So I just upgraded my Z10 to 10.1.0.4651. I couldn't wait for Verizon any more. I now have "forever" as an option to sync email on my Exchange 2007 server.

I tried the forever option, but it didn't seem to work well downloading all emails (they go back to 2008) because it never even finished after many hours. And it never even synced my current emails fully. Then I got to thinking why do I want five-year-old emails on my phone? I want the ability to search for old emails, but not have many thousands of emails to bog down the phone.

So I switched back to 30-day sync and I was hoping I could search remotely beyond 30 days. I was very disappointed to find out that I could NOT search beyond 30 days. Am I doing something wrong or is this really how BlackBerry intends this to work?
    07-19-13 12:38 PM
    Nope, that's pretty much how it was intended.
    07-19-13 12:41 PM
    Was the "forever" option in any of the previous OSs? I'm on 10.1.0.2019 and I can't find that option.
    07-19-13 06:25 PM
    Was the "forever" option in any of the previous OSs? I'm on 10.1.0.2019 and I can't find that option.
    I believe it was added to the 10.1.0.4XXX leaks.
    ShoshiOne likes this.
    07-19-13 06:29 PM
    Well then I'm confused what the point of "remote search" is. I don't see how this would ever be used if you can only search for emails on your phone. So my choices are 30 days sync but no search function, or sync five years to be able to search only on the phone itself. Hmm...

Maybe if you have 7 days synced you can remote search up to 30? The concept of how this is setup seems flawed.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-13 06:52 PM
    I guess it might depend on the server configuration. I have been able to search past 30 days for Hotmail. I sync another EAS account on forever, but that doesn't have more than a few hundred emails.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    07-19-13 07:02 PM
    Two thoughts, maybe questions. Can you not access your exchange server via the web? I can, realize that not all are equal. 2nd, can you not clean-up / archive old mail less likely to be needed remotely? My company just blasted out that they are archiving older email on their end to recover server space. I'd bet we all have some serious cobwebs in our Exchange server in boxes.

Reduce the size of your mail box and return to forever sync. Worked wonders for me and my battery.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-13 07:48 PM
    DocDRM - good points. I can access Outlook OWA, however the other day in the car I had to look up an old email. OWA does not work well on the small phone screen, so I pulled out my Android tablet (which is synced only 14 days) and was able to search the server remotely. To me that's how it should work.

Also I could probably use some mailbox cleanup, but I just never know when I might need to find that one email when I'm on the road.

Posted via CB10
    lotuslanderz likes this.
    07-19-13 09:09 PM
    I hear the search on server feature is coming. Hopefully in 10.2.

- aBBuser
    07-19-13 10:02 PM
    Remote search requires specifics on the server side, and only works with certain implementations of exchange. Exchange 2010 and later maybe?

I too would prefer a fully function server side search function to having to sync 10 years worth of email, but someone I don't they'll ever get it working with Google Apps, so i have gone with the forever option. It takes about 24 hours to fully sync in my case. I'm sure that's diffrent for all depending how much mail you have on the server.

I do wish there was a 1 year and 2 year option for sync, 30 days is too short, forever seems a bit too long.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-13 11:50 PM
    Forever works great on all my email/gmail accounts. Verizon Z10 10.1.0.4651...
    07-20-13 12:08 AM
    I have two EAS accounts, 1 IMAP on my device. Search on server doesn't work on IMAP. It does work on 1 of the two ActiveSync accounts, after I bribed a guy in our IT Dept. with a box of doughnuts to make the adjustment.
    07-21-13 10:01 AM
    With the 30 day settings, search on server does Not work past 30 days. This is using EAS at work. Using the same settings, search on server works on my iPhone 4, so it's not a server setting but a BB10 issue. I'm on 10.1.0.2014 from Telus.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-13 10:29 AM
    It is only available at first setup...not an option to forever sync once you set up your email account

Posted via CB10
    07-21-13 10:53 AM
    It is only available at first setup...not an option to forever sync once you set up your email account

Posted via CB10
    That is only true of Imap accounts, if you'd like to change the initial sync period you must delete the account and re-add it. For active sync accounts however, you can adjust the sync period at any time, and it will Re sync.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-13 12:38 PM
    I too would prefer a fully function server side search function to having to sync 10 years worth of email, but someone I don't they'll ever get it working with Google Apps, so i have gone with the forever option. It takes about 24 hours to fully sync in my case. I'm sure that's diffrent for all depending how much mail you have on the server.

What is the effect on your battery life, storage space and device responsiveness of a forever sync with thousands of messages? I'm tempted to enable it for my Yahoo and Gmail accounts, but it might be asking to get pwned.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    07-21-13 07:10 PM
    What is the effect on your battery life, storage space and device responsiveness of a forever sync with thousands of messages? I'm tempted to enable it for my Yahoo and Gmail accounts, but it might be asking to get pwned.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    I haven't noticed any degradation at all since I began syncing My Gmail account "forever". I already had 2 EAS accounts set to the same. I should also state that I'm pretty ruthless with my email. On my Gmail account (my main personal one), I have a total of about 400 that are 2012 to 2004.

Lovin' the Z | Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.4651
    07-21-13 07:27 PM

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    The first 24 hours are rough.. device runs hot, you can almost watch the battery drain, sluggish as all hell. After that it goes right back to normal, I've noticed no long term adverse affect on performance or battery life, my device runs great and I've got over 20 thousand messages in my inbox. I don't delete anything.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-13 07:39 PM
    Went to "forever" on my exchange account.. battery drained very quickly throughout the entire sync and I had to recharge in order to finish the process.

Once complete all my emails were indeed on my phone, but with a catch: there was a bizarre delay syncing new messages. Had to revert back to a 30 day sync.

Somewhat disappointing as I often refer back to client emails from several years back. My account has any thousands of messages going back to 2007, for whatever that's worth.

Perhaps this issue will resolve itself with a future os update.

Cheers

Posted via CB10
    07-21-13 07:52 PM
    With the 30 day settings, search on server does Not work past 30 days. This is using EAS at work. Using the same settings, search on server works on my iPhone 4, so it's not a server setting but a BB10 issue. I'm on 10.1.0.2014 from Telus.

Posted via CB10
    Same experience for me with my Galaxy Tab 3. Server search works fine past 30 days.
    07-22-13 08:02 AM