The battery life on my Z10 after the latest update plus the daily multiple reboots led me back to my Vz store last Sunday. Since I am on my 4th Z since June with multiple issues, the manager agreed to replace it at no cost with a different device. The only thing he offer me without it costing me mega bucks was a Galaxy S4 refurb kit. 2 days later I had the phone and set it up.
    After using it for 4 days and tweaking it as much as I could, I still find that the Z10 browser is faster than anything I try on the S4. The notifications using vibrate mode on the S4 leave much to be desired, as there is the option for only 1 setting across the phone. This is like the Z started out with as has improved greatly since.
    The messaging app and the whole Touch Wiz interface is very cartoonish and can be maddening at times. I've turned off all of the gestures and animations to save the battery and improve the speed of the phone.
    The thing is when I am near WiFi at home, I find myself using the Z for web browsing and email over the S4. It just fits in your hand better and even after I loaded SwiftKey on the S4, the Z's keyboard is better.
    All in all, the S4 to me leaves much to be desired. I am loading up the latest .2141 leak in the hopes for a better battery life and will probably send back the S4 in the next few days. For all the hype, it is a very underwhelming phone to me.
    03-02-14 01:50 PM
    So you thought the grass was greener on the other side until you found out that it wasn't!

Posted via CB10 on Z30 STA100-2 /10.2.1.2141 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.1
    Last edited by johnnyuk; 03-02-14 at 04:57 PM.
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    03-02-14 02:00 PM
    I completely lost hope in Android after looking at the Nexus 5. I feel that android is just an experiment. Like a science project or something. iOS, BlackBerry OS and 10 and, Windows Phone are more polished. I had an S3 before getting a Z10. Man, this is a phone that gets work done. I don't think I'm ever going to go back to Android for a phone OS anytime soon. Nokia X looks good though.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-14 02:02 PM
    i used a s3 for a week and have no regrets about going bb10.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    03-02-14 02:07 PM
    Android isn't as clean as experience as BB10 in my opinion. I sometimes pick up my girlfriends xperia Z. A flagship android device but it's not truly smooth...

The core functions, are just better fitted on my BlackBerry. Calling, mailing, texting, browsing. The things I need my phone most for just work smoother.

So yes, keep the Z would be my advice. I have been switching phone systems for years. But haven't stayed with one as long as bb10 for quite a while.

Posted via BlackBerry Q10
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    03-02-14 02:16 PM
    Black berry's are reliable productivity tools and Android devices are multimedia toys. Android can do *more* but sacrifices a lot for that flexibility. The things that BB does it does better than the rest. Things like workflow, browsing, file transfer, typing, and speed are king with BB rather than the ability to play games on a massive cinema sized screen with a huge octocore CPU that kills your battery in two nanoseconds.

Posted via Z10
    03-02-14 03:08 PM
    The battery life on my Z10 after the latest update plus the daily multiple reboots led me back to my Vz store last Sunday. Since I am on my 4th Z since June with multiple issues, the manager agreed to replace it at no cost with a different device. The only thing he offer me without it costing me mega bucks was a Galaxy S4 refurb kit. 2 days later I had the phone and set it up.
    After using it for 4 days and tweaking it as much as I could, I still find that the Z10 browser is faster than anything I try on the S4. The notifications using vibrate mode on the S4 leave much to be desired, as there is the option for only 1 setting across the phone. This is like the Z started out with as has improved greatly since.
    The messaging app and the whole Touch Wiz interface is very cartoonish and can be maddening at times. I've turned off all of the gestures and animations to save the battery and improve the speed of the phone.
    The thing is when I am near WiFi at home, I find myself using the Z for web browsing and email over the S4. It just fits in your hand better and even after I loaded SwiftKey on the S4, the Z's keyboard is better.
    All in all, the S4 to me leaves much to be desired. I am loading up the latest .2141 leak in the hopes for a better battery life and will probably send back the S4 in the next few days. For all the hype, it is a very underwhelming phone to me.
    Buy a use one on ebay.
    03-02-14 06:32 PM
    I have both, but my sim card stay in my z10, better battery life with s4 but z10 is all around better!!!

Posted via CB10
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    03-02-14 07:08 PM
    I have both, but my sim card stay in my z10, better battery life with s4 but z10 is all around better!!!

Posted via CB10
    Yeah. The Z10 1800mah battery is tiny compared to the 2800mah in the S5.

Z10 ftw!

Posted via CB10
    03-02-14 07:18 PM
    Black berry's are reliable productivity tools and Android devices are multimedia toys.
    Depends on what you need to do, really.

Thankfully, BBRY seems to have a better grasp and more respect of what competing OSes can do, and even looks to emulate them.
    Drew808 likes this.
    03-02-14 07:51 PM
    Black berry's are reliable productivity tools and Android devices are multimedia toys. Android can do *more* but sacrifices a lot for that flexibility. The things that BB does it does better than the rest. Things like workflow, browsing, file transfer, typing, and speed are king with BB rather than the ability to play games on a massive cinema sized screen with a huge octocore CPU that kills your battery in two nanoseconds.

Posted via Z10
    Pretty much sums up my thoughts after experience with both systems. Except the battery life part. Many new Android phones with 5" screens have fantastic battery life and quad-cores and such are actually pretty power effecient. That's my only gripe with the Z10. The bad battery life.
    03-03-14 01:29 AM
    Pretty much sums up my thoughts after experience with both systems. Except the battery life part. Many new Android phones with 5" screens have fantastic battery life and quad-cores and such are actually pretty power effecient. That's my only gripe with the Z10. The bad battery life.
    In my opinion with Android there is often too much bloat and inefficiency to get decent battery life. Every Android phone I've worked with has left much to he desired unless you really strip it down.

Posted via Z10
    03-03-14 03:25 AM
    In my opinion with Android there is often too much bloat and inefficiency to get decent battery life. Every Android phone I've worked with has left much to he desired unless you really strip it down.

Posted via Z10
    I have a Sony Z Ultra with 3000mAh battery (6,4" screen). It lasts me three days with the same usage as with my Z10 and it lasts a day. My Sony Z Ultra lays at home now as a minitablet as I have my Z10 as phone. The Ultra is connected to wifi 24/7. Last night it had a uptime of 3 days and 21 hours, screen-on time 3 hours 10 minutes and I had 30% battery left. Granted it has no SIM in it. But still.

Same with the LG G2. I could go three days with it on one charge and have 4 hours screen-on time anyway. Many of todays newer Android phones have fantastic battery life.

My Sony Z Ultra drops 1% every 4 hour in standby. I can squeeze out almost an hour screen-on time every 10% if I keep the screen brightness low.

But yes there are many Android phones that have bad battery life too. You have to go up to 5" screens and flagship devices to get the awesome battery performance.

Samsung is the king of bloat.
    Last edited by dannejanne; 03-03-14 at 07:36 AM.
    03-03-14 04:02 AM
    Speaking of android any thoughts in the Sony z1 compact? Thinking of it as my second phone along side the z10

Posted via CB10
    03-03-14 04:05 AM
    Not to be the devil's advocate here, and keeping I'm mind the fact that I find Touchwiz the worst thing on phones, BUT, seems like the OP suffered from the same thing that plagued early BB10 reviewers: not bring familiar enough to give an informed opinion.

I.e. You can indeed change the vibrate only notifications for each individual program, not to mention each contact. The default notification you are referring to is found in the system settings menu. However, just as in BB10, each program has its own settings menu. So, if you go into email, tap the menu button, and go into the settings there you can change the vibrate profile for that program (and each individual email account) same goes for text messages, voice mail, etc.

Daily Old Radio Shows! The only Channel that actually offers you a source for entertainment. C0012487D
    03-03-14 04:36 AM
    Not to be the devil's advocate here, and keeping I'm mind the fact that I find Touchwiz the worst thing on phones, BUT, seems like the OP suffered from the same thing that plagued early BB10 reviewers: not bring familiar enough to give an informed opinion.

I.e. You can indeed change the vibrate only notifications for each individual program, not to mention each contact. The default notification you are referring to is found in the system settings menu. However, just as in BB10, each program has its own settings menu. So, if you go into email, tap the menu button, and go into the settings there you can change the vibrate profile for that program (and each individual email account) same goes for text messages, voice mail, etc.

Daily Old Radio Shows! The only Channel that actually offers you a source for entertainment. C0012487D
    I don't have the S4 with me now, as its home in the shipping box, but I was all over every menu option I could find and did not see anywhere to set different vibration patterns on texts and emails. It's there for sounds, but I cannot find it for vibrate. I think that is why there are so many SMS vibration apps in the Play Store. They compensate for the lack of this feature. I will check it when I get home, but for now I'm enjoying being back on my Z10.
    03-03-14 08:58 AM
    The Android keyboards are brutal. Main reason I dumped my S3 for my z10

Posted via CB10
    03-03-14 12:07 PM
    The Android keyboards are brutal. Main reason I dumped my S3 for my z10

Posted via CB10
    BB10's lack of keyboard choices actually prohibits me from using it for real work, but I am weird in that I hate peck typing.
    03-03-14 12:15 PM
    BB10's lack of keyboard choices actually prohibits me from using it for real work, but I am weird in that I hate peck typing.
    Swyping when typing is actually a great feature and I miss that sometimes on the Z10. I switch between my Z10 and Sony Z Ultra so I get the best of both worlds.
    03-03-14 12:18 PM
    Swyping when typing is actually a great feature and I miss that sometimes on the Z10. I switch between my Z10 and Sony Z Ultra so I get the best of both worlds.
    I wouldn't trade bb10 typing for anything! I'm actively writing my thesis on my Z30!

03-03-14 01:12 PM
    Just to show how good battery life can be on Android.

I pulled it from charger at 94% charge. So not quite full.

Even though the battery is not even double the size I easily get at least triple the battery life compared to my Z10. Probably even more. The screen is also 6.4" with 1080p resolution.

3 hours screen time and 34% battery lost. And that's with playing emulator, surfing some and playing a lot of music the time the screen has been off.

I've literally not been able to kill the battery on this phone in one day yet no matter what I do.

Sent from my Sony Z Ultra
    03-03-14 03:55 PM
    Just to show how good battery life can be on Android.

I pulled it from charger at 94% charge. So not quite full.

Even though the battery is not even double the size I easily get at least triple the battery life compared to my Z10. Probably even more. The screen is also 6.4" with 1080p resolution.

3 hours screen time and 34% battery lost. And that's with playing emulator, surfing some and playing a lot of music the time the screen has been off.

I've literally not been able to kill the battery on this phone in one day yet no matter what I do.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/04/u3yzasyz.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/04/y9eqezet.jpg

Sent from my Sony Z Ultra
    This is more a testament to Sony than Android. Sony phones have a much better battery life than Samsung (think Z1 vs S4 or Note 3). It's hard to say "Android" phones are ______ about anything since each manufacturer's model is vastly different from the next.

03-03-14 05:51 PM
    This is more a testament to Sony than Android. Sony phones have a much better battery life than Samsung (think Z1 vs S4 or Note 3). It's hard to say "Android" phones are ______ about anything since each manufacturer's model is vastly different from the next.

I completely agree. There definitely are differences between the different android vendors.
    03-03-14 05:58 PM
    I hear ya... outside swiping, I love the Z10 keyboard. Great keyboard.

Wish i could get those Sonys on CDMA...
    03-03-14 06:12 PM
    The browser on the Z10 is hands down best in terms of speed. It's also the only one that can handle flash.

I've used my brothers S4 and love the screen and camera. I also like all the cool gadgets and customization it offers.

Nothing has ever come close to beating any BlackBerry for email, IM, and security.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    Last edited by crazigee; 03-03-14 at 07:07 PM.
    03-03-14 06:43 PM
42 12