Ok guys, I need a little help. I currently have the Bold 9900 and I'm planning to get a Z10. The problem I have is that the USB port/jack on my 9900 doesn't work properly. It goes in and out when charging and trying to connect to computer, so there for I have to charge with the charging dock. Therefore, I can't back it up to the BB Desktop Manager. However, I do know that BB OS7 has an option where I can save my data to my memory/media card. Can I convert my data to the Z10 using that method? And also I do have my BB Protect setup to do backups daily, so I do know I'll be able to back up some data with that at least, assuming BB10 supports or has BB Protect. And also feel free to provide any additional things I may need to be aware of.

Thanks in advance guys
    05-09-13 02:05 PM
    Ok guys, I need a little help. I currently have the Bold 9900 and I'm planning to get a Z10. The problem I have is that the USB port/jack on my 9900 doesn't work properly. It goes in and out when charging and trying to connect to computer, so there for I have to charge with the charging dock. Therefore, I can't back it up to the BB Desktop Manager. However, I do know that BB OS7 has an option where I can save my data to my memory/media card. Can I convert my data to the Z10 using that method? And also I do have my BB Protect setup to do backups daily, so I do know I'll be able to back up some data with that at least, assuming BB10 supports or has BB Protect. And also feel free to provide any additional things I may need to be aware of.

Thanks in advance guys
    Is the problem with the 9900/cable? If so, you will get a similar one with the Z10 which you can use to back up your 9900 with.
    05-09-13 02:08 PM
    in Z10 BB protect is there but no back up that way except in the 10.1 update it would become one time deal
    05-09-13 02:08 PM
    You can do a media card backup and subsequent restore in BB10 from the same media card(I did it this way). I will however caution you to not do this and start fresh. Perhaps only carry over your contacts. We have seen people have issues with loading backups from previous devices onto their BB10 device.
    05-09-13 02:10 PM
    You don't need a computer to do a device switch between bold 9900 and Z10.
    I made the switch Feb 5th. I did a back up to sd card on the 9900, purchased phone, put the sd card into z10 and moved everything over without issue.

BlackBerry Protect on Z10 does not have the same function as 9900. It is now used for device tracking primarily, but this could change in further updates.

Posted using my Mint Z10
    05-09-13 02:15 PM
    I will however caution you to not do this and start fresh. Perhaps only carry over your contacts. We have seen people have issues with loading backups from previous devices onto their BB10 device.
    You can certainly try to carry everything over. I agree with the above quote that you should just bring over contacts and start fresh.

You can either :
    1 - Do the media card transfer as mentioned above
    2 - Let the retailer where you pic up your Z10 transfer your contacts (they will be saved Local = on device)
    3 - Get all your 9900 contacts sync'd with an online email account (yahoo, outlook.com or gmail). Then just add the email contact account on the Z10 and it will sync.
    (NOTE: A few have reported that "new contacts" added on Z10 do not sync with their email account. I have only read about this related to gmail accounts and there have been other gmail sync issues reported. I have not found this to be the case but......... some have. They are simply adding "new contacts" at the online email account and letting them sync back to Z10.)

Option 3 is preferred by many so as not to depend on BB Link to restore your contacts. If you want to install OS 10 leaks/upgrades ....... simply sync'ing with the email contacts account may be the best way to go. I have not had an issue with BB Links and restore but some have. Anyway....... it is something to consider. You may want to save and create a backup contacts file somewhere off of the device just as a contingency.

BB Protect, as mentioned a couple of times above, is amazingly not an option. You can backup to it from 9900 but you cannot download the info or restore to Z10. I backed up to BB Protect before picking up my Z10. I wasted my time.
    05-09-13 02:26 PM
    Is the problem with the 9900/cable? If so, you will get a similar one with the Z10 which you can use to back up your 9900 with.
    Its the actual jack itsellf. I ordered a new cable and battery and still same problem. I have to hold the cable in the jack with my hand a certain way for it to charge and recognize the cable is present. I did something that messed it up. I'm not even sure what I did tho lol
    05-09-13 02:43 PM
    Its the actual jack itsellf. I ordered a new cable and battery and still same problem. I have to hold the cable in the jack with my hand a certain way for it to charge and recognize the cable is present. I did something that messed it up. I'm not even sure what I did tho lol
    Oh. My bad! well you can follow what the others have said. Should work fine. and I agree with them, start fresh.
    05-09-13 02:47 PM
    I made the upgrade from 9900 to Z10. The better way I found was using the SD card. Works well and fast!

I would be interested in saving my contacts to a Gmail account, can someone explain it a little bit please?!

*Sorry for the offtopic.

Cheers from Barcelona! ;-)

Posted via CB10 / Z10
    05-09-13 02:50 PM
    You don't need a computer to do a device switch between bold 9900 and Z10.
    I made the switch Feb 5th. I did a back up to sd card on the 9900, purchased phone, put the sd card into z10 and moved everything over without issue.

BlackBerry Protect on Z10 does not have the same function as 9900. It is now used for device tracking primarily, but this could change in further updates.

Posted using my Mint Z10
    Ok thanks I may give that a go
    05-09-13 02:53 PM
    You can do a media card backup and subsequent restore in BB10 from the same media card(I did it this way). I will however caution you to not do this and start fresh. Perhaps only carry over your contacts. We have seen people have issues with loading backups from previous devices onto their BB10 device.
    Ok thanks for that insight. Definitely something I'll consider
    05-09-13 02:57 PM
    You can certainly try to carry everything over. I agree with the above quote that you should just bring over contacts and start fresh.

You can either :
    1 - Do the media card transfer as mentioned above
    2 - Let the retailer where you pic up your Z10 transfer your contacts (they will be saved Local = on device)
    3 - Get all your 9900 contacts sync'd with an online email account (yahoo, outlook.com or gmail). Then just add the email contact account on the Z10 and it will sync.
    (NOTE: A few have reported that "new contacts" added on Z10 do not sync with their email account. I have only read about this related to gmail accounts and there have been other gmail sync issues reported. I have not found this to be the case but......... some have. They are simply adding "new contacts" at the online email account and letting them sync back to Z10.)

Option 3 is preferred by many so as not to depend on BB Link to restore your contacts. If you want to install OS 10 leaks/upgrades ....... simply sync'ing with the email contacts account may be the best way to go. I have not had an issue with BB Links and restore but some have. Anyway....... it is something to consider. You may want to save and create a backup contacts file somewhere off of the device just as a contingency.

BB Protect, as mentioned a couple of times above, is amazingly not an option. You can backup to it from 9900 but you cannot download the info or restore to Z10. I backed up to BB Protect before picking up my Z10. I wasted my time.
    Ok thanks. And that just reminded me of something. I have AT&T and for my 9900 they have an app called AT&T Address Book that came pre-installed that basically backs my contacts up online and I could probably use that as far as contacts are concerned.
    05-09-13 03:02 PM
    Oh. My bad! well you can follow what the others have said. Should work fine. and I agree with them, start fresh.
    Its all good man. Thanks
    05-09-13 03:07 PM
    I made the upgrade from 9900 to Z10. The better way I found was using the SD card. Works well and fast!

I would be interested in saving my contacts to a Gmail account, can someone explain it a little bit please?!

*Sorry for the offtopic.

Cheers from Barcelona! ;-)

Posted via CB10 / Z10
    Ok thanks and no problem that would be beneficial as well to know
    Biulet likes this.
    05-09-13 03:09 PM