Okay, so we all have BlackBerry phones and the new OS installed.
    We can all now download android apps which is really cool indeed.

How about listing details here of what app permissions the more popular ones ask for. It'd be really useful to know, for example what Temple Run 2 needs access to before I downloaded it.

For me security is important so it'd be nice to know in advance. What's your thoughts CB nation?

Posted via CB10
    01-30-14 02:02 AM
    You don't get to pick which persmissions you give android apps. It's accept of deny. All of nothing.

If security is a concern, don't get apps from shady sources.
    ThaMunsta likes this.
    01-30-14 02:08 AM
    I guess it's a trade off then. So all or nothing permission is the only choice?
    I suppose it's worth it for the best apps, I'll give it a go, thanks for the reply!

Posted via CB10
    01-30-14 02:12 AM
    There was another similar thread and I generally asked:

Do Android devices have more control over Permissions or are they stuck with this All/NONE situation? I don't have an android device so I don't know the answer.
    01-30-14 08:53 AM
    There was another similar thread and I generally asked:

Do Android devices have more control over Permissions or are they stuck with this All/NONE situation? I don't have an android device so I don't know the answer.
    That's a good question, I see if I can check on this later today.
    01-30-14 09:09 AM
    I just came back to Blackberry from Android. I used apps which would work with some of the permissions denied but yes Android is invasive which is why I came back to BB. I want an OS which will have me asking , "What is my operating system doing for me" as opposed to, "What is it doing to me".
    Richard Buckley and FF22 like this.
    01-30-14 09:24 AM
    I just came back to Blackberry from Android. I used apps which would work with some of the permissions denied but yes Android is invasive which is why I came back to BB. I want an OS which will have me asking , "What is my operating system doing for me" as opposed to, "What is it doing to me".
    So answering F2's question: You can handpick permissions on Android.
    FF22 likes this.
    01-30-14 04:55 PM
    Hmmpfffffff! So we really do get screwed in that we can't set individual permissions. Some of them really ask for too much. I'm sure most don't need access to my phone number and some of the other intrusive permissions they seek. Since I do not have a text allowance, I don't want any developer sending me text message if they have my phone number.

Oh, THANKS for checking that out.
    01-30-14 06:07 PM
    I'm sorry. I didn't mean to give that impression. I was answering the "all or nothing" question. You can't just pick which permissions you decide to accept. The developer decides that I suppose. It's just that you can't really tell till you download / install. I have unchecked some permissions which I didn't want to give and sometime the app loads, sometimes it doesn't.

I will say though, it seems to me that Android applications require permissions which seem excessive in many cases.

It just occurred to me, I'm answering this question based on my experience with a Moto X and Android. I really don't know if anything regarding permissions is different with a Blackberry running Android apps.

After having been burned by Google, I'm afraid to even try those on my Z 10. I keep reading posts on this forum by people who want the whole Google experience on their Blackberry, The Play Store, Google services, the whole magilla. I came back to get away from all that!

Yes, you're connected. Yes, there is smooth as silk integration everywhere, and across many apps. But you'll pay for it by serving up your privacy to Google. It's a trade off.
    01-30-14 06:37 PM
    I'm sorry. I didn't mean to give that impre[...]
    It's the same with BlackBerry - some apps ask for stuff they don't need and will work if you deny permissions while others won't.

Hmmpfffffff! So we really do get screwed in that we can't set individual permissions. Some of them really ask for too much. I'm sure most don't need access to my phone number and some of the other intrusive permissions they seek. Since I do not have a text allowance, I don't want any developer sending me text message if they have my phone number.

Oh, THANKS for checking that out.
    With a little luck, later verions of the runtime will allow us to change that. But then again, we should be safe due to the sandbox....
    01-30-14 08:42 PM