My dad's 9900 met its maker the other day hitting the floor so we went cell phone shopping today and came home with a shiny new Z10.

He's pretty impressed with it, although he was struggling to make sense of the gestures at first. Now he's starting to see how it all works. I can see how new users and those unfamiliar with the peek/flow would be a little confused if they're used to a home button.

Now I just have to figure out how to get his contacts off his old SIM card. The phone won't boot and BB Protect wasn't protecting the data for some reason.

I wonder if I can move the SIM to my 9800, and get the contacts that way?
    10-14-13 09:35 PM
    Your dad's berry met Mike Lazaridis??? Wow!!!!!

Jokes apart, good to hear! Now.. Make him create a CB account! hehe

On the contacts: If I were you, I'd put the SIM on the 9800, use MagicBerry to create a CSV file will all contacts and finally import those contacts into your dad's gmail account. Then it's sweet sync time for the Z10. And he'll never have to rely on SIM cards for storing contacts ever again.
    southlander likes this.
    10-14-13 09:42 PM
    If they are on the sim they can be pulled when sim is in the z. If u have att then u should have att address book which would also sync.

AT&T Z10
    10-14-13 10:07 PM
    Another Z10 sold :)-img_20131639.png
    Another Z10 sold :)-img_20131640.png

at&t z10
    10-14-13 10:08 PM
    Hey, great stuff. You may already know this, but have your Dad hit search / help / how to videos. Really helped a friend of mine in his first week of BB10. Another thing I did is hide the Text and BBM icons. It really makes you learn how to use the hub without getting confused.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-13 10:23 PM
    The SIM in the 9900 is full size, so that doesn't work in the Zed.

I stuck the card into my 9800 and went into contacts -> BB Menu -> SIM Phone Book and all it displayed are the few Bell customer care numbers.

I guess the contacts were being saved on the phone's memory?
    10-14-13 10:26 PM
    The SIM in the 9900 is full size, so that doesn't work in the Zed.

I stuck the card into my 9800 and went into contacts -> BB Menu -> SIM Phone Book and all it displayed are the few Bell customer care numbers.

I guess the contacts were being saved on the phone's memory?
    Dang forgot about the micro part. Yes seams they are saved to device then. Our stores in the US have sim swap machines so that might b an option if u can get them to the sim from the 9900

AT&T Z10
    10-14-13 10:40 PM
    BB link had an option to switch devices try connecting the dead one to the computer to see if it can at least get the contacts. BTW there are Sim card cutters, NOOSY among others, that cuts your sim card from regular to micro and even to nano. I did and I can switch mine between Z and Torch.

Posted from the best mobile device Z10 10.2.0.1443
    10-14-13 10:52 PM
    BTW there are Sim card cutters, NOOSY among others, that cuts your sim card from regular to micro and even to nano. I did and I can switch mine between Z and Torch.

The 9900 is booting but reboots as soon as it hits the home screen. I don't think I'll be able to get anything from it.
    10-14-13 11:14 PM
    If it's rebooting use BlackBerry desktop it wil detect the rebooting phone and it will give you the option to repair or reinstall the OS.

10-15-13 06:10 AM
    It reboots as soon as it hits the homescreen, before the icons show. I had it connected to the PC via USB and BlackBerry Desktop couldn't connect to it.
    10-15-13 10:57 AM
    Could you login to his blackberry id on your 9800 and restore contacts on to your phone then use link to transfer toZ10 or any other back up method.

Posted via CB10

edit: never mind I missed the part where you said BlackBerry Protect was not backing up the data.
    10-15-13 11:01 AM
    It's been a while since I used it but can blackberry swiss army fix a phone that won't boot?

Posted via CB10
    10-15-13 11:06 AM
    It reboots as soon as it hits the homescreen, before the icons show. I had it connected to the PC via USB and BlackBerry Desktop couldn't connect to it.
    My torch tends to do that a lot it keeps rebooting before it hits home screen what do is turn on BlackBerry desktop manager select my BlackBerry 9800 and connect it to computer it will try to connect to phone wille rebooting then it will give a message that says unable to connect to BlackBerry 9800 if phone is rebooting or has a dead battery click retry when it reboots if not click repair to repair device. Wait until the phone restart the progress bar an hit repair it will connect and tell you a update is available for your device do you want to install, press OK it will load the Is again it will start by doing a back up if the repair is achieved you will end up with a factory restored phone then do a restore and you can get the contacts back. Some times takes several retry but as long as you phone reboots it can be done.
    Good luck, BTW it was a fall that broke it? Sounds like it Software related.

10-15-13 07:33 PM
    Well I managed to get Desktop Software to install the update, but during the "Reboot" portion of the installation the phones keeps rebooting once it reaches the homescreen.

I can see the wallpaper has been reset, so the device has taken the new install, but the reboot still persists.

This happened right after it was dropped.
    10-15-13 08:15 PM
    Well at least he is trying out a great phone!
    10-15-13 08:48 PM
    Your dad's berry met Mike Lazaridis??? Wow!!!!!

Jokes apart, good to hear! Now.. Make him create a CB account! hehe

On the contacts: If I were you, I'd put the SIM on the 9800, use MagicBerry to create a CSV file will all contacts and finally import those contacts into your dad's gmail account. Then it's sweet sync time for the Z10. And he'll never have to rely on SIM cards for storing contacts ever again.
    I can confirm that the Magicberry approach definitely works...if he has a backup file through BlackBerry desktop it will save you a step.

Posted via Z10 on the best touchscreen keyboard.
    10-15-13 08:51 PM
    If the contacts are on the sim, could you not pop it into the 9800 and send the address book via bluetooth from the 9800 to the z10??? This is how I transfer my contacts every time I install a new leak and want to start fresh as I don't trust cloud services to hold that info for me. Just saying, that might be the easier way.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-13 08:53 PM
    Did it passed de back up part? Try accessing it

10-15-13 09:15 PM
    As mentioned above, the contacts are not stored on the SIM card. Or at least they're not visible when the SIM card is inserted into my 9800.

The OS reinstall worked on the 9900, but it still reboots. BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife was able to connect to the phone and backup the applications during the boot-up. The screen on the phone displayed the little "connected to computer" icon and everything.

Is there a utility that will allow me to access the device's PIM (Contacts) info during the boot-up process?
    10-15-13 09:16 PM
    Try open in safe mode
    Another Z10 sold :)-img_00000445.png

10-15-13 09:23 PM
    I don't see a backup in Desktop Software and it still reboots in safe mode (little safe mode menu shows and the phone reboots a few seconds after. I can't interact with the menu at all, the trackpad and screen inputs are ignored.
    10-15-13 09:33 PM
    Congrats on the new Z10 customer.

I don't know much about Blackberry Protect, never bothered with it. But I hope dad now recognizes why he should backup the device locally at least once in a blue moon to have some sort of baseline full backup. I would think that as a person who has made a real crusade about the value of having local backups of your data, you can impress him a bit with your personal take on that.
    10-15-13 11:46 PM
    Re: the backup files, have you tried a global search for files with file extension ".IPD"?
    10-16-13 12:00 AM
    I had Desktop Software set up on his computer. It's a shared computer so god only knows what happened with it. He's not particularly technically inclined so he doesn't connect his phone to the PC very often (if at all...)

As for BB Protect? No clue. I logged into his BB Protect account and it only shows the new Z10. Attempting to restore from the BB Protect backup to the Z10 generated an error showing no backups available. There were none shown online, either. Cloud based.. go figure

Nothing showing for *.IPD on my laptop where I did the restore of the OS.

So, nothing that would grab contacts from a booting phone? Seems odd apps can be backed up during the boot up but not contacts.
    10-16-13 01:06 AM
36 12