Hello!

It's my first thread on CB so I apologize if I'm not posting where I'm supposed to. I will try to keep it as short as possible.

My 2.5 years old 9780 has started misbehaving a few weeks back and I'm looking to upgrade. I am in the market for a new Z10 or perhaps Z30 but before I make up my mind I would really appreciate your help to clarify a few things. I made a short list of Yes/No questions:

1. If I backup my 9780 using the BB desktop software will I be able to upload/restore everything later on the Z10?

2. I do not game on the phone, I use it mainly for calls (1-2 hours), emails (30 in+out/day) and bbm (under 200 messages/day), light browsing (maybe .5-1 hours). Can I expect 24h on a battery charge?

3. My local Vodafone reps probably function as Samsung reps as well. They would not stop criticising the Z10 and even refusing to let me test the device, pushing me to the SIII. Also they are all telling me I need a special BB subscription to have email on my phone and my data plan would not be enough. I now have BIS on my 9780 and I thought with BB10 you no longer need that for your emails. Do I need a special BB plan?

4. How soon do you think we can expect the second installment of the Z10? (like a z11, z10-2, something with the new features of the Z30 but less cumbersome)

I was extremely satisfied with the 9780 and I appreciate the product quality of the device. Now that it's time to change I would be stupid to jump the boat. Thank you for your time and I appreciate the support!
    11-08-13 05:21 AM
    1. Not sure
    2. Z10 = No, Z30 = Probably Yes
    3. No (No BIS)
    4. Unknown at the moment.

"My toast is better than yours!"
    11-08-13 05:28 AM
    Hello!

It's my first thread on CB so I apologize if I'm not posting where I'm supposed to. I will try to keep it as short as possible.

My 2.5 years old 9780 has started misbehaving a few weeks back and I'm looking to upgrade. I am in the market for a new Z10 or perhaps Z30 but before I make up my mind I would really appreciate your help to clarify a few things. I made a short list of Yes/No questions:

1. If I backup my 9780 using the BB desktop software will I be able to upload/restore everything later on the Z10?

2. I do not game on the phone, I use it mainly for calls (1-2 hours), emails (30 in+out/day) and bbm (under 200 messages/day), light browsing (maybe .5-1 hours). Can I expect 24h on a battery charge?

3. My local Vodafone reps probably function as Samsung reps as well. They would not stop criticising the Z10 and even refusing to let me test the device, pushing me to the SIII. Also they are all telling me I need a special BB subscription to have email on my phone and my data plan would not be enough. I now have BIS on my 9780 and I thought with BB10 you no longer need that for your emails. Do I need a special BB plan?

4. How soon do you think we can expect the second installment of the Z10? (like a z11, z10-2, something with the new features of the Z30 but less cumbersome)

I was extremely satisfied with the 9780 and I appreciate the product quality of the device. Now that it's time to change I would be stupid to jump the boat. Thank you for your time and I appreciate the support!
    Hey, welcome to crackberry...
    1. Dnt knw
    2. Battery max is 6 hours ( carry a xtra battery or portable charger or stuff like that)
    3. It doesn't require a bis plan, it works on normal 3g plan
    4 z30 is grrat, dnt knw

Overall. Keeping the battery life aside, z10 is the best phone available today... you won't regret
    Clasy looking phone, grt built.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 05:30 AM
    Z10 is amazing and you dot. Need any plan, it's just like any other phone, and the phone signal is amazing, keyboard rox but poor battery life, z30 is way better just because eof the battery... get the z30

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 05:33 AM
    And yes, you will be able to back up, that's what I did for my BlackBerry Bold 9780 and now I have a z10

Posted via CB10
    oqpq likes this.
    11-08-13 05:33 AM
    I am coming from a 9780 as well and will try to answer (some of) your questions:

1. You can use BlackBerry Link for migration from 9780 to Z10. It works very well. I did it that way and I didn't miss things that were on my 9780. So, contacts, calendar, etc. were al there after the migration. Just follow the directions of BB Link.

2. That sounds challenging. But then, are you really 24h up and running? Why not charge it overnight? I think, with the kind of use you describe, you can do about 16 - 20 hours, but it also depends on screen brightness and so.

3. You definitely don't need a special BB plan on a Z10. It just works with every normal data plan. It sounds like a cheap trick to keep you away from a Z10, but it might be said out of ignorance as well.

4. No idea at all.

Good luck with your choice!
    oqpq likes this.
    11-08-13 05:38 AM
    The phone itself is probably great (I have a Q10), but be very wary about data charge increases. Vodafone never told me the new bb10 uses no compression, so if you're coming from an old BlackBerry like I was, you'll see maybe a five or tenfold increase in data. If you have an unlimited data plan, then there's no need to worry,b but Voda aren't really good when it comes to data so if you're a heavy user or you think you might become one with a bigger screen consider alternatives.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 05:57 AM
    I have a Z10 with official 10.2 and manage a whole day easily on a full charge. I'm on YouTube, browser, BBM, channels and email the whole day. No side loaded apps. I'm also on wifi work and home so don't know if that helps the battery situation. So yes for what you need the Z10 is a good choice but I personally would rather get the Z30.
    11-08-13 06:05 AM
    Even I am looking for this transition to Z10, I believe it is the best available phone in the market as of now. Samsung and android are generating the numbers due to the plenty of mindless apps and I pity for those who buy phones only for apps and games. The only reason that all the Samsung users or android users give for buying a Samsung phone is that "hey, its got n number of apps", now common, even if it has got a billion apps, how many can your 64 gb actually store? how many do you actually need and how many of those are just to increase the count in the playstore? rubbish.

Z10 is a wonderful gadget, brilliant OS. Go get it, but you might want to consider the Z30 if u need bigger screen, better battery life and better sound.
    11-08-13 06:14 AM
    Like others have said you will not need a BIS but you WILL use more data.

Not to discouraged you from getting a BlackBerry 10 device but be aware that BlackBerry 10 is missing features that your 9780 has. I would list then but I would be typing a long time. Maybe list some of the features you use most and we can say if they are available. An example is notifications are limited compared to BBOS.
    11-08-13 06:20 AM
    I used to have the 9780. My first Bold and loved it. Then I upgraded to the 9900 and now have the Z10, which has surpassed my expectations. I carry a battery bundle, which is lightweight and not cumbersome at all. My Z10 does last me from 6am - 9pm on most days with heavy texting, social media, browsing, camera and some music playing. Wifi is on. As others have stated, u do not need a different data plan but it does use more data due to lack of compression. Some things to consider vs the Z30 is non removable battery with the Z30, and the Z30 has an amoled screen vs the Z10's. Size is a factor too if u have small hands and need to swipe one handed from one end to the other.

Curve 8320, Bold 9780, Bold 9900, PB 64gb, Z10
    11-08-13 07:01 AM