I agree, the browser on the z10 is awesome it beats my s4

Posted via CB10
    03-03-14 07:05 PM
    BB10's lack of keyboard choices actually prohibits me from using it for real work, but I am weird in that I hate peck typing.
    Now that shocks me. I've used the iPhone 5S and Galaxy S4 keyboard extensively and I found the Z10 keyboard to be the winner hands down.

S4 didn't have auto punctuation or simple things like two spaces turns into a period followed by a space. No auto capitalization on first word in a sentence either, if I remember correctly.

I also find the Z10 keys to be the easiest also.

Guess it's just user preference.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    03-03-14 07:12 PM
    Now that shocks me. I've used the iPhone 5S and Galaxy S4 keyboard extensively and I found the Z10 keyboard to be the winner hands down.

S4 didn't have auto punctuation or simple things like two spaces turns into a period followed by a space. No auto capitalization on first word in a sentence either, if I remember correctly.

Definitely user preference. I can't use the iOS keyboard at all. I am not a big fan of the WP* keyboard either, but know people who are extremely precise on both.

I prefer Swype. I'm extremely fast, it is infinitely customizable and it is cloud supported. The latter is important, as I write almost full time now, and need to use custom words on several different devices. With Swype, I type primarily on my mobile devices, and my personalized dictionary with unique words (BBRY, MSFT, gameplay, etc) are populated. I can also type one-handed as well, with both hands.

So, say I receive a tablet to review. I load Swype and type the review directly on the device, using words related to the device.

Swype also has pretty good dictation (Dragon). I use it extensively.

So, it isn't like the BBRY keyboard ain't a fantastic keyboard; it just doesn't fit my unique needs as well as I would like. I consider Swype to be an anchor app.
    Creaulx likes this.
    03-03-14 07:56 PM
    Definitely user preference. I can't use the iOS keyboard at all. I am not a big fan of the WP* keyboard either, but know people who are extremely precise on both.

I prefer Swype. I'm extremely fast, it is infinitely customizable and it is cloud supported. The latter is important, as I write almost full time now, and need to use custom words on several different devices. With Swype, I type primarily on my mobile devices, and my personalized dictionary with unique words (BBRY, MSFT, gameplay, etc) are populated. I can also type one-handed as well, with both hands.

So, say I receive a tablet to review. I load Swype and type the review directly on the device, using words related to the device.

Swype also has pretty good dictation (Dragon). I use it extensively.

So, it isn't like the BBRY keyboard ain't a fantastic keyboard; it just doesn't fit my unique needs as well as I would like. I consider Swype to be an anchor app.
    Does the size of the keyboard play a role? A guy I work with has the Note 2 or Note 4 and loves that the keys are bigger.

03-03-14 08:08 PM
    Does the size of the keyboard play a role? A guy I work with has the Note 2 or Note 4 and loves that the keys are bigger.

Yes, I think big keys are definitely of a premium.
    03-03-14 08:26 PM
    This is more a testament to Sony than Android. Sony phones have a much better battery life than Samsung (think Z1 vs S4 or Note 3). It's hard to say "Android" phones are ______ about anything since each manufacturer's model is vastly different from the next.

Daily Old Radio Shows! The only Channel that actually offers you a source for entertainment. C0012487D
    Of course, I've owned many Android phones and that's why I said "can be" at the beginning.

To be fair, my Samsung Note 2 had the same battery life (Note 3 shouldn't be much different). A friend at work charges his S4 about every third day (light user). My LG G2 had about the same battery life but not quite.

Though take Nexus 5 for example, it has pretty horrible battery life compared to other phones. So yes it warries a lot between manufacturer. I'm not one to speak for Android "in general" because I've had plenty of them and know their differences. As always, research is the key. But I find the Z10 too good to pass even though it has the crappiest battery life of all the 10 smarphones I've owned so far in 2 years.
    Last edited by dannejanne; 03-03-14 at 11:41 PM.
    03-03-14 11:29 PM
    Many of my friends use android phones, from Xperias, LG's, huawei's, etc... and every one of them turns off Internet connection in order to get longer battery life. I didn't test their phones to see how long their battery's last, with Internet on, but I assume it's not so long because every time I turn Internet on their phones on I get "cut that off when you finish, my battery will be drained".
    I could not imagine using my Z10 without internet connection.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-14 02:31 AM
    I do not know how your friends treats their phones but I never turn of the internet connection on any of my Androids and never have issues.

Their statements is simply not true. If so they don't know how to use their phones properly. A lot of misinformation about Android going around here.

I'm neutral to them all as I've used them all. iOS, Android, Windows Phone, Meego, Blackberry. I'm not partial in any way to any system. Most people seem to be.

Sent from my Sony Z Ultra
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    03-04-14 02:44 AM
    Many of my friends use android phones, from Xperias, LG's, huawei's, etc... and every one of them turns off Internet connection in order to get longer battery life. I didn't test their phones to see how long their battery's last, with Internet on, but I assume it's not so long because every time I turn Internet on their phones on I get "cut that off when you finish, my battery will be drained".
    I could not imagine using my Z10 without internet connection.

Posted via CB10
    It all boils down to priorities. Some folks wouldn't dream of using a platform that uses a runtime, but hey.

But yep, I wouldn't use a device that needs connectivity services cut off to function.
    03-04-14 02:47 AM
    Then you guys would be stoked by a Z30.
    PatrickMJS and BergerKing like this.
    03-04-14 07:13 AM

Funny you would mention that, as my keyboard is set up for this. It is an option. It is found in all four of the keyboards I have installed, in the Settings.

Black berry's are reliable productivity tools and Android devices are multimedia toys. Android can do *more* but sacrifices a lot for that flexibility. The things that BB does it does better than the rest. Things like workflow, browsing, file transfer, typing, and speed are king with BB rather than the ability to play games on a massive cinema sized screen with a huge octocore CPU that kills your battery in two nanoseconds.

Posted via Z10
    The OS and capabilities are pretty equal, with some trade-offs here and there. But the fact is, the Tools vs Toys aspect is overused and over quoted. Being a user of both, I've found out that while it takes a learning curve, the aspects of either are only as flexible as the user using them.

One cannot say that in four days you've become fluid in an OS. It is a preference, and the amount of adapting you are willing to do. It is said a closed mind gathers no thought, but in reality, there were people that hated the early BB10 experience. Even as you learn it, it improves dramatically, it becomes second nature.

People as a general statement, are mentally resistant to change. Even more, their subconscious muscle memory creates frustration, which sours any new experience unless overcome be something that creates excitement, which works to help you overcome the resistance.

Old habits die hard. We cannot deny our preferences, but we cannot beat others over the head with our own without expecting some push back.
    Last edited by BergerKing; 03-04-14 at 12:51 PM.
    03-04-14 10:12 AM
    Pretty much sums up my thoughts after experience with both systems. Except the battery life part. Many new Android phones with 5" screens have fantastic battery life and quad-cores and such are actually pretty power effecient. That's my only gripe with the Z10. The bad battery life.
    5" and great battery life? Try a Z30!
    I wish I had one...
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    03-04-14 10:31 AM
    5" and great battery life? Try a Z30!
    I wish I had one...
    You aren't alone in that respect.
    03-04-14 12:33 PM

One of the recent features available in SwiftKey is the ability to re-size the keyboard to whatever size works for you the best. I've found I am able to use the smallest size, which optimizes the usable screen area on the S4. Works the same on the other phones and phablets that use it. Plus, there are color, Flow, and Thumb keyboards, as well.
    03-04-14 12:37 PM
    One of the recent features available in SwiftKey is the ability to re-size the keyboard to whatever size works for you the best. I've found I am able to use the smallest size, which optimizes the usable screen area on the S4. Works the same on the other phones and phablets that use it. Plus, there are color, Flow, and Thumb keyboards, as well.
    Swiftkey keeps getting better and better. The option set it a very compelling keyboard.

I own it, though I don't use it currently. Have they added cloud functionality yet?
    03-04-14 12:39 PM
    Swiftkey keeps getting better and better. The option set it a very compelling keyboard.

I own it, though I don't use it currently. Have they added cloud functionality yet?
    Yes, they have.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    03-04-14 12:52 PM
    Speaking of android any thoughts in the Sony z1 compact? Thinking of it as my second phone along side the z10

Posted via CB10
    Hi, Android as a second /back up phone?, check out Motorola Moto G,
    works well with good screen and battery life, running KitKat 4.4.2 and almost pure Android
    not the usual bloat ware, and the give away price for it's specifications.
    03-04-14 02:42 PM
42 12