get any meaningful charge into your battery.

There is just no way that a brand new smartphone in 2013, with Bluetooth off, NFC off, LTE off and the screen brightness down to barely visible, should only be lasting a maximum of 4/5 hours per full charge. One of the things I loved most about my old BB Bolds/Curves was the amazing battery life. I understand the that battery life on a full touchscreen phone would be less, but there is no excuse for this type of performance when phones from Apple/HTC/Samsung/etc. all have better battery life with comparable or better internal hardware.

This topic is not meant to incite a trolling war or anything of the like, I simply wanted to document my experieces here to benefit other consumers.

Please feel free to post or PM any questions you may have. I will be continuing to use the Z10 exclusively until Friday when I return home from my current business travel.
    I hear you. I'm the first to say that the app selection is absolute crap and that I'm far from extatic about the z10. However, the battery thing is an app issue, I can guarantee you that. I had absolutely lousy battery life with the z10 from the get go. I also had reboots 2-3 times a day, the phone would get hot and what not. I then wiped the phone, formatted the SD card and only installed apps from the market (no side loads). Ever since then, the phone's been stable and the battery has been just fine. I can't believe it's the same phone I was about to throw out if the window a week ago.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-13 12:54 PM
131 ... 3456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD