Your WiFi at home may be competing with a neighbors WiFi on the same channel. I am not sure what is in the Blackberry app store, but if you have an android device there is a really good free WiFi tool called WiFi Analyzer. This will show you the strength of your signal and also other signals which may be nearby. You may be able to change your channel on your router for a better signal.
    04-26-13 01:57 PM
    I have the leak version on my phone since yesterday and it does the same thing with Wi-Fi drawing data through it still not much but still does you are not alone there
    04-26-13 02:01 PM
    Your WiFi at home may be competing with a neighbors WiFi on the same channel. I am not sure what is in the Blackberry app store, but if you have an android device there is a really good free WiFi tool called WiFi Analyzer. This will show you the strength of your signal and also other signals which may be nearby. You may be able to change your channel on your router for a better signal.
    in 10.0 I had a channel "x" now on the leak I have channel "Y" no difference
    04-26-13 02:04 PM
    I discovered that if you subscribe to Box or Dropbox cloud storage and have the phone set up to automatically sync that you should only allow sync when connected to wifi. I played with it a bit the last couple of days and couldn't get a definitive result around situations where a large file is syncing it seemed to start on wifi but when the wifi got disconnected it continued to sync, but the only connection was data over the cell network. I was very distracted so didn't confirm this behavior.

The main point is that these services should be checked to ensure that the are configured the way you want them to behave.
    04-26-13 02:12 PM
    As noted in my original post, that is what I am currently doing. What I am looking for is a solution that does not require manual action on a daily basis, but thanks for the post.
    Sorry, I missed that part.
    04-26-13 02:16 PM
    I have a large home, so I installed 3 wireless routers, two of them bridged. If I move to one side of the house for any length of time, I find that my z10 (like my 9930) will switch to the nearest (strongest) router. But I have never seen it favor the network over wifi, even when my wifi is weak.

I'm guessing that your data use is when out of wifi range. Even if you don't actively use data, the phone makes many data transfers on its own.... for example, if you have location services turned on, if you run something like a weather app, if you receive email, etc. I would even bet that there are some builtin features that regularly communicate with the phone, albeit slightly. One source of this could be that since much mail is not "Push", there may be some periodic email "Handshaking" going on.

I'm a very heavy user of messaging and data, however I am almost always in a wifi Zone. I keep wifi and bluetooth always on. I keep location services on. (btw, location services I believe always use the network, not wifi... correct me if I'm mistaken) ive even tried keeping nfc on. If anything, since my Z10 is still kinda new, I'm spending much more time on it that I did on my bold. My data use has hardly changed! Maybe a tiny increase. I'm on Verizon. I would say I'm on the device for over 4 hours a day easily. Never broke 0.75GB in a month! Without the wifi connections I'd likely be at about 3-4GB.

Btw, my battery life is at least double what I had on my bold 9930!

Posted via CB10
    04-26-13 02:18 PM
    i have seen a few threads like this, where wifi still drains mobile data. I personally have not had this issue and I have a 6GB data plan, and use about 2-5gb a month and I can account for all of the data being used.
    What do you mean by "wifi still drains mobile data"? Are you stating that the provider records wifi usage as mobile network usage? I am sorry, I am not that familiar with the terminology.

I also can account for all of the data being used, that is not the point; rather, the issue is that I though the usage was over wifi not mobile network.

I only found 2-3 threads that mentioned "wifi preferred" and none had addressed the issue, but I will search again. Thanks.
    04-26-13 02:22 PM
    Thanks, I will search app world to see if I can find something similar to at least test my wifi connections.
    04-26-13 02:35 PM
    So when you go out, and leave your wifi on, on your phone, and come back home, does your phone not pick up the wifi signal??

Have you checked to see if you have the latest OS running?

I leave my wifi on all the time, and it will automatically connect the second I walk in the door at home
    I have experienced unexplainable wi-fi issues a few times. I've had the phone continue to hold the 4G connection when I walk in to work and at home. Cycling wi-fi on the phone off/on resolves it, but I wasn't able to pin down the cause. I can also attest that in my occurances it was not signal strength. At work I sit approximately 10-feet from our AP that has the output cranked so high you could cook a hotdog under it! At home, I sit 6-feet from my Cisco E4200 Dual-Band router that is running the latest firmware. The connection speed couldn't be any better unless it was wired. Throughput is not an issue either since I can stream HD movies over wireless from my NAS to anywhere in my house without the slightest hint of degradation.

Since it's only happened a handful of times I'm not too concerned. But it does make me wonder why...
    04-26-13 02:54 PM
    Thanks, I will search app world to see if I can find something similar to at least test my wifi connections.
    A free one that is perfect to use on a PC is inSSIDer. It's designed specifically for this purpose.
    John Pawling and tanatos like this.
    04-26-13 02:57 PM
    I seem to be having the opposite effect, when I am near a saved hotspot it switches to that automatically, however my issue appears to be when that hotspot flakes out that the phone is still seeing the strong base band signal but the wifi is no longer functional so the phone doesn't switch to 4G, it just sits there running on wifi with no connection to the outside world so nothing works. A reboot didn't fix it because it fired up and went to 4G first then saw the wifi base band was stronger so it switched to the dead wifi. Not fixing my problem, the only thing that fixed it was restarting the hotspot. I would think there would be a little bit of code that actually tested the wifi connection with a sample bit of data to see if it was actually communicating

From the Zed of Rockivy
    Last edited by rockivy; 04-26-13 at 03:18 PM.
    04-26-13 03:02 PM
    I would download data monitor and run it for a while to see if it and your carrier's values match up. It shows data as well as wifi usage. Only problem is it needs to run in an active frame and doesn't show what is actually using the data, but it's a start.

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/25739873

Posted via CB10
    tanatos likes this.
    04-26-13 04:04 PM
    I would download data monitor and run it for a while to see if it and your carrier's values match up. It shows data as well as wifi usage. Only problem is it needs to run in an active frame and doesn't show what is actually using the data, but it's a start.

BlackBerry World - Data Monitor for BlackBerry 10

Posted via CB10
    Thanks, I will give it a try.
    04-26-13 06:01 PM
    Damn I just checked my usage and I'm at a gig of usage when my plan is only for 150mb.

I'm sure the map uses a lot of data, and viewing high resolution pictures and stuff builds up.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-13 07:32 PM
    I'm guessing that your data use is when out of wifi range. Even if you don't actively use data, the phone makes many data transfers on its own.... for example, if you have location services turned on, if you run something like a weather app, if you receive email, etc. I would even bet that there are some builtin features that regularly communicate with the phone, albeit slightly. One source of this could be that since much mail is not "Push", there may be some periodic email "Handshaking" going on.
    Being out of wifi range is not the issue, at work the router is next to my desk and at home the router is also in close proximity. According to T-mobile it is the phone that is switching by itself from wifi to mobile network and it is the why that I'm trying to figure out.
    04-27-13 08:37 AM
    Of course you can do this. Turn data service in mobile network options off. I always do this. Whenever I can connect to a decent wifi connection, I turn my cellular data device off, then switch my mobile network to 2 G only. It keeps the battery lasts longer.

Go to settings > network connections > mobile network > data services.
    I do exactly the same and helps the battery a lot.

Posted via CB10
    04-27-13 09:01 AM
    I use a charger everywhere. Keep 4g running. I have another different issue with wifi....

At work, I have next to no signal, so u rely on the wifi at work, but that also has a really bad signal from where I am. If in listening to Pandora and I lose connection, the z10 will disable the wifi, so the next time I get into range, it won't connect. I have to go back into saved wifi and enable it in order to connect.

Anyway to make this stop disabling?

Posted via CB10
    04-27-13 09:31 AM
    Are you sure the "WiFi-Prefferred" selection isn't about your UMA -- wifi-calling? Has nothing to do with data, if so. I'll check my wife's earlier BBerry, but even my last Android phone had that selection, but for wifi-calling. On T-Mo, of course.
    04-27-13 09:51 AM
    Are you sure the "WiFi-Prefferred" selection isn't about your UMA -- wifi-calling? Has nothing to do with data, if so. I'll check my wife's earlier BBerry, but even my last Android phone had that selection, but for wifi-calling. On T-Mo, of course.
    Correct. The Wifi Preferred option was only available on handsets supplied by carriers who supported UMA.
    04-27-13 09:58 AM
    And on previous OS O7 and below, UMA could be switched on via Esreen, even if your carrier did not provide UMA, though it wouldnt work obviously. This did give you the option of WiFi Prefered. I did this on my Bolds. I have had a look in the escreen on the Z10 and no option is available
    04-27-13 10:06 AM
    So when you go out, and leave your wifi on, on your phone, and come back home, does your phone not pick up the wifi signal??

Have you checked to see if you have the latest OS running?

I leave my wifi on all the time, and it will automatically connect the second I walk in the door at home
    I'm in the same boat. Wifi connects by default for every saved profile I got. At times when I have low wifi signal my internet is just dead or wifi turns back to lte.

Posted Via CB10 Z10
    04-27-13 10:07 AM
    I use a charger everywhere. Keep 4g running. I have another different issue with wifi....

At work, I have next to no signal, so u rely on the wifi at work, but that also has a really bad signal from where I am. If in listening to Pandora and I lose connection, the z10 will disable the wifi, so the next time I get into range, it won't connect. I have to go back into saved wifi and enable it in order to connect.

Anyway to make this stop disabling?

Posted via CB10
    Get better signal. It's not the phones fault..lol

Posted Via CB10 Z10
    04-27-13 10:08 AM
    I am really puzzled by your experience as my Z10 will pick up the wifi signal as soon as I get near the house (within 50-75 feet of the router) and it does not seem to care what the cell tower signal is, it just switches to the wifi. Will follow it more closely to see if it continues to operate in this fashion.
    04-27-13 10:20 AM
    Hi scrannel. I don't know if it was a setting for UMA exclusively, all I know is that I had the option under WIFI configuration in previous devices and now I don't have it anymore on the Z10. If I leave the "data services" on T-Mobile records usage at times when the Z10 is connected to my wifi, so right now the only solution to avoid this is manually turn on/off "data services" as needed, which I can do but it is a bothersome, to say the least (it has happened that I forgot to turn off and downloaded apps thinking wifi was on and according to T-Mobile was done through "mobile network"...
    04-29-13 09:40 AM
    Hi scrannel. I don't know if it was a setting for UMA exclusively, all I know is that I had the option under WIFI configuration in previous devices and now I don't have it anymore on the Z10. If I leave the "data services" on T-Mobile records usage at times when the Z10 is connected to my wifi, so right now the only solution to avoid this is manually turn on/off "data services" as needed, which I can do but it is a bothersome, to say the least (it has happened that I forgot to turn off and downloaded apps thinking wifi was on and according to T-Mobile was done through "mobile network"...
    Right, but on T-Mo (USA) with wifi-calling there are three options (unless changed): Wifi only. Wifi preferred. Cellular preferred. Idea being that if you are running data on wifi, you would have these three choices with wifi-calling. But you would still always be running data on wifi. If it's that, it should have nothing to do with data. What I do when on wifi -- because on T-Mo we have this option -- is set my network to GSM only.
    04-29-13 10:03 AM
51 123