he is right in theory, we can sandbox everything. practical issue is whats stopping many like us. QNX and BSD and IOS (which is also BSD based) should run w/o any issue. but i have never come across such binutils which does a direct translation. and theory says bsd platforms are interchangeable (binary also?) i doubt.

M$ windows is also POSIX. but we cannot run M$ binaries (armhf) in QNX or in android or in iOS w/o a translator aka wine. so he is right in theory and paper but practically he is far off. hence butter QNX.

Yes you can run android and iOS apps in BB provided you can do a clean FHS conversation in a jailroot with repackaging and binary utils maps it well.

so he is theoritically (in pen and paper) right but technically dead wrong. i will give him an OK based on his theory which to the best of my knowledge is right, but practically DEAD wrong.

thanks
    -paul

Yeah in a sense of sandbox, planetbeing of iOS devteam took it a step further--he made a loader to multiboot iOS/android on his iPhone.

In the case of playbook: The iOS apps were run on the playbook without any performance hit. That dev said the hardest part was to rewrite the frameworks to support the iOS binaries. His iOS apps were launched within a playbook app to translate into direct access to hardware so as if it's running native.

To run binaries of different platforms, the kernel needs to speak the language of the alien binary. You would need different sets of library/frameworks for each type of OS. If I was a coder, I will turn this world upside down and bring iOS to run on your toaster even.

Linux binaries can also be used in FreeBSD since it has libraries to translate them, but last time I checked, months ago, none of the BSDs are binary compat with each other. I may have come across NetBSD having libraries for Linux, I could mistake that for FreeBSD, however.

Sent from my iPhone4S after my Z10 took a trip in the bowl
    06-22-13 10:58 PM
    Yeah in a sense of sandbox, planetbeing of iOS devteam took it a step further--he made a loader to multiboot iOS/android on his iPhone.

In the case of playbook: The iOS apps were run on the playbook without any performance hit. That dev said the hardest part was to rewrite the frameworks to support the iOS binaries. His iOS apps were launched within a playbook app to translate into direct access to hardware so as if it's running native.

To run binaries of different platforms, the kernel needs to speak the language of the alien binary. You would need different sets of library/frameworks for each type of OS. If I was a coder, I will turn this world upside down and bring iOS to run on your toaster even.

Linux binaries can also be used in FreeBSD since it has libraries to translate them, but last time I checked, months ago, none of the BSDs are binary compat with each other. I may have come across NetBSD having libraries for Linux, I could mistake that for FreeBSD, however.

Sent from my iPhone4S after my Z10 took a trip in the bowl

did you try hurd? iOS sdk is x-code IIRC IMHO. i am not sure. i dont do apple.
    His iOS apps were launched within a playbook app to translate into direct access to hardware so as if it's running native.
    thats rooting IMHO. this info helped me. thanks mate.
    so more and more tricks are popping out. sweet. did he/she release any info? you can pm me if you got more info. this will help me for sure.

you just need to translate so binutils can convert them too and fro else use virtualization like wine (errm wine like iOS to QNX, you get the idea i guess). toaster? man you are late its been done. netbsd on a toaster. ;-) search the net... man you missed the bus by a few light year.

Chapter 11. Linux� Binary Compatibility & Chapter 10. Linux emulation

here you go!

translation or emulation, is certainly a possibility. considering both are of armhf (arm hard float) family binary else they are non-compatible.

hope this helps.
    thanks
    -paul
    06-22-13 11:24 PM
27 12