I've had most BBs over the years but strayed off into the land of iOS, Android and Windows Phone 8 and I decided to try a Z10. So my verdict:

For

- Nice hardware and great balance in the handset - nicer to hold than any of my current crop - iPhone 5, S3 and HTC 8X
    - Love the BB convenience of using the holster to end calls, switch on etc.
    - Despite the fact that Android phones have notification lights, there is nothing like that BB light - I love it
    - Screen is crisp
    - Browser is swift
    - **How could I forget** Keyboard is superb - best on screen keyboard ever!

Against

- 30 days sync on Gmail email only - this is hopeless - is this a mini Playbook?
    - BB10 is hopelessly unnecessarily complicated for the average user - for BB addicts - fine but for the crop of iOS and Android users that they are hoping to attract (the non techy ones) - no chance; the Hub is brilliant but half finished
    - Screen is crisp but dim - and a bit yellow compared to my other phones - HTC 8X has the nicest screen followed by iPhone 5
    - Some of the well documented omissions are annoying - custom profiles, coloured notification lights
    - The App list is pathetic - given how late this release is, I have no idea what they have been playing at - even Windows Phone 8 has all the apps I need apart from Spotify - there are not even any decent news apps

So, had I been coming from an old Nokia I'd be delighted, i.e. 5 years ago. But can I be bothered with the pain of this over iOS and Android - nope! It's just not as good and a lot more hassle.

If BlackBerry can't get their act together with the choice of Apps, and iron out the annoying partially complete OS they are doomed.

Oh dear. And go on - flame me if you like!
    Last edited by Dlanod; 02-04-13 at 02:57 AM.
    02-03-13 11:36 AM
    Honestly, who cares. If you don't like it and it's not for you don't post it to discourage others to not try the device. Everyone has different needs and wants. I for one am getting one this week. I'm not gonna post that I returned it if it wasn't for me.
    02-03-13 11:42 AM
    you're returning it because of the apps? we all knew there would be 70000 apps availible no where close to what Android or iOS has, even Windows phone has been on the market longer so there has been growth in the consumor regard, BB10 has been on sale for 3 days, its expected to have some bugs an missing features as well there will be some missing apps, its sad to see you returning it without actually giving it a chance to prove to you that its worth keepign around but if its not for you its not for you
    mufc1, gokulesh, bodjor and 9 others like this.
    02-03-13 11:42 AM
    Honestly, who cares. If you don't like it and it's not for you don't post it to discourage others to not try the device. Everyone has different needs and wants. I for one am getting one this week. I'm not gonna post that I returned it if it wasn't for me.
    Yeah yeah - let's not express anything but positive views - no idea why people in forums get excited about anything less than adulation. Happens in the Apple forums and the Android ones too.

Enjoy your Z10 - I truly hope you do.
    02-03-13 11:49 AM
    you're returning it because of the apps? we all knew there would be 70000 apps availible no where close to what Android or iOS has, even Windows phone has been on the market longer so there has been growth in the consumor regard, BB10 has been on sale for 3 days, its expected to have some bugs an missing features as well there will be some missing apps, its sad to see you returning it without actually giving it a chance to prove to you that its worth keepign around but if its not for you its not for you
    ....it's over a year late - come on - BB need to do better than this to survive. They knew this years ago. But we're still here.
    xxslxx, Abrante and BullGuard8 like this.
    02-03-13 11:51 AM
    indicator light issue...... on another thread they say Color ID is available so you CAN get different light colours..... I know this is a big issue for some ppl and there is an app that does it, and prob more to come. just sayin'.
    gokulesh, cdnynot and Abrante like this.
    02-03-13 11:51 AM
    After all this time, the coolaid glass is friggin' empty! If BB10 is not FINISHED and polished, then they ARE doomed. The only question then is, am I willing to spend my money only to wait more....and for what? Doggonit man! I'm too old for this sh**......

Hoot
    02-03-13 11:52 AM
    Hey Dianod i am dumping my SG3 for the Z10 since it can not compare. You can give your troll like thoughts but in reality no one cares.
    02-03-13 11:53 AM
    Hey Dianod i am dumping my SG3 for the Z10 since it can not compare. You can give your troll like thoughts but in reality no one cares.
    Hey it's fine. I just hope you don't use your S3 for much more than calls, texts and emails. Because that's all you'll be doing on the Z10 for a while.
    bodjor and xxslxx like this.
    02-03-13 12:01 PM
    I haven't used one but I totally expect a large learning curve. It's completely new and there's nothing like it. Yes, Apple is easy and simple, but I don't see how you can say Android is. The screen, well, that's up to you and since you can have them side by side (I assume you do) then hey, cool. The omissions....well my thought on this is they would release a brand new OS with almost everything there. They can iron out the bugs, as there will no doubt be many, then start adding in the smaller nuances that we all love. Apps, well we all know, or at least should have known, that there was going to be an app gap. That will have to come in time. As for WP8 apps, they are still missing ones that BB has so that would be a personal thing as to whether or not you need them right away or can wait until they are there.

I'm not saying you are wrong in your choice, but your pros seem to outweigh the cons, aside from apps.
    02-03-13 12:01 PM
    Opinions and needs aside, screen is NOT dim. It is so bright I find myself toning it down! Maybe you did the same and forgot to put it back?
    02-03-13 12:02 PM
    Against

- BB10 is hopelessly complicated for the average user - for BB addicts - fine but for the crop of iOS and Android users that they are hoping to attract (the non techy ones) - no chance; the Hub is brilliant but half finished
    I always try to have balanced perspectives and recognize the bad things about BB but above statement is simply unbelievable.
    02-03-13 12:06 PM
    I have heard over and over the app selection is not great. While I would like to see more good apps, I look at my Nexus 7 and I can count on 2 hands the number of good apps. Not too concerned. As long as the OS and mail are solid I can live with fewer apps.
    jakie55, motor96, pcguy514 and 7 others like this.
    02-03-13 12:09 PM
    ....it's over a year late - come on - BB need to do better than this to survive. They knew this years ago. But we're still here.
    there were originally talking abotu releasing BB10 in the spring of 2012 i don't know where you're gettign your info from, it was also crought up at devcon 2011 that there would be a thought of BBX aka BB10 on BlackBerry devices.

people really need to get clarification on a subject, and building an OS from the ground up doesn't just happen in a few month but who am i to say i'm just a lowly electrician with only a few years programing background
    02-03-13 12:10 PM
    Negative reviews are welcomed by me, but I think you need to question the source. I have read the gesture thing may be complicated so some. Learning how to drive a car can be complicated for the first time, but guess what, people drive, some better than others. Calculus is complicated, give yourself a little bit more credit, I think you have it in you to learn some simple gestures. I have seen 'how to' videos on-line and the gesture thing seems simply enough, but maybe that is just me. The whole thing about apps is incredible. I currently have a Torch 9810, I don't have 1k apps on my phone, not even a 100, maybe least 20 apps or so? I am just over 40 and maybe the app thing is a generational thing. I like music, so I have put the stuff that I like on my phone and discovered TuneIn Radio which has an insane amount of choices of radio stations, even my favorite internet radio station. Seeing that the phone has just been released, did you give it enough time or did you set yourself up for it to 'failed'. Like I said, I welcome negative reviews, but come on, this is all you got?
    02-03-13 12:10 PM
    sorry but how is swiping up, down and to the side complicated to the average user? it's not like the playbook was hard to figure out and almost all phones require some swiping and a lack of a back button is hardly going to be an issue. i'm a newbie, both here and as a BB users but lurked for awhile and some of these comments seem to be issues for die hard BB users not the average consumer. I've never had an iphone but last time i checked it offers no customization so a lack of custom profiles wouldn't be a big issue for users use to iphones. I have had an android and turned away from it because of the fragmentation of the OS and it's almost a fight to get updates from the manufacturers but even they had issues with freezing and working properly. I have a bold right now and waiting until Tuesday to pick up my Z10 and coming in as a newbie BB user and maybe it's just me but i find a lot of negative comments i've been reading to be snipping over things that aren't major issues if you've never had them as most consumers haven't and probably could be easy fixes. Every phone and OS that comes out has issues and you would have to expect that from a brand new OS. Nothing i've read so far has put me off the Z10 or blackberry, i expect there will be issues and expect people here to find work arounds, as some have, and for BlackBerry to do bug fixes to deal with those issues. Kinda silly to give up on a phone after less than a week out.
    02-03-13 12:15 PM
    Lol this simpleton can't learn how to do a few gestures, oh wow. Maybe the iPhone is the phone for you
    02-03-13 12:16 PM
    Opinions and needs aside, screen is NOT dim. It is so bright I find myself toning it down! Maybe you did the same and forgot to put it back?
    My Z10 is horribly dim at 100%. Unless held directly under a lamp or in direct sunlight, it always dims to the max, with dull yellow whites and dull colours. Got a replacement coming. Disabling the auto dim would cure this with the prone batch.
    02-03-13 12:18 PM
    Concerning the learning curve: I used one for about 8 minutes in a shop and in that time I pretty much mastered how to navigate the UI. In that time I also became pretty good on the excellent keyboard. Mine is arriving on Tuesday.

My android gets demoted to a pay-as-you-go device that eternally sits, switched on, in my apartment. It is the device I will use to make the government (etc), who have access to my data through the leak holes in all those 3rd party apps, think I am always in one spot. Really, of course I will be running around organizing riots on my Blackberry
    02-03-13 12:31 PM
    Why wouldn't you post if you returned it. Sure, everyone has different needs in a phone, but if Z10 weren't for you, it probably wouldn't be for other people with similar needs, and they might appreciate knowing why you rejected it (or liked it). That's all the OP was doing, and I appreciate his very personal and honest reaction to the phone. It's just one more bit of data in helping me determine whether Z10 is right for me.
    02-03-13 12:43 PM
    Sorry, this is lame. Did you know that 40% of those 70,000 apps were android? That only a handful are native BB10 apps? It was not unreasonable to expect certain apps at launch, and not just a 'commitment' by those app such as Skype. And why should we expect the bugs/limitations that apparently exist when BB10 was delayed many months, supposedly to ensure those bugs/limitations were ironed out in advance of release? Especially when we all know how fast the company that was known as Rim responds to complaints.
    02-03-13 12:47 PM
    Negative reviews are welcomed by me, but I think you need to question the source. I have read the gesture thing may be complicated so some. Learning how to drive a car can be complicated for the first time, but guess what, people drive, some better than others. Calculus is complicated, give yourself a little bit more credit, I think you have it in you to learn some simple gestures. I have seen 'how to' videos on-line and the gesture thing seems simply enough, but maybe that is just me. The whole thing about apps is incredible. I currently have a Torch 9810, I don't have 1k apps on my phone, not even a 100, maybe least 20 apps or so? I am just over 40 and maybe the app thing is a generational thing. I like music, so I have put the stuff that I like on my phone and discovered TuneIn Radio which has an insane amount of choices of radio stations, even my favorite internet radio station. Seeing that the phone has just been released, did you give it enough time or did you set yourself up for it to 'failed'. Like I said, I welcome negative reviews, but come on, this is all you got?
    Maybe you only have 20 apps because that's all, realistically speaking, that there is worth having. But I have lots more useful apps on my android phone than on my PB simply because there are lots more useful apps available.
    02-03-13 12:52 PM
    Iphone has been around since 2007, and when they launched a new mapping program, they screwed up. They had camera issues too. New technology, or tech put into new operating systems take some time to iron out the bugs. They can seem fine with the small numbers of beta testers, but show up once the larger numbers of users, with their unique situations, are available. As to having a device that is defective? That is what warranty and defective product returns are for. Other than that, it seems like you did not get EXACTLY what you wanted, and taking your ball and going home. Enjoy.
    keefrto and MoolahMitch like this.
    02-03-13 12:57 PM
    I'm not seeing this yellow tint business other people are on about...which is not to say I doubt the people who say they do. Maybe it's a qc issue but my screen has no yellow tint at all. It is a little dim at first though but you can turn the brightness up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    02-03-13 01:00 PM
    or maybe there is a need for so many apps, since the basic OS is limited, hmm?
    02-03-13 01:06 PM
161 123 ...