I like full brightness - looks elegant on black space wallpaper and the transparent dock icons. If I charge my phone overnight every night, and charge it here and there during the day, will the battery really "die" as in, not work anymore if I continue to do so? Or when people say "die" - does it mean just drain quicker than if not at full brightness?

I travel a lot and am afraid that if it in fact can "die" suddenly merely from using full brightness (little to no gaming or intense usages) that I'll be in a position where finding a store that sells a Z10 battery is a lot like finding a needle in a haystack. Am very scared about the availability of these batteries.

Also, those of you with spare batteries, how do you keep them situated, in a desk somewhere and in their original packaging?
    05-02-13 01:16 PM
    No its not as big of a deal as on other phones. You will notice the z10 doesn't have an auto brightness option. That's because it adjusts your brightness by its self regardless of how high you set it.

Very clever

Posted via CB10
    05-02-13 01:17 PM
    The battery won't die. In fact lithium batteries want to be charged often. Charge it whenever you like and you don't necessarily need to charge it full every time.

Though using full brightness will suck the percantage out of your battery very quickly as the screen is very very power hungry. But there is no danger in using full brightness except you might get blinded at times =)
    05-02-13 01:23 PM
    You should be fine. Over the long term, the increases daily usage in battery will obviously decrease its total life span, but that may still take 2 years or more depending on the battery. When that happens you either will want to upgrade your device anyway and if not, just buy another batter at around $20. For now all you'll see is less life per charge.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-13 01:27 PM
    The battery won't die. In fact lithium batteries want to be charged often. Charge it whenever you like and you don't necessarily need to charge it full every time.
    Yeah, I charge mine throughout the day. Not charging it up to 100% in a way preserve the number of charge cycles too.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-13 02:29 PM
    There are cycles in lithium batteries?

I thought they don't have memory
    BergerKing likes this.
    05-02-13 02:52 PM
    ^^ they don't.

Posted via CB10
    BergerKing likes this.
    05-02-13 02:57 PM
    There are cycles in lithium batteries?

I thought they don't have memory
    No they don't. But if you're really picky about your battery and its lifespan you should never really fully charge it. To about 90% is probably the optimal. And never discharge it fully too many times. Specially not leaving it totally discharged for longer periods of time as that will damage the battery. They don't have memory. But they want to be treated right.

That's why some Android roms for example has an option to set charge limit to the battery.
    vgorous likes this.
    05-02-13 03:27 PM
    I've been running full brightness since I got the phone on February 5th. Haven't seen any issues, and my battery life isn't even that bad, though I have a spare battery if I need it.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-13 03:36 PM
    No they don't. But if you're really picky about your battery and its lifespan you should never really fully charge it. To about 90% is probably the optimal. And never discharge it fully too many times. Specially not leaving it totally discharged for longer periods of time as that will damage the battery. They don't have memory. But they want to be treated right.

That's why some Android roms for example has an option to set charge limit to the battery.
    Glad I'm not the only one that knows about charging. I had a Sony vaio duo that had the charge limit option too. If you limit to 65% you rxten extend the life of the battery more so compared to 90%.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-13 03:44 PM
    No its not as big of a deal as on other phones. You will notice the z10 doesn't have an auto brightness option. That's because it adjusts your brightness by its self regardless of how high you set it.
    Not sure if you're saying that auto-brightness is automatic?

Why I ask: First time I took the phone outside I couldn't read the screen. Had to set the brightness WAY up. Then I just bought an app that shows the lux reading from built in light sensor and it's showing 0.

What I want to know: I'm trying to figure out if my new phone has a dead light sensor and that's why I have to keep the brightness so high just so I can see the screen in daylight.
    07-24-13 09:26 AM
    Go get BBVE in the BlackBerry World and check IT

Posted via CB10
    Slowpoke842 likes this.
    07-24-13 09:39 AM
    BBVE says Light Sensor not supported on the Z10. Does it work on your Z10?

Gadget Box vendor says the Lux meter works on his Z10. Reboot didn't help.

Still unresolved.
    07-24-13 10:09 AM
    The light sensor tests in BBVE are fine on my Z10, looks like your sensor may indeed be a bad one (see attached screens of light sensor working in BBVE and GB on z10 - Note, it's cloudy here...i couldn't get it to register the Bright test).
    Any danger in using full brightness 24/7?-img_00000145.jpg Any danger in using full brightness 24/7?-img_00000146.jpg
    Slowpoke842 likes this.
    07-24-13 10:33 AM
    Glad I'm not the only one that knows about charging. I had a Sony vaio duo that had the charge limit option too. If you limit to 65% you rxten extend the life of the battery more so compared to 90%.

Posted via CB10
    It's not technically the charge percentage, but the heat that comes along with it that can add to Li Ion death.

@ the person asking about memory, they don't have the memory issue like NiCad, but some times they get into a state where the chip in the battery needs to be calibrated. This is usually when you show 20 or 30 percent and your phone dies. On my spare batteries I have ran for about an hour at 0% while conditioning (the reverse example of this). So there are scenarios where a full charge and full discharge may be suggested, also when initially conditioning a new battery.

As far as storing spare batteries, our spares just sit on the dresser. We bought our spares for those days when we know we will be away from power for long periods of time (baseball game coming up where we won't have charging for probably 10 hours or more).
    07-24-13 01:35 PM