Mobile Malware: Android Is a Bad Apple | Wall St. Cheat Sheet

97% of the malware McAfee found on smartphones was on Android.
    SDTRMG likes this.
    04-15-13 02:59 PM
    Mobile Malware: Android Is a Bad Apple | Wall St. Cheat Sheet

97% of the malware McAfee found on smartphones was on Android.
    Good thing the Z10 can't run Android apps!
    bobauckland likes this.
    04-15-13 03:00 PM
    The trade off for an open system.
    04-15-13 03:03 PM
    My son(he is 11yrs old) S3 gets alot of Malware. He downloads these games out of the Google play Store and malware crashes his phone. I have had to do system restores constantly. This why when his upgrade comes he is getting a z10 because I'm tired of the issues. I can atleast control the Z10 with parental control. He may not have all the games but I can have peace of mind.
    fast666 likes this.
    04-15-13 03:40 PM
    My son(he is 11yrs old) S3 gets alot of Malware. He downloads these games out of the Google play Store and malware crashes his phone. I have had to do system restores constantly. This why when his upgrade comes he is getting a z10 because I'm tired of the issues. I can atleast control the Z10 with parental control. He may not have all the games but I can have peace of mind.
    He'll have plenty of games. . .no worries there!
    teafordgang likes this.
    04-15-13 03:43 PM
    I wish I had a smartphone when I was 11, but oh wait I did except it was a flip phone and being able to text was badass. lol
    Prince Radebe likes this.
    04-15-13 03:49 PM
    The only way to get malware on Android is if you download extremely sketchy apps that any logical person would be skeptical off - there lies the problem.

Posted via CB10
    eninrebmun and soulenigma like this.
    04-15-13 03:51 PM
    Good thing the Z10 can't run Android apps!
    Difference is android apps on bb10 can't get access to the main OS, so if malware got on the phone it would only effect the android runtime and apps.
    04-15-13 04:10 PM
    The only way to get malware on Android is if you download extremely sketchy apps that any logical person would be skeptical off - there lies the problem.

Posted via CB10
    Not at all true. Depending on how you define the term malware, there are apps out there that look completely legit but contain malware. For instance, Talking Tom Cat has over 50,000,000 downloads. It has a nasty habit of sending your phone number and other personal information to the developer. Go look at the great reviews it gets in the Google Play store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...lkingtom&hl=en Nearly 500,000 positive reviews.

If I hadn't just told you that, would you be comfortable downloading and running Talking Tom Cat? I define this as malware. Nice malware, but still malware.

There are worse apps out there, like those that silently root your phone and then install apps, and my favorite are those that wait until you plug the phone into a computer and infect your computer. This is a serious threat to corporate networks because the phone walks in the front door and gets connected to the network, circumventing all firewalls and other external security.
    04-15-13 04:34 PM
    Exactly. I have been a Linux user for many years and never suffered a security issue; in fact I secure my entire home network with a Linux based firewall/NAT box. Android *should be* just as ok (the kernel is modified from the standard though).

It's the apps, and more importantly, the *permissions* given to the apps (either willingly by the user, or a shady developer). It's like logging in to your Linux box as root and going nuts. Bad idea.
    04-15-13 05:52 PM
    Which games were these?
    04-15-13 06:26 PM
    I happened to run across Jared Co apps in the bb10 app store yesterday. Wonder if they are still stealing contact lists and spamming people.
    04-15-13 06:28 PM
    Not at all true. Depending on how you define the term malware, there are apps out there that look completely legit but contain malware. For instance, Talking Tom Cat has over 50,000,000 downloads. It has a nasty habit of sending your phone number and other personal information to the developer. Go look at the great reviews it gets in the Google Play store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...lkingtom&hl=en Nearly 500,000 positive reviews.

If I hadn't just told you that, would you be comfortable downloading and running Talking Tom Cat? I define this as malware. Nice malware, but still malware.

There are worse apps out there, like those that silently root your phone and then install apps, and my favorite are those that wait until you plug the phone into a computer and infect your computer. This is a serious threat to corporate networks because the phone walks in the front door and gets connected to the network, circumventing all firewalls and other external security.
    Did you say there are apps that can surreptitiously root your phone in the Play Store?
    04-15-13 06:28 PM
    Did you say there are apps that can surreptitiously root your phone in the Play Store?
    I don't know that--one way or the other. I do know there are apps, popular apps, that steal personal information.

You can be safe with Android if you don't root it and are very careful about what permissions you allow. Most people are not careful.
    04-15-13 06:54 PM
    I don't know that--one way or the other. I do know there are apps, popular apps, that steal personal information.

You can be safe with Android if you don't root it and are very careful about what permissions you allow. Most people are not careful.
    I would agree. Rooting requires one to be careful.
    04-15-13 07:01 PM
    I wish I had a smartphone when I was 11, but oh wait I did except it was a flip phone and being able to text was badass. lol
    Heh. When I wass 11, my phone was a big, black heavy thing tied to the wall with a cord. You had to turn a rotary dial to call somebody. Our version of Facebook was a party line that you could dial into and see who else was there.
    04-16-13 10:52 AM