What do you use as an alternative?

Posted via CB10
    Tank1978 likes this.
    03-29-13 11:12 AM
    I haven't found an alternative, yet. Some forums (such as this one) have their own apps, but I havnen't seen any apps that can handle multiple forums as TapaTalk does.
    03-29-13 11:17 AM
    I use Tapatalk sideloaded, and it works perfectly.
    03-29-13 11:22 AM
    I don't want to side load anything. Just feels wrong.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-13 11:26 AM
    Anyone know of any rumors of a similar app for the BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    03-29-13 11:27 AM
    That's your decision... and your loss.

30% of the apps on BlackBerry World are Android ports. A sideloaded Android app is no different, except you're doing the porting yourself.
    03-29-13 11:35 AM
    What is side loading and how do you do it?

Posted via CB10
    03-29-13 11:38 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?p=7941290

It's basically converting a standard Android app .apk file to a .bar file capable of running on BB10 or the PlayBook, then installing it on your phone.

I converted and sideloaded all of my favourite Android apps that aren't currently available for BB10.

If you don't own an Android device, there are plenty of ready converted apps over in the Android Sideload Forum.
    Silverfern likes this.
    03-29-13 11:51 AM
    Think these will ever become available for BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    03-29-13 12:01 PM

Posted via CB10
    Don't blame you, since it's been likened to piracy.
    03-29-13 12:10 PM
    Think these will ever become available for BlackBerry?
    A lot of the apps I originally sideloaded have since been ported to BlackBerry World by the developers, but many haven't yet... and some never will.
    Tapatalk is one of those that won't, as the developer has already confirmed this.
    This is a screenshot I made a month ago, and some of these apps have now been ported to BB World. Those that have been ported still work exactly the same as they did when I sideloaded them. Same version, same everything...

03-29-13 12:14 PM
    How did you make a folder to put all your stuff in?

Posted via CB10
    03-29-13 12:21 PM

Posted via CB10
    What is side loading and how do you do it?

Posted via CB10
    And 12 minutes later they changed their attitude lol.
    heading4tomorrow likes this.
    03-29-13 12:43 PM
    How did you make a folder to put all your stuff in?
    You have much to learn, Grasshopper

Just press down on any icon until it wobbles. Drag that icon over another one you want in the folder, then release it. This creates the folder and gives you the opportunity to name it. Repeat the drag and drop method for any further items you want in that folder, up to 16 icons max.
    03-29-13 12:43 PM
    Don't blame you, since it's been likened to piracy.
    ...only by the misinformed.

The Z10 has Android Runtime baked into the OS for a reason, so it can run Android apps. Those who sideload apps are just using a feature of the phone. These apps are free, so it's no different than installing them on a standard Android phone.

As for paid apps, I purchased Tapatalk for BB7 and for Android. The developer has made it quite clear he is not developing for BB10. I converted the app myself from my own Android phone. I've paid for it twice, and it works, so I have no qualms whatsoever about using it on my Z10. I do, however, object to those who upload paid app files for others to use for free, without paying.
    03-29-13 01:15 PM
    A lot of the apps I originally sideloaded have since been ported to BlackBerry World by the developers, but many haven't yet... and some never will.
    Tapatalk is one of those that won't, as the developer has already confirmed this.
    This is a screenshot I made a month ago, and some of these apps have now been ported to BB World. Those that have been ported still work exactly the same as they did when I sideloaded them. Same version, same everything...

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/30/a2edugap.jpg
    Why is ebay in there
    03-29-13 01:17 PM
    Why is ebay in there
    Like I said earlier, that screenshot is from over a month ago, and eBay wasn't available in BB World then.
    03-29-13 01:20 PM
    I use Tapatalk sideloaded, and it works perfectly.
    What version are you using? I have it for is and loved using it. Also I like it on my nexus7... its great for alerts and the like. CB10 is great but it's like a "tapatalk lite"

Posted via CB10
    03-29-13 01:21 PM
    What version are you using? I have it for is and loved using it. Also I like it on my nexus7... its great for alerts and the like. CB10 is great but it's like a "tapatalk lite"
    The full paid version, v2.4.13
    03-29-13 01:25 PM
    I miss tapatalk. I'd pay $10 to someone for a similar app.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-13 01:25 PM
    ...only by the misinformed.

The Z10 has Android Runtime baked into the OS for a reason, so it can run Android apps. Those who sideload apps are just using a feature of the phone. These apps are free, so it's no different than installing them on a standard Android phone.

As for paid apps, I purchased Tapatalk for BB7 and for Android. The developer has made it quite clear he is not developing for BB10. I converted the app myself from my own Android phone. I've paid for it twice, and it works, so I have no qualms whatsoever about using it on my Z10. I do, however, object to those who upload paid app files for others to use for free, without paying.
    Alec Saunders refers to sideloading as piracy, which, if viewed from the developer's point of view, is somewhat understandable.
    03-29-13 01:26 PM
    Alec Saunders refers to sideloading as piracy, which, if viewed from the developer's point of view, is somewhat understandable.
    He should have objected to his BB10 development team incorporating Android Runtime then

Totally understand and agree with the paid app view, but not for free apps. These developers were all offered cash for porting their apps over. Many couldn't be bothered, so others have done it for them... for free.

When we get the Jelly Bean Android Runtime update in BB10.1, sideloading is gonna take off big time!
    03-29-13 01:44 PM
    You mean BB10 runs Android? What's the point of BB OS then?
    Admorris likes this.
    03-29-13 01:51 PM
    He should have objected to his BB10 development team incorporating Android Runtime then

Totally understand and agree with the paid app view, but not for free apps. These developers were all offered cash for porting their apps over. Many couldn't be bothered, so others have done it for them... for free.

When we get the Jelly Bean Android Runtime update in BB10.1, sideloading is gonna take off big time!
    What if a developer does now want his intellectual property on a particular platform?

I get your point, and I certainly subscribe to the view that I should be able to use legitimately procured content on any device I chose, but this is dicey area.
    03-29-13 02:20 PM
    You mean BB10 runs Android? What's the point of BB OS then?
    It doesn't literally run Android. It's a full-fledged OS all on its own; it just has the ability to run some Android apps as well.
    03-29-13 02:22 PM
74 123