When talking about battery life, one often hears the tip to turn off LTE in ones settings to save battery juice. What I am wondering now: how big is the actual difference between 3G and 4G LTE in terms of battery consumtion? Can any of you give any numbers on this (or at least some observations)?
    03-19-13 06:42 AM
    +1 Yes, i want know too.

STL100-1 vs STL100-2,3 Battery Comsumption
    03-19-13 06:47 AM
    I turn off LTE but i don't use 3G. I use HSPA+ (4G) on the Koodo network. With LTE I got at most 7hrs of battery life. With 4G I get 24hrs sometimes even more. And trust me, my 4G is not slow my any means

Posted via CB10 using BBZ10
    03-19-13 06:53 AM
    Where is the option to turn off LTE? I don't see it in settings anywhere.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-13 07:04 AM
    Depending on what carrier you are with you may not see it. But here is how you get to it.

1) swipe down from top and hit settings,
    2) hit network connections
    3) mobile network
    and then under network technology you should have an option to change it. I have mine set to HSPA+ and UMTS
    03-19-13 07:08 AM
    Same here. Only need LTE if you are in a rush to download a large file. Hope you have a good data plan if that's you

Voice will not be affected by using less than LTE.

HSPA + / UMTS works great!

Posted from my Z10
    03-19-13 07:36 AM
    I don't have my Z10 here in the US yet, but will seldom even be in an area where LTE is available (am mostly in frontier areas). It helps to downgrade so your phone is not always searching if you are in such areas.
    03-19-13 08:01 AM
    I never actually used LTE on the Z10 because I disabled it to save battery power. 3G / H+ appears to be really fast enough for 99% of things I do with my mobile browser.
    03-19-13 08:18 AM
    Can't wait for my battery charger bundle to arrive.. that will help a lot!

Posted via CB10
    03-19-13 08:25 AM
    In theory at modem idle states LTE and HSPA+ should have about the same power draw on the S4. Using LTE will generally give you a large battery advantage though because the modem can wake, download/upload data, and then go back to a lower power sleep mode. Some phones like the iPhone 5 w/ it's integrated radio see double the battery life in web browsing with LTE. Other phones using our same chipset like the HTC One XL average a 25-30% increase. This is of course assuming you're not dropping your LTE signal often. For myself where I have a consistent 2-5 bars of LTE I won't be turning it off.
    03-19-13 08:47 AM
    In theory at modem idle states LTE and HSPA+ should have about the same power draw on the S4. Using LTE will generally give you a large battery advantage though because the modem can wake, download/upload data, and then go back to a lower power sleep mode. Some phones like the iPhone 5 w/ it's integrated radio see double the battery life in web browsing with LTE. Other phones using our same chipset like the HTC One XL average a 25-30% increase. This is of course assuming you're not dropping your LTE signal often. For myself where I have a consistent 2-5 bars of LTE I won't be turning it off.
    Ok so you are saying that LTE will actually increase battery life?
    03-19-13 08:53 AM
    There's too many different assumptions here
    Can we uniform it so 4G is LTE and 3g is Hpsa and below.
    Atm some people are talking as if Hpsa is 4G while others are assuming that only LTE counts as 4g.
    Therefore there will be lots of confusion until people are singing from the same sheet

Posted via CB10
    03-19-13 09:06 AM
    With updates I am getting 20-24 hours with Rogers LTE. On 4G I get about 36 hours. I am using LTE most of the time now, so long as I get through the day I'm happy and I LOVE the speed!

Posted via CB10
    03-19-13 09:21 AM
    Ok so you are saying that LTE will actually increase battery life?
    That is a possibility as LTE radios and the software that runs them get more efficient. Same as Edge/3G. Edge used to be easier on battery life when 3G was new. Now, 3G is more efficient than Edge and no one recommends turning to Edge to increase battery life.

That's not to say that that is necessarily the case with the Z10 right now, but the difference may be less than you think, and will get smaller.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-13 09:22 AM
    Is there any way to set a short cut to enable either 3G or 4G/LTE rather than having to through the options?
    05-08-13 06:52 PM
    I turn off LTE but i don't use 3G. I use HSPA+ (4G) on the Koodo network. With LTE I got at most 7hrs of battery life. With 4G I get 24hrs sometimes even more. And trust me, my 4G is not slow my any means

Posted via CB10 using BBZ10
    I do the same with Rogers.

It's a shame because LTE is amazing but it just kills battery life.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 07:07 PM
    LTE on days I know I'll be getting to a charger within 12 hours and 4G on days I won't be hitting a charger for 13+ hours.

I get 10-12 hours out of LTE enabled usage whereas I've maxed out at 26 hours on 4G hitting 1%
    05-08-13 07:50 PM
    Don't quote me on this, but I don't think it's to do with 3G vs 4G vs LTE in terms of different bands.
    I think it's more about the amount of signal received, and how hard your phone searches for that signal. Obviously 2G/3G is now widespread, 4G catched on and LTE is still rolling out tower by tower.

For example, city centres with highly populated areas have LTE coverage where my Z10 will show all 5/5 bars.
    At my house, it'll be 3/5, and sometimes it'll drop down to 4G because some parts of my house won't receive the LTE signal.

The more the Z10 (or any smartphone for that matter) continues to search for the best frequency to stay on, the more battery is used.
    jonno_atamaniuk likes this.
    05-08-13 07:54 PM
    Verizon won't let us turn off the LTE, but my battery life has been fine so far. In the two weeks I have had my phone I have only been without LTE once, and that was on the bottom floor of the mall. Coming from Sprint where the network was marginal at best I could not be happier with Verizon's network. My battery life is just fine. To be fair though, I have wifi at home and both of my jobs, so I don't have to rely on the mobile network very often.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 08:28 PM
    I found 3G service to be good enough for me. I did not see any advantage with the 4G service, unless I wanted to watch HD movies, stream live media, or download large files to the phone. I am very active on the phone for many emails, a lot of talking, and some web browsing. I found with the phone working at the equivalent of 3G the battery life improved by at least 20% or a bit better. I also leave the WiFi turned off. I don't trust public WiFi, unless I personally know the owner of the system. WiFi is too easy to monitor user activity for someone who knows how, and has the proper software installed in his computer.
    05-08-13 08:53 PM
    Signal searching is definitely a drain on the battery. I get 0 to 1 bars at work and my battery drains quickly. At home and when out I get good battery life.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 11:21 PM
    to combine two answers to give something more accurate, in theory LTE SHOULD be more efficient because there isn't nearly as much time spent communicating with the towers to actually send data back and forth. Latency is incredibly low, meaning shorter "wait" times, kinda like switching from DSL to Fibre Optic. All these things technically add up to better battery life. The problem is, depending on where in the world you are, LTE frequencies may not be as penetrating as one would hope, an issue that will pop up more with the 2600 MHz spectrum Rogers is currently using for their LTE Max network in Toronto (100Mbps peak downlink vs 70Mbps peak downlink on 1700 MHz AWS) . Because a frequency may not be as penetrating or have as much of a long reach as other frequencies, the signal reception on different devices can vary depending on where you are, and a change in frequency by even one bar can have an impact on your battery life. In an area of full service, one may see battery life almost equal that of their HSPA devices, but step into an area of anything under four bars of service and the quality of battery life can begin to drop off significantly. This isn't exclusive to the BlackBerry devices, this is how it is with any given LTE phone, including the iPhone 5 (which I watched drop from full battery to 40% over the course of an afternoon sitting idle on a desk doing absolutely nothing).

The main reason why people suggest turning off the LTE on the Z10 is because on networks that support HSPA-DC (Dual-Carrier), the Z10 still achieves peak speeds of 42 Mbps without taking a hit of any sort in battery life because the frequencies used for HSPA (and HSPA-DC where available) are almost universally great for penetrating buildings and also getting a decent range out from the tower (if I'm wrong on that, feel free to correct me, just speaking from experience). Two benefits, and still a respectably fast data connection. Latency is obviously higher than LTE, but from personal experience with the HSPA-DC network it's still incredibly fast for many people's purposes.
    clegg#AC likes this.
    05-09-13 12:27 AM