Tried View ranger, but the app seems to stop tracking GPS signal the moment my Z10 goes into screen-lock mode :-( Can't make it work, and hence looking for alternative.

STL100-2 10.1.0.4633 & PB 64GB
    08-10-13 01:00 AM
    I use endomondo for trails here in Arizona. It works really well and it knows what trail I am on. I really enjoy this app

Posted via CB10
    JJonPB likes this.
    08-10-13 01:51 AM
    UPDATE: Have talked to ViewRanger support, and apparently it's all BB's fault...

That's what they wrote me back:

"I'm sorry, but we have no solution for this. We are hoping that Blackberry will provide a solution for this, but at present when the screen is locked they stop the GPS - at least for apps that are derived from Android apps, rather than native Blackberry apps."
    08-10-13 03:55 AM
    as mentioned in your other thread, try nogago tracking app, in bb world, works great. tested it twice walking, start tracking, switch off the screen, put it in your pocket and it will keep tracking.
    08-10-13 04:09 AM
    08-10-13 04:14 AM
    Trip logger works great. I use it to map out ATV trails I have made along with others. You can export the data to Google Maps when you are done. This works on my device when the screen is locked.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-13 06:54 AM
    Sports tracker.... it's native, and its good. Tracks everything and you can link a heartbeat monitor to it.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-13 07:37 AM
    Have tested CascaRun and SportsTracker yesterday - both working fine, no crashes, logging GPS signal as they should, even if screen is locked.

My initial preference is with SportsTracker - I mainly do my hiking in mountain terrain, and elevation tracking is important to me.

08-11-13 12:14 AM
    Are you saying the screen still goes OFF but the gps continues to log? Can you keep the screen on?
    08-11-13 08:56 AM
    Elevation is also recorded with free Nogago tracking app

Posted via CB10
    JJonPB likes this.
    08-11-13 09:01 AM
    UPDATE: Have talked to ViewRanger support, and apparently it's all BB's fault...

"I'm sorry, but we have no solution for this. We are hoping that Blackberry will provide a solution for this, but at present when the screen is locked they stop the GPS - at least for apps that are derived from Android apps, rather than native Blackberry apps."
    I've seen that behavior from many Android devices as well. My boss's Samsung even turns off Wi-Fi when the screen blanks.

I can vouch for it working with native applications.

Posted via CB10
    08-11-13 10:38 AM

Endomondo is an android app and does not do that.
    I think it is the app not the device

Posted via CB10
    08-11-13 11:14 AM
    I suggest getting a real GPS. These phones are Swiss army knives. Lots of stuff in one box, but never as good as having a real GPS, real camera, etc.

I suppose if you are just screwing around and not in a remote area, then maybe a phone as GPS is OK. But certainly not for any serious hiking. I sometimes carry a backup GPS in case the main one fails, not to mention a mil grade compass. In some areas, satellite messenger and ham radio.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-13 05:22 AM
    Are you saying the screen still goes OFF but the gps continues to log? Can you keep the screen on?
    Yes, GPS continues to log when the screen is off - on both CascaRun and SportsTracker.

Yes, I suppose I could keep the screen on by touchung it every now and then (and before password lockout kicks in) - but wouldn't be bothered, really.

08-12-13 07:04 AM
    I suggest getting a real GPS. These phones are Swiss army knives. Lots of stuff in one box, but never as good as having a real GPS, real camera, etc.

I suppose if you are just screwing around and not in a remote area, then maybe a phone as GPS is OK. But certainly not for any serious hiking. I sometimes carry a backup GPS in case the main one fails, not to mention a mil grade compass. In some areas, satellite messenger and ham radio.

Posted via CB10
    Indeed, where I live, I am fortunate to benefit from fabulous hiking trails/options that rarely take me 'scary remote' - i.e. civilisation is always relatively close, and I wouldn't generally feel lost, should the GPS in my phone fails me. I suppose you wouldn't call this 'serious hiking', but I do it to keep in shape, and not competitively ;-)

08-12-13 07:13 AM
    If you insist on using the phone as a GPS, bear in mind you are using a battery depleting app. If the maps are in the cloud, even worse.

I've run into the occasional person using the iphone as a GPS, generally lost and needing directions. ;-)

But I can see the point of a person who doesn't have a critical need for a GPS not wanting to spend $300 US for a good one. But I go about 6 years between upgrading my GPS. I keep the old one as a backup and give away the 3rd oldest (previous backup).

I haven't checked the z10 compass, but flux gates are usually pretty bad. Not that I am going to call in an air strike, but I carry a lenstastic compass.

If the z10 case was harder, would you hammer nails with it? Or would you use a hammer?

Posted via CB10
    08-12-13 05:23 PM

If the z10 case was harder, would you hammer nails with it? Or would you use a hammer?

Posted via CB10
    Whoa!!! Are you suggesting there's a Hammer App for the Z10? Or are you just playing with us...? ;-)
    08-13-13 12:14 AM
    I really like the UI in OnTrail.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-13 12:23 AM
    I am thinking about Journey Tracker or OnTrail. Do these need a data connection all the time? I want to use it abroad and don't want to have big roaming costs.
    08-14-13 07:45 AM
    Whoa!!! Are you suggesting there's a Hammer App for the Z10? Or are you just playing with us...? ;-)
    I think if you hammered with your Z10, you would have a cracked-berry.

To be semi-on-track, I have a Delorme satellite messenger. I never got it to work with the Blackberry Android player. But if and when it does work, you can download Delorme maps on the phone. I had to buy an Android phone just to use the Delorme. The mapping works on the Android phone, but I already have a GPS with maps. The app just shows you where you are on the map, so it is not nearly as useful as a GPS.

I have complained to Delorme about the lack of Blackberry app, but they don't give a crap due to the market size. But if you think about it, a large number of Blackberry users are the type that could use mapping. DoD, State Department, etc.
    08-15-13 03:06 AM
    UPDATE 2: I have now tested SportsTracker app on a few hikes, and must admit I really like it.

All functionality is working as it should, including the Autopause (important for me) and elevation log. Tracks are logged accurately, along with ample amount of detail on each workout.

I think I'm going to stick with SportsTracker for now, and look no more.

08-18-13 07:53 AM
    UPDATE 2: I have now tested SportsTracker app on a few hikes, and must admit I really like it.

All functionality is working as it should, including the Autopause (important for me) and elevation log. Tracks are logged accurately, along with ample amount of detail on each workout.

I think I'm going to stick with SportsTracker for now, and look no more.

I have to say, at first I wasn't convinced with Sports Tracker on my Z10 - after being a fairly longstanding and happy user on my previous handset (Nokia N8). But since at least the last official BB10 release (can't remember if I tested it much on the one before) the improvement and accuracy in Sports Tracker has been very noticable. It's as good at plotting the tracks / routes, now, as my previous, nearly 3 year old, smartphone was (well apart from not also providing pedometer functionality) - so yay for BlackBerry and Sports Tracker, ahem.
    08-18-13 08:48 AM