02-10-14 11:30 AM
57 123
tools
    Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 03:19 PM
    When it was first shown off in the leaks, I thought it was novel, but not something I'd use. I couldn't have been more wrong! I think it's a fantastic addition that really does improve security. People standing over your shoulder wouldn't know what you're doing to unlock your device. It's even better that you don't have to drag the specific number to its place, only drag the grid so that the one number is where it should be.

I've noticed that the amount of numbers on the grid changes, but I'm not sure it's tied to anything specific or it's simply random.

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    01-31-14 04:14 PM
    You just have to hope someone doesn't think it is a mere PUZZLE GAME!

But as noted, you only get FIVE picture password attempts and then it defaults back to TEXT entry for the password.
    I wasn't aware that it switches modes after 5... I guess maybe he just hit 4 before I panicked With the switch I feel more comfortable using it!
    01-31-14 04:34 PM
    At first it was tough to get it exact...
    But then I realized I was doing it wrong.

Trick is :

Don't put your figure directly on the number you need. I like just next to the number so you can see the number fully and directly position it where it has to go.

Maybe this is common knowledge. But I thought you actually had to touch "the" number. Now it makes way more sense that no one will know your number and placement. Very smart! (or I'm just slow today, lol)

Posted via CB10
    FF22 and FlashFlare11 like this.
    01-31-14 04:53 PM
    The key is to move the screen by selecting another number- so your fingers don't obscure your target !

Posted via CB10
    Yes, soo much easier.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 04:57 PM
    Honestly, I think it's brilliant. Simple, clever, and devilishly difficult for an observer to decipher. As soon as it dawns on you that you don't have to actually press the specified number, you realize how simple and powerful it is.

I HATE to use device locks. Even the simple PIN type was more trouble than I was prepared to go to. This is a genuinely useful feature, in that I actually USE it.
    Pcmx likes this.
    01-31-14 05:05 PM
    Reducing the movement lag would go a long way to improving the feature for me.
    01-31-14 05:14 PM

Trick is :

Don't put your figure directly on the number you need. I like just next to the number so you can see the number fully and directly position it where it has to go.

Maybe this is common knowledge. But I thought you actually had to touch "the" number. Now it makes way more sense that no one will know your number and placement. Very smart! (or I'm just slow today, lol)

Posted via CB10
    Somone in the last day or two posted a short 4 or 5 step tutorial on how to use it. Very succinct and useful. I don't recall which subforum it was in.

Actually, it was New-Z10 who posted in this thread and the tips are here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...d-tips-899446/
    01-31-14 06:04 PM

Trick is :

Posted via CB10
    Not only is this easier, but I think it's the most ideal and secure way to use it! If anyone's watching you try to unlock your device, there's no way for them to tell which number you chose and where it's supposed to go.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 06:47 PM
    Thanks for the link to New-Z10's tutorial F2.
    By way of a thank you, I thought I would post a more age appropriate phone picture for you (wicked grin)!
    Another thing I love is the picture password- what do you think?-img_20140131_182327.jpg

Posted via CB10 with "Z" best
    FF22 likes this.
    01-31-14 07:28 PM
    I agree with everyone that this is the most clever security lock to date. I'm really impressed with this feature of the latest update. No one will ever guess what the real password is.

Just a thought, do you think it'll be nice if they added letters and symbols as well!? Just asking. It just crossed my mind.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 08:48 PM
    Thanks for the link to New-Z10's tutorial F2.
    By way of a thank you, I thought I would post a more age appropriate phone picture for you (wicked grin)!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140131_182327.jpg 
Views:	863 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	243852

Hey, Sonny, no need to make fun of us codgers!

I do recall my grandparents having a Party-line in Da Bronx. No lurkers, that's not for wild parties - two or more families shared a phone line, so if you picked up the phone, you could easedrop on someone else's conversation. I don't recall how incoming calls were distinguished - multiple rings or some such???
    alexstorm likes this.
    01-31-14 09:30 PM
    Hey, Sonny, no need to make fun of us codgers!

I do recall my grandparents having a Party-line in Da Bronx. No lurkers, that's not for wild parties - two or more families shared a phone line, so if you picked up the phone, you could easedrop on someone else's conversation. I don't recall how incoming calls were distinguished - multiple rings or some such???
    They had those party lines in the 80s in rural communities. Yes they had different rings. And you could listen in. I guess with all the electronic eavesdropping going on ed should just consider that we are on a one billion person party line.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    01-31-14 09:49 PM
    We had a party line in California in the mid '70s. Different rings. Give me 10.2.1 any day!
    Since reading this thread I am now loving picture password. Thank you BlackBerry! You solved the problem of lazy people like me who didn't use a password a lot of the time.

Pcmx likes this.
    01-31-14 10:54 PM
    We had a party line in California in the mid '70s. Different rings. Give me 10.2.1 any day!
    Since reading this thread I am now loving picture password. Thank you BlackBerry! You solved the problem of lazy people like me who didn't use a password a lot of the time.

While I've had my Playbook password protected for ever, until I got the z10 I never did password protect my BB phones. But since the darn development mode keeps demanding it, I finally succumbed. But I do fear that at the wrong time or place (no real backups), someone will enter the wrong one too many times and my phone will wipe and I'll be sunk.

I just thought of what *WE* need - a version of BBLink or Desktop software that runs on the Playbook. That way I could have my backup files on the PB and restore from it, if necessary!!!! Too bad that BB never gave up USB OTG!!!!!
    01-31-14 11:46 PM
    Wow, love it =)

Posted via CB10 on my Z10
    Last edited by StalkerDubz; 02-01-14 at 11:35 AM.
    02-01-14 12:25 AM
    Just set up picture pwd tonight. Is pretty sweet. Easy to use and unique. Gonna stick with it a while.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 12:50 AM

Trick is :

Posted via CB10
    Better to put your finger more than a quarter screen away. Gives onlookers no clue what your number is.

I've had people watch very carefully as I unlocked my phone. They still couldn't unlock it. It's like a magic trick. Could probably earn some cash as a bar game. :-p

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 likes this.
    02-01-14 02:25 PM
    Love it- cool and easy. I composed a complex pic with lots of details. Fun. And it works.

Posted via CB10

onestly. Same as Pattern Lock. Childish. But that's just me and for obvious reasons BlackBerry thinks otherwise. My opinion means nothing in the grand scheme of things.
    02-01-14 02:41 PM
    I just setup picture password last night. I think it's genius. I find myself placing my finger at different places of the screen (without thinking) depending where my number is located. Awesome!

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 02:47 PM
    I really like the picture password. It's a feature that raises eyebrows wherever I go.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 10:20 PM
    onestly. Same as Pattern Lock. Childish. But that's just me and for obvious reasons BlackBerry thinks otherwise. My opinion means nothing in the grand scheme of things.
    Actually it is supposed to be very secure as there are no external references that would give you clues. I can usually figure out my spouses and she can guess mine ( like the telephone hacking scandals) but those references don't exist and therefore is supposed to be an excellent password tool. Virtually impossible to crack unlike alpha numeric passwords.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 10:52 PM
    Picture Password is a phenomenal locking method. It took me a few tries to understand the best way to use it, but like so many others I am now a huge fan of it. What bothers me a bit is having my device wiped. It would be nice if there was an option to lock the phone out for a predetermined time, instead of a complete wipe.

Sent from the future on my ? Z10
    02-02-14 12:02 AM
    It is not "same as pattern lock" because a sharp observer can remember your pattern after only one or two observations.

Picture Password is faster and easier, since it typically requires only one short swipe, and an observer would have a hard time guessing even with multiple observations.

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30 2B6927F7
    02-02-14 12:44 AM
    Can't use it because IT Policy requires a password. Doesn't even show up as an option. Just tried it on my backup device and it is awesome. A bit disappointed right now. Guess I'll have to delete my work account, activate picture password and try work account again. :-)

Posted via CB10
    02-02-14 01:22 AM
57 123