Finally. Maybe I can think about getting a Z10 without getting a second mortgage for the data plan.
    Careful though. Most modern smartphones use a fair bit of data. What phone do you use now, and for what? Also depends on where (country and city) you are as well.

Posted Via CB10 on my Zed10
    04-16-13 06:10 PM
    The z10 is exactly comparable to any other kind of current "smartphone", from the other brands (IPhone, Samsung devices, Nokia Windows phones, etc.) in their use of "data". Meaning they use a standard data plan.
    So, if my wife's 4G (well, HSPA+) Android uses less than 200MB per month (except when traveling), then my Z10 (when I get one) shouldn't be blowing chunks of data either.

I fully expect I -WILL- use more data because of no BIS and doing more because the Z10 -CAN- do more than my Torch 9800. However, I cannot believe I need to quintuple my data plan because "that's normal, dude."
    04-16-13 06:16 PM
    Careful though. Most modern smartphones use a fair bit of data. What phone do you use now, and for what? Also depends on where (country and city) you are as well.

Current phone: My signature shows Torch 9800
    For what: Mostly calls and email. Google Maps app during my commute. Occasional camera.Try only to browse when on wi-fi as it's just too painful otherwise.
    Other factors: I'm on wi-fi at home and work.
    04-16-13 06:21 PM
    Current phone: My signature shows Torch 9800
    For what: Mostly calls and email. Google Maps app during my commute. Occasional camera.Try only to browse when on wi-fi as it's just too painful otherwise.
    Other factors: I'm on wi-fi at home and work.
    couldn't see your signature in CB10, sorry for asking. I came from a Torch 9810 to the Z10 and because of all the cool new apps like CB10, HD screen for all those amazing YouTube cat videos, and lack of BIS compressed email, you will probably need at least twice the data you currently have.

I have four phones (family plan) and went from 2GB in my plan to 6GB when I bought the Z10.

I knew it would use more data than my Torch, so I was prepared. My old plan was grandfathered and the smallest upgrade I could get was the 6GB family plan. With Two Torches and two android phones on the plan, I was using around 600MB per month. Right now with the Z10 change, it is around 1.5 GB per month BUT my online habits have changed a lot.

I hope this helps you. Whatever you do, I'd suggest discussing with your carrier. I find they do know somethings ;-)

04-16-13 07:02 PM
    I am at 260MB or so in one week of usage. I also am on WIFI 90% of the time, basically if I'm not in a car or bus, I'm on WIFI. This is slightly bad since 500mB is my monthly limit for T-Mobile since I'm on their cheapest plan. Not a big deal, once I run out of data I can just use WIFI, as I have a dedicated GPS so I'm not really SOL if I truly run out of Data. I'm on BB Z10 so I think much of the data being sent is to Blackberry to improve the phone, since there was that one disclaimer from Blackberry during initial startup.
    04-16-13 08:17 PM
    I've been monitoring my data usage, since getting the Z10 and changing my plan to 2gb, from 500mb. No problems as I'm on wifi most of the time. But last Friday afternoon in the office , I used the mobile hot spot to my PlayBook and watched the Masters golf on TSN.ca for 90 minutes or so ... data usage was 503 MB! Today I was off wifi on a bus, listening to Tunein radio for an hour, used 14.5mb. My total usage now is 564mb, so the video streaming is not surprisingly the big eater of data.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 09:58 PM
    I am having a similar issue. The Z10 is eating copious amounts of data compared to my previous Curve. I've resorted to looking at data as a luxury and am now setting the data switch to "off" as my default. I'll turn it on once or twice during the week if I am expecting something critical and am not near Wi-Fi access.
    04-16-13 11:42 PM
    650 MB is not much. Are you a real person?

Posted via CB10
    Tbh 650mb is a lot when you just send plain emails, are on cb forum and do the occasional browse. The op doesn't read like some yuv watching stupid YouTube movies all day.

Something seriously not right there op. As the others suggested clear the offending email account and try it again.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 11:51 PM
    Someone dropped the soap, I smell a troll.
    Bilaal likes this.
    04-17-13 01:04 AM
    An HD video can be very large in just a short time. Since you were recording content at 1080p we can assume that one video was 10-20mb in size. That is 3% of your data usage in sending that one time. Of you also have it syncing to the cloud, sending to FB, etc you can easily see how that could be a very large portion of your usage. Also, your initial setup, if you did your first update over carrier network, that could easily be another 100MB. Browsing is also going to use. Lot more than expected. Go to a pc and download a full page from your typical sites, including graphics. You will get a feel for how large true Web pages are. Simple browsing could be using 1MB or more per page per site, and if you are visiting 5-10 even 20 pages a day, that accounts for 5-20MB per day, 6 days is another 30-100MB. YMMV obviously as some sites are larger or smaller. It is very easy to use 650MB. On 6 days I have used about 3.4GB of data. Also keep in mind that your first week or even Few days are going to have higher usage with all your accounts syncing up, playing with the phone, testing it, etc.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 04:31 AM
    Someone dropped the soap, I smell a troll.
    Why do you say that? What posts are you referring to?
    04-17-13 07:45 AM
    I'm sorry but I think you will need more. No modern device can go a month on 250.
    I respectfully disagree with this, if you are referring to mobile network data.
    My children 17,15 and 13 (1 iPhone 5 and 2 iPhone 4S) are on the Rogers $55/mo plan with, just about, unlimited everything but only 150MB of data per month. They never use more than 80% of their data.

A lot may have to do with daily wifi access and position in life. They have wifi at school and home and when they go out its hard to find a restaurant or venue these days that doesn't offer free wifi as well...at least in our community.
    Bilaal likes this.
    04-17-13 08:15 AM
    Just got off the phone to an Orange Rep. The nice lady told me I had nothing to worry about since my contract started on the 10th and my billing data begins tomorrow, I was allocated 60mb of data for the first week and I'd only used 16mb of that! :-D

So come tomorrow, everything will be refreshed and if I go over 250mb to 1GB, I will only get charged �5. I used 16mb within 7 days, I have nothing to worry about :-)

Thank God for Wi-Fi.
    04-17-13 08:51 AM
    I respectfully disagree with this, if you are referring to mobile network data.
    My children 17,15 and 13 (1 iPhone 5 and 2 iPhone 4S) are on the Rogers $55/mo plan with, just about, unlimited everything but only 150MB of data per month. They never use more than 80% of their data.

A lot may have to do with daily wifi access and position in life. They have wifi at school and home and when they go out its hard to find a restaurant or venue these days that doesn't offer free wifi as well...at least in our community.
    That is fantastic. I could not manage that.

I work in a secure building that does not allow wifi. While I commute I am not on WiFi.

I do not access public wifi except occasionally at a particular restaurant I go to a couple of times a month.

Different uses.

Posted via CB10
    Bilaal likes this.
    04-17-13 09:13 AM
    Browsing is also going to use. Lot more than expected. Go to a pc and download a full page from your typical sites, including graphics. You will get a feel for how large true Web pages are. Simple browsing could be using 1MB or more per page per site, and if you are visiting 5-10 even 20 pages a day, that accounts for 5-20MB per day, 6 days is another 30-100MB. YMMV obviously as some sites are larger or smaller. It is very easy to use 650MB. On 6 days I have used about 3.4GB of data. Also keep in mind that your first week or even Few days are going to have higher usage with all your accounts syncing up, playing with the phone, testing it, etc.

Posted via CB10
    So I have this awesome new browser, but gotta watch my browsing when not on wi-fi? Sheesh.........
    04-17-13 05:51 PM
    After 8 days use this month Data Monitor reports 640 MB on the wireless carrier network and 412 MB on WiFi network(s). Now most of my carrier network usage is email, CB10, LinkedIn, and some web surfing. Most of the music streaming is over WiFi though not entirely.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    04-17-13 06:09 PM
    I stay mostly in the office with Wifi and at home since I got my TMO Z10 on the launch, which is about 3 weeks now. I only manage to reach just under 200MB.

So, if someone says he/she use it mostly in with Wifi, I have a hard time believing over 600MB in just a week. Of course watching any HD movie or even just streaming YouTube video will consume considerable amount of data very quickly.
    04-17-13 06:25 PM
    After 8 days use this month Data Monitor reports 640 MB on the wireless carrier network and 412 MB on WiFi network(s). Now most of my carrier network usage is email, CB10, LinkedIn, and some web surfing. Most of the music streaming is over WiFi though not entirely.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    That's the kind of usage I was getting, back on my 9900 I only use 20mb a day tops.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 06:27 PM
    Try this

1. Go to your setting
    2. Open network connection
    3. Mobile network
    4. Data services turn it off

So now your phone will not use 650 mb with you knowing it.

Batberry Z10
    04-17-13 06:36 PM
    Due to this thread I decided to try to check my data usage daily, even though I've never come near to using my 2GB.

So 2 nights ago I downloaded a jewel game, I was on the point of deleting it because it wanted stupid permissions for a game, but thought I'm being paranoid. It's got all right reviews (although it also had a few from people who had deleted it because of the permissions it requires).

Anyway - its the first day of my billing cycle, I use the app for about an hour. At home, on wifi. Next morning I checked my data and showing 534kb used. Ok. A little strange. Last night before I started playing I checked my data usage (I have the Rogers carrier app for this) still showing just 534kb used. Play the game for about an hour. At home, on wifi. This morning my usage shows at 1.2mb.

Now it's possible that the Rogers app only updates overnight and its just adding usage from the day before. But for curiosity 's sake I'm going to not play the jewell game tonight and see what my usage says tomorrow. If my usage doesn't change between tonight and tomorrow I will be deleting the game. However, I don't know how it can be using data if I'm on wifi?

Posted via CB10
    04-18-13 09:04 AM
    I agree. I never use to pass over 400mb a month and im already on 1.5gb . And im on wifi 90% of the time.. and i dont even browse that much.. hopefully i dont reach the 2.5 gb i got with tmobile. But the z10 does suck up alot of data. When i had the GsII i usr netflix. Tune in. Internet alottttttttt more than what i use my z10 and i didnt reach 1gb.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-13 10:39 AM
    Coffee came out of my nose when i was laughing
    LMFAOOOO
    04-18-13 12:05 PM
    Why do you say that? What posts are you referring to?
    There are too many to pick and choose (and to avoid being accused of the same). Read the thread and you can pick them out. I don't say things like that "just because", I actually could tell there was someone trying to start something and with 7 (or more now) pages of posts I believe they have succeeded.
    04-18-13 01:01 PM
    Ok. I checked my data usage last night. 3.7MB. Played some angry birds. Checked data this morning. Still at 3.7MB. So somehow I strongly suspect that jewel game of using data even though I was on wifi. Is that even possible?

I could have tested it by turning data services off and trying to play it. Maybe I will redownload it and do that.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-13 08:48 AM
    Ok. I checked my data usage last night. 3.7MB. Played some angry birds. Checked data this morning. Still at 3.7MB. So somehow I strongly suspect that jewel game of using data even though I was on wifi. Is that even possible?

I could have tested it by turning data services off and trying to play it. Maybe I will redownload it and do that.

Posted via CB10
    Yes it is possible. If the jewel game can't get to their site via WiFi it will use mobile network. This will happen because of 2 reasons: your ISP blocks it on WiFi or if the app is not written correctly.

I would ask the app developer.

Vorkosigan likes this.
    04-20-13 12:46 PM
181 ... 5678