For all you previous owners of the 9900 or any other bb qwerty phone, how would you compare the experience of the z10? Is having a keyboard more convenient? do you find yourself typing faster with the z10? What are the advantages of having a keyboard in day to day use?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    04-16-13 06:27 AM
    Hi,

I thought I could never change to a tough screen. I was wrong. I have an S3 as well, but Blackberry did a perfect job! I love my Z10 keyboard and I am faster with it than with my 9900! Time for change if you don not have a Z10!

RJR
    04-16-13 06:30 AM
    Typing wise, I can type just as fast if not faster (and getting even faster and accurate) on the z10 but the only thing I miss is the kb short cuts.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 06:34 AM
    2 thumb typing for me is about the same if not a little bit faster but one thumb typing is far and away a better experience

Posted via CB10
    billsterjito likes this.
    04-16-13 06:41 AM
    All I can say is Z10 typing is far > than S3 (even after having to BUY an app to improve it)
    04-16-13 06:47 AM
    Z10 = Faster
    9700/9780 = More accurate
    04-16-13 07:35 AM
    I went from BB9700 to BB9900 to Z10

Really thought I would always stick with the physical keyboard. With laptops, tablets and even desktop screens going touch I figured it was time to make the move.

I am still on a learning curve (about 3 weeks now). Really not to difficult and the flick typing on Z10 helps.

Every day I'm better. Having the additional screen real estate is great and in my view is worth leaving the physical keyboard.
    04-16-13 08:14 AM
    After a week I was faster than with the trusty old 9900. Now I'm even better. One-handed use is 10 times better. I occasionally miss having the keyboard shortcuts, but that's a minor sacrifice.
    04-16-13 08:15 AM
    I had the 9900 before, and found it took a little bit to get used to the on screen keyboard but after a week or so i was completely sold, no going back.

The gestures of the keyboard make it easy (and fun even) to type on the Z10. There are also some options in the settings to make your keyboard right for you...like, pop up key presses, location of word predictions (in-letter or in column). The auto correct rocks, especially when you are getting used to the on screen keyboard!

Also, the extra screen space is awesome when using other apps like Twitter, Facebook, and games.
    04-16-13 08:34 AM
    Coming from the 9900, the Z10 is quicker than I thought possible this soon. But I found myself watching the Q10 keyboard demo and I will take a look. I like the higher contrast of the predictive text on the Q10.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 08:36 AM
    Yeah screen real estate is probably the biggest compromise. I used to have a note 2 and I already find the z10 quite small but the q10 will be even smaller lol. To each his own I guess but the hardware looks absolutely stunning. I'd like to try using that one day

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 09:54 AM
    2 thumb typing for me is about the same if not a little bit faster but one thumb typing is far and away a better experience

Posted via CB10
    Same
    04-16-13 09:56 AM
    Typing wise, I can type just as fast if not faster (and getting even faster and accurate) on the z10 but the only thing I miss is the kb short cuts.

Posted via CB10
    I'm not doubting your post, but this is shocking to me. I haven't upgraded to a BB 10 device yet because I'm anxious to try a Q10. Yesterday I tried typing on a Z10 at my local Best Buy (they have a great display, btw), and the experience was awful coming from a Bold 9650. I'm not sure I correctly typed a single word in the 15 minutes I was trying out the keyboard. Maybe there are some folks (like me) who simply have to have the tactile feedback of a physical keyboard. Or maybe I'm just an incompetent typist. Whatever the case, I'm definitely waiting for the Q10 now.
    2cats1dog likes this.
    04-21-13 12:17 PM
    I had the 9900 and I've got to say it was an amazing phone. The keyboard on it was awesome. Sadly no matter what .I find a touch screen keyboard can not compare to a physical keyboard. It's like having a lambo and just having a picture of one. but still the zed ten has a pretty decent keyboard best on any touch screen.

Sent via my Z10 support your local paramedics run with scissors.
    2cats1dog likes this.
    04-21-13 12:29 PM

Posted via CB10
    This is exactly how I feel. One thumb typing with my bold was rough.

Posted via CB10
    cjcampbell likes this.
    04-21-13 12:40 PM
    I prefer to type on my bold ,find the physical touch of the keyboard far more satisfying.The bold has by far the best keyboard I have used on any device - touch or otherwise.
    04-21-13 01:02 PM
    i found the very same issue. but quickly the predictive txt will learn your typing pattern and the correct word pops up in the spacebar ... and it knows within the first few letters, so you can just skip tying the remainder of the word - hit the spacebar to enter the word plus a space. within a couple of weeks, using an older bb model will seem frustrating - because you actually have to type the whole word. plus pressing physical keys will seem tiresome to your thumbs. Funny, but true!

Unfortunately the word prediction doesn't help if you need to type alot of "non-words" in your emails. And i find entering info into contact fields takes alot longer, and a few other non email apps where the autocorrect doesn't work. I also used to use alot of symbols and alternative characters in my daily correspondence - now not so much!

And when the spacebar guess incorrectly, but you are finished entering the word and need the space .... its a bit longwinded to hit the spacebar, let it throw in the incorrect word, press backspace 3X, the autocorrect returns to your original text, but then the spacebar is blank - so you can hit space and finally continue typing. This happens to me about 2 or 3 times per email.

Personally, i find i am adapting to the virtual keyboard ok ... but i will resort to the ipad or the computer if i have to write a longer & professional email. And i really miss the keyboard shortcuts, and especially the trackpad. i find the horizontal keyboard works best for my hand size - but it eats up much of the screen real-estate, so you can only read the 2 previous lines of your message.
    04-21-13 01:38 PM
    I have a bold 9930 and I still prefer the physical keyboard over the z10 keyboard. I've been correcting typos like crazy for the past few days. I'm hoping this will get better over the coming weeks. I do appreciate the bigger screen size when browsing. I never browsed the net on my 9930. I would use my laptop or a tablet.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-13 01:53 PM
    I'm not doubting your post, but this is shocking to me. I haven't upgraded to a BB 10 device yet because I'm anxious to try a Q10. Yesterday I tried typing on a Z10 at my local Best Buy (they have a great display, btw), and the experience was awful coming from a Bold 9650. I'm not sure I correctly typed a single word in the 15 minutes I was trying out the keyboard. Maybe there are some folks (like me) who simply have to have the tactile feedback of a physical keyboard. Or maybe I'm just an incompetent typist. Whatever the case, I'm definitely waiting for the Q10 now.
    Sorry, this is the post i ment to quote in my post above.

To briefly summarize, I had planned to switch from Z10 to Q10 because although autocorrect helps writing email & txt ... it doesn't work in many other apps. And the horizontal keyboard doesn't work in certain apps either, so for example - entering contact info is almost painful (for me!).

Anyhow, i love the hardware otherwise. And the OS is really nice. But even though I miss the physical kb for accuracy in other apps, (and for shortcuts!!!) .... i wont get the Q10 because it wont have a trackpad. And I cant really put into words how much time the trackpad saves ... bb without a trackpad = computer with a bad/glitchy mouse.
    04-21-13 01:57 PM
    Z10 keyboard is better than my Torch 9810 keyboards.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-13 02:34 PM
    The z 10 is faster than my old 9700 but typing by feel while on the move is a thing of the past. I know it is a discouraged practice, but pulling phone numbers and addresses by feel and with quick glances was possible while driving in light traffic. My in car address book is dated so the type and go feature was key to calling someone while driving. I could pick out the first three letters or so of a unique name glance to check then fire. For the sake of safety I keep the phone in my lap now and either have to pull over or work quickly at red lights. I have a bit of an accent (cajun / country) so the voice features pre pretty much a no go for me.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-13 02:44 PM
    And when the spacebar guess incorrectly, but you are finished entering the word and need the space .... its a bit longwinded to hit the spacebar, let it throw in the incorrect word, press backspace 3X, the autocorrect returns to your original text, but then the spacebar is blank - so you can hit space and finally continue typing. This happens to me about 2 or 3 times per email.
    The word that you want usually appears above the keyboard. All you have to do is flick up. No back spacing necessary.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-13 04:36 PM
    Phew, difficult question...

I do think my typing was more accurate on the Bild, but I night be wrong. In real life terms I am typing at roughly the same speed on the Z10 when compared to the Bold - using real life documents.

The go is thing about the Z10 is that I do bot butcher my dictionary by speaking two languages - in often forgot to switch on the Bold, ob the Z10 I just have two.
    Then again when I check my bank account on the Bold I do have to day that buttons give you more feedback than the screen which gives you zero feedback. Then again the technology is bettet on the Z10 - active Synch is really useful for me.

I cannot reliably say which is better overall - but I can say which task the Bold does a lot better: highlighting and copying text.

Posted via CB10
    2cats1dog likes this.
    04-21-13 04:53 PM
    The word that you want usually appears above the keyboard. All you have to do is flick up. No back spacing necessary.

Posted via CB10
    I need to find a tutorial about flicking ... I cannot get that to work for me whatsoever! I end up pressing the spacebar when trying to flick.
    04-25-13 12:17 PM