My battery is at 80% and I've done nothing but send a few texts today and look at Facebook for two minutes. It's been off charge for 4 hours.

I'm waiting for Rogers to send me a replacement, has anyone who exchanged their unit found the battery improved on the second unit?

Thanks
    EuroPolska00
    02-19-13 11:46 AM
    Hi. I did return mine which was draining about 20-30% an hour. At the same time I had an issue with my home router which was blocking some services which may have added to the drain.

I am definitely happier now, probably about 10% an hour which is still way higher than I'd like, but hopefully future updates will improve that.

I have just ordered the battery charger pack so that should make life easier in case 9/10 hours isn't enough.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-13 11:52 AM
    Hi. I did return mine which was draining about 20-30% an hour. At the same time I had an issue with my home router which was blocking some services which may have added to the drain.

I am definitely happier now, probably about 10% an hour which is still way higher than I'd like, but hopefully future updates will improve that.

I have just ordered the battery charger pack so that should make life easier in case 9/10 hours isn't enough.

Guys some usfull hints that crackberry posted last week about saving battery is: turn off NFC is youdon't use it, wifi is you are not at your work or home and bluetooth as well, once I started doing that I saw lots of improvment I had full charge this morning at 6 am is at 80% right now and I Read about 30 emails on my phone. so try that and see if you can see any improvment.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-13 12:03 PM
    Thanks for the tips but I've had NFC and Bluetooth off since I tried bridging to my PB and saw about 35% drop in an hour (that was the previous one), and wifi only enabled at home or work.

Is 10% higher than you are seeing?

Posted via CB10
    02-19-13 12:08 PM
    My battery improved DRAMATICALLY after a week of use... call it conditioning (some people will tell you that's not possible with a lithium polymer battery).. call it heavy syncing in the first few days (with only 30 days data seem unlikely that my initial syncs would have drained that much).. call it the novelty wearing off and playing with it less (can't see it.. my blackberry is a work house.. calls, hundreds of emails.. on the CB10 app constantly.. this phone pretty much never rests).. call it whatever you want, but my battery is now lasting me 13 hours or more on an average day.. very happy with it.

EDIT: I have bluetooth on 24/7 - bridge to the playbook. wifi always on, nfc always on, screen brightness a little less then half..
    brian4591 likes this.
    02-19-13 12:11 PM
    My device must be fine, went to bed at around 1, device bedside. Woke up it went from 95 to 89% (this is at 8 am) . It is now 1:08 pm, did some light browsing , texting etc and I'm at 76 %. I'll probably be able to make it home at 5, play robotek or some game and maybe charge tonight around dinner or bed time. I'd conisder myself a moderate to heavy user and im able to get at least 12 or so hours out of it! Treat your lithium ion batteries properly, don't fully discharge, keep it above 30-40 % , and don't leave it fully charged and plugged in all the time.
    just_luc and europolska00 like this.
    02-19-13 12:11 PM
    Thanks for the tips but I've had NFC and Bluetooth off since I tried bridging to my PB and saw about 35% drop in an hour (that was the previous one), and wifi only enabled at home or work.

Is 10% higher than you are seeing?
    Do you have any app open such as twitter....? I turn my twitter off only sign in every few hours and turn it off again, maybe the next OS update will get better battery savings, we need to realized that is a new sytem and has lots of cliches still. Good luck there.
    Posted via CB10
    02-19-13 12:13 PM
    My battery is at 80% and I've done nothing but send a few texts today and look at Facebook for two minutes. It's been off charge for 4 hours.

I'm waiting for Rogers to send me a replacement, has anyone who exchanged their unit found the battery improved on the second unit?

Thanks
    EuroPolska00

That's nowhere near detailed enough for crackberry to believe those results. We need a forensic audit of your phone use minute by minute in those 4 hours.

Signed - Red Stripe

But seriously, that's an abnormal drain - quite a few users reported the same issue and a new phone solved it for them. I really do wonder if there is a bad batch of phones out there.

-Chris-
    europolska00 likes this.
    02-19-13 12:16 PM
    Battery life was pretty bad for the first week, but now it's much better.

These are the charging instructions I was given on how to condition your battery the right way. These are from a BlackBerry employee.

1) Full charge cycle for 24-48 hours uninterrupted (in other words, leave it plugged in for 24-48 hours non-stop)

2) Then burn down to auto shut off (use it till it dies)

3) Then 12 hour charge and back to 0 (charge for 12 hours and use till it dies)

4) Then use normally

Posted via CB10
    02-19-13 01:19 PM
    Battery life was pretty bad for the first week, but now it's much better.

These are the charging instructions I was given on how to condition your battery the right way. These are from a BlackBerry employee.

1) Full charge cycle for 24-48 hours uninterrupted (in other words, leave it plugged in for 24-48 hours non-stop)

2) Then burn down to auto shut off (use it till it dies)

3) Then 12 hour charge and back to 0 (charge for 12 hours and use till it dies)

4) Then use normally

Posted via CB10
    This was true of old ni-cad batteries.. and some people still give out this advice, but it's not valid for current ly-po batteries.. in fact there is some evidence that letting one die completely actually harms it slightly, and a FULL CHARGE can be obtained within a few hours.. when it says it's full.. it's full. There is no benefit to leaving it on the charger for 24 hours.. it won't hurt either, it just won't do anything.. the phone is designed to stop charging when it reaches 100%.

I do find though, that the battery "wakes up" if you will, after a few regular charge / use cycles.. and as I said I personally have seen SIGNIFICANT improvement to longevity after about 1 week of normal use.
    02-19-13 01:29 PM
    This was true of old ni-cad batteries.. and some people still give out this advice, but it's not valid for current ly-po batteries.. in fact there is some evidence that letting one die completely actually harms it slightly, and a FULL CHARGE can be obtained within a few hours.. when it says it's full.. it's full. There is no benefit to leaving it on the charger for 24 hours.. it won't hurt either, it just won't do anything.. the phone is designed to stop charging when it reaches 100%.

I do find though, that the battery "wakes up" if you will, after a few regular charge / use cycles.. and as I said I personally have seen SIGNIFICANT improvement to longevity after about 1 week of normal use.
    I was told differently. The person who told me isn't a customer service rep at BlackBerry, he/she is fairly high up and plays a very technical role in the company.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-13 01:36 PM
    I was told differently. The person who told me isn't a customer service rep at BlackBerry, he/she is fairly high up and plays a very technical role in the company.

Posted via CB10
    To each their own.. but it's not a blackberry thing.. it's a battery thing.. a li-po battery has very different behaviors from a ni-cad of ni-mh battery.. doesn't matter what you put it in.
    02-19-13 01:39 PM
    I had a problem with the battery when I first started using the phone but then I realized that the 4glte was killing the battery. I turned that off a couple days ago and my drain has decreased significantly. I mw drain about 25% per 8 hours.

Actually, even slower than that because I was using all day yesterday Nd didn't charge it over night and I still had about 45% left this morning.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-13 01:39 PM
    I had a problem with the battery when I first started using the phone but then I realized that the 4glte was killing the battery. I turned that off a couple days ago and my drain has decreased significantly. I mw drain about 25% per 8 hours.

Posted via CB10

It's certainly true that turning off the LTE radio will improve battery life, but slowing down the device isn't an acceptable solution for most people.. we want our LTE!

Like I said though.. after a week I am now getting more then 12 hours to a charge... usually much more.. I'm at 7 hours off charge so far today and still at 80% with my wifi, bluetooth, nfc and LTE on.. so that's good enough for me!
    02-19-13 01:44 PM
    I find if the phone is not in use it burns about 5% battery per hour, with wifi and LTE connected, and me briefly checking the hub every 5-10 minutes.
    During the overnight (10hrs of no use), it goes through about 10-15% battery (1-2% per hour, still connected to wifi/LTE)

If i play games though, such as beach buggy blitz (high def, fast framerate, some sound), I can burn 25-30% of the battery in an hour. Regular apps (email, bb world, news, internet) usage will take about 10-20% per hour depending on network access and processor usage.

Overall, its not terrible, but im hoping that the coming OS update will help address the power usage and squeeze out another 10% uptime
    02-19-13 01:48 PM
    My Z10 was dying after 5-8 hours, depending on how heavily I used it. I've turned off LTE and it seems to be doing better, but is draining at 25% for ~4 hours with only a few emails and BBMs. I was considering exchanging it but now I'm not sure if I should just wait. The issue is, if I wait more than 1 week, I don't think they will allow me to return the phone. :/
    02-19-13 01:48 PM
    That's nowhere near detailed enough for crackberry to believe those results. We need a forensic audit of your phone use minute by minute in those 4 hours.

Signed - Red Stripe

But seriously, that's an abnormal drain - quite a few users reported the same issue and a new phone solved it for them. I really do wonder if there is a bad batch of phones out there.

-Chris-
    I think you might be right about a bad batch. I have read a few people say their phone replacement was dramatically better then their original. People are claiming to have 16-22 hour use with bluetooth on and wifi and high screen brightness and "heavy to moderate use."

I have all of those off and I'm still struggling to make it to 8 or 9 hours!
    02-19-13 01:51 PM
    It's certainly true that turning off the LTE radio will improve battery life, but slowing down the device isn't an acceptable solution for most people.. we want our LTE!

Like I said though.. after a week I am now getting more then 12 hours to a charge... usually much more.. I'm at 7 hours off charge so far today and still at 80% with my wifi, bluetooth, nfc and LTE on.. so that's good enough for me!
    I would be very happy if I could get 80% after 7 hours with those services on , VERY happy.
    just_luc likes this.
    02-19-13 01:55 PM
    I'd be delighted. With everything off (apart from 3g and wifi) I can't get less than 10%/hour

Posted via CB10
    02-19-13 02:17 PM
    Mine battery are perfect, 1St day 8 hours sleep 0% drain, went to bed at 65% woke up 8 hours later still 65%.

2 day, 8 hours sleep, 6 mails 2 texts 4 Facebook message, 5% drain.

I've use the phone a lot, and battery are better than my ex I phone 5, ex sgs 3, and ex HTC 8x.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-13 02:17 PM
    My battery improved DRAMATICALLY after a week of use... call it conditioning (some people will tell you that's not possible with a lithium polymer battery).. call it heavy syncing in the first few days (with only 30 days data seem unlikely that my initial syncs would have drained that much).. call it the novelty wearing off and playing with it less (can't see it.. my blackberry is a work house.. calls, hundreds of emails.. on the CB10 app constantly.. this phone pretty much never rests).. call it whatever you want, but my battery is now lasting me 13 hours or more on an average day.. very happy with it.

EDIT: I have bluetooth on 24/7 - bridge to the playbook. wifi always on, nfc always on, screen brightness a little less then half..
    That was my experience as well.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-13 02:21 PM
    The battery on the Z10 has been fine for me, stable, gets me through the day or night if I go out. Just for comparison sakes, on the Galaxy Nexus I had, the screen ate up 45%-50% of the battery, while on the Z10, it only eats up 3%-5%. This big difference allows me to be more productive with email synching always on, BBM, twitter, FB. etc. Also noticed that turning off location options helps too.
    02-19-13 02:39 PM
    I've had my device from Telus since launch morning. I own two spare battery chargers. I also did a hardware swap at Best Buy In the hope that my 6-7 hour battery life was hardware. It's not...

Posted via CB10
    02-19-13 03:27 PM
    I'm averaging about 4-5% an hour with my normal usage, with everything except NFC turned on. No LTE in my area. About the same as the SGS2 I had last year, and almost as good as my 9900...when I put it on the charger at bedtime, I've usually got 25-35% left, more if I plug it into the car charger when I run out for an errand.
    02-19-13 03:55 PM
    My battery is at 90% and i have been listening to music for 2hrs now so thats 10% in 2 hrs............ AWESOME
    02-19-13 04:05 PM
30 12