04-19-13 11:03 AM
90 1234
tools
    I have a Verizion Z10 purchased in San Diego, California. My phone has automatically rebooted a few times over the past 2 1/2 weeks, but only once while I was looking at it (I keep checking the "last reboot" date and time in Settings). What was happening for me though was 1) I had no notification sounds 2) the screen would intermittently glow, showing the lock screen, for no reason (no incoming call or message) and 3) eerily multiplying contacts - in fact new ones of each one were appearing daily.

I think I may have figured out what was going on this morning (I hope). I kept on seeing Verizon's Backup Assistant in the My World section of BB World request to upgrade the app (from 2.0.0.30 to 2.0.0.40). It won't upgrade, instead it's stuck in an endless loop so I gave up. I decided to try and delete the app. Later on, I checked for an OS upgrade (I'm doing this neurotically hoping Verizon will come through) and alas, a prompt to upgrade the OS- however of course to the same version and only 1 mb of data - obviously this idiotic app which must be required. I "upgraded" and it reinstalled the application - however now it installed the updated app (version 2.0.0.40) which I could not do via BB World.
    Once the phone rebooted, no more screen glowing, all my notification sounds came back and ALL MY DUPLICATE CONTACTS WERE GONE! And so far no auto reboots (but I only did this about 5 hours ago).

It is my opinion that this version of Verizon Backup Assistant (2.0.0.30) is causing our Verizon Z10's all of this hassle. I suggest trying the following:
    1. Delete the Verizion Backup Assistant app - either by long pressing it or through BB World.
    2. Do a battery pull
    3. Go to Settings > Software Updates and Check for Updates.
    4. You should be prompted to upgrade, but it's very small and the same version. Perform the upgrade.
    5. Do a battery pull again (not sure if this is necessary, but I did it). You will now have the updated version of this app circumventing BB World.

It worked for me. It's worth a try, yes?
    Last edited by rickkel; 04-16-13 at 04:58 PM.
    moyjoy likes this.
    04-16-13 04:46 PM
    Here's what you can try.
    A few months ago, there was a batch of leaks of os 10.0.10.xxx (before .88)
    Download the one for your device and give those a go. No one really had significant issues with reboots on OS's before the current .88 (or the carrier equivalents)
    Even go if 10.0.9 if you want to give it a try
    Install it clean and see if it reboots. If it does, it may be a hardware component. But I've had the Z10 for 2 months now, and haven't had that problem before. Mind you mine is a 100-3. Only time it has ever restarted was because of a faulty sideloaded program that caused it to freeze, and after 10 seconds, the Z10 rebooted itself.
    moyjoy likes this.
    04-16-13 04:54 PM
    No reboots for me - Rogers, Adata 32gb class 10, lots of apps - side loaded and otherwise. Verizon really seems to be the common denominator amongst all the reboot threads here. Maybe its the carrier components of the OS, but some VZN users are claiming to have fixed their issues with everything from reboots, app deletes and SD or SIM replacements. I also recall a thread where someone says BB removed corrupted data from there backup which fixed their issues... I hope BB is looking into this, as the problem not only tarnishes the rep of their device but seems to cause much issue on CB!
    04-16-13 05:06 PM
    Thanks guys. I'm going to try a wipe and restore now.

Tomorrow if it's still the rebooting I'll try the new sim as well.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 06:11 PM
    That really sucks!! If your not on a contract i would recommend switching to a different carrier. Verizon seems to have the most reboot issues!!
    04-16-13 06:14 PM
    This is sabotage!

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 06:16 PM
    You should try it without a SDHC card and see what happens if you haven't already.
    moyjoy likes this.
    04-16-13 06:32 PM
    I think it's just Verizon that's been a mess, sure other z10s have issues being a new OS and all, but Verizon seems to be having the most issues, well I'm just making that generalization from the many issues people post about here that are vzw related.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 06:38 PM
    I have a Verizion Z10 purchased in San Diego, California. My phone has automatically rebooted a few times over the past 2 1/2 weeks, but only once while I was looking at it (I keep checking the "last reboot" date and time in Settings). What was happening for me though was 1) I had no notification sounds 2) the screen would intermittently glow, showing the lock screen, for no reason (no incoming call or message) and 3) eerily multiplying contacts - in fact new ones of each one were appearing daily.

I think I may have figured out what was going on this morning (I hope). I kept on seeing Verizon's Backup Assistant in the My World section of BB World request to upgrade the app (from 2.0.0.30 to 2.0.0.40). It won't upgrade, instead it's stuck in an endless loop so I gave up. I decided to try and delete the app. Later on, I checked for an OS upgrade (I'm doing this neurotically hoping Verizon will come through) and alas, a prompt to upgrade the OS- however of course to the same version and only 1 mb of data - obviously this idiotic app which must be required. I "upgraded" and it reinstalled the application - however now it installed the updated app (version 2.0.0.40) which I could not do via BB World.
    Once the phone rebooted, no more screen glowing, all my notification sounds came back and ALL MY DUPLICATE CONTACTS WERE GONE! And so far no auto reboots (but I only did this about 5 hours ago).

It is my opinion that this version of Verizon Backup Assistant (2.0.0.30) is causing our Verizon Z10's all of this hassle. I suggest trying the following:
    1. Delete the Verizion Backup Assistant app - either by long pressing it or through BB World.
    2. Do a battery pull
    3. Go to Settings > Software Updates and Check for Updates.
    4. You should be prompted to upgrade, but it's very small and the same version. Perform the upgrade.
    5. Do a battery pull again (not sure if this is necessary, but I did it). You will now have the updated version of this app circumventing BB World.

It worked for me. It's worth a try, yes?
    You don't need to do a"Battery Pull " with QNX, it's designed to be rebooted by pushing and holding the power button and select reboot.

Posted from my Z10. via CB10
    04-16-13 06:59 PM
    Just wait for the update....thats the excuse?
    What do YOU suggest?
    moyjoy likes this.
    04-17-13 04:53 AM
    I am on VZW and was having rebooting issues. I first restored the os and then restored my backed up data. Still rebooted occasionally. I then restored the OS and formatted my media card in the z10 and did not restore my data via link. My reboots have stopped. It appears for me that it was either some garbage in the backup file or media card.
    How did you get your contact information back on your phone?
    04-17-13 07:23 AM
    OP this was mentioned in some thread before, not sure if its mentioned in this one though. How often does it reboot? can you try using your phone with the radio switched off (just wifi) for a day or two and see if its still the same?
    moyjoy likes this.
    04-17-13 07:38 AM
    No reboots for me - Rogers, Adata 32gb class 10, lots of apps - side loaded and otherwise. Verizon really seems to be the common denominator amongst all the reboot threads here. Maybe its the carrier components of the OS, but some VZN users are claiming to have fixed their issues with everything from reboots, app deletes and SD or SIM replacements. I also recall a thread where someone says BB removed corrupted data from there backup which fixed their issues... I hope BB is looking into this, as the problem not only tarnishes the rep of their device but seems to cause much issue on CB!
    I use an AData 32GB class 10 card on Rogers and have only one restart in 25+ days. I also think that my newly acquired Rogers micro SIM helps. Pretty sure my one reboot was from installing, trying, and removing a lot of apps in BlackBerry World

Posted Via CB10 on my Zed10
    04-17-13 09:34 AM
    This is sabotage!
    Um, what?

OP this was mentioned in some thread before, not sure if its mentioned in this one though. How often does it reboot? can you try using your phone with the radio switched off (just wifi) for a day or two and see if its still the same?
    It reboots on average 4 times a day. I don't think I could live wifi only that long. I've just done the wipe though and we'll see how that goes.

You should try it without a SDHC card and see what happens if you haven't already.
    Gave this a shot as well. No go. I knew before trying though that it most likely wouldn't help because my 1st Z10 was rebooting before I even put a card in it.

That really sucks!! If your not on a contract i would recommend switching to a different carrier. Verizon seems to have the most reboot issues!!
    That's pretty extreme. Verizon has the most, but certainly not the only. For all we know there could just be a higher amount of Verizon Z10 Customers. I don't think anyone has done a basic carrier poll. I've been a Verizon customer for years and I'm pleased with their services.
    04-17-13 09:46 PM
    The reboots have happened to me as well. One thing I have noticed is that the recent reboots have occurred when I was in the Hub, looking at Facebook notifications.

WiFi wasn't a factor since one of the reboots occurred while I was on the Verizon network while I had WiFi disabled.

I do have a 64GB Card. Bluetooth was disabled.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 09:57 PM
    Did you try this One settings-info-network- the 3 dotts Down right and press register.
    After that a restart???
    04-18-13 06:06 AM
    Just tried the above suggestion. Also, I've been having my Z10 freeze and reboot while composing a text lately. My SanDisk Class 10 SD card will be here tomorrow. I plan on wiping my phone, reloading the os, dropping my card in and reformatting it. I won't be using Link to restore a backup. Will post back on the results.

Posted via Zeppelin
    04-18-13 06:14 AM
    Just tried the above suggestion. Also, I've been having my Z10 freeze and reboot while composing a text lately. My SanDisk Class 10 SD card will be here tomorrow. I plan on wiping my phone, reloading the os, dropping my card in and reformatting it. I won't be using Link to restore a backup. Will post back on the results.

Posted via Zeppelin
    So than you can also Check to go settings-Security-simcard- and add your number like +..... My Friends reboot stop After he added his nummber there.... Good luck and Let us know
    04-18-13 06:25 AM
    What is it with this reboot, I've had my Z10 since 1st day of issue by Tel us here in Canada and mine has never once randomly rebooted, is it carrier specific?

Posted via CB10
    04-18-13 06:25 AM
    What is it with this reboot, I've had my Z10 since 1st day of issue by Tel us here in Canada and mine has never once randomly rebooted, is it carrier specific?

Posted via CB10
    I think if you find the answers to this question your Name will stay for ever in golden letters on many ppls mind
    04-18-13 06:36 AM
    I'm on AT&T. Got my phone yesterday. Had my first reboot today. I was texting a friend. After the message sent, my screen froze, then it rebooted itself. Thankfully, it didn't take too long. I was hoping to be one of those people that don't have any reboot issues. Sigh. First reboot on my second day.
    04-18-13 07:04 AM
    What do YOU suggest?
    Exactly what i already said....wait for the update....i think BB will release soon, just the fast like Playbook?
    Unless there's a new excuse for BB these days.....just seems everyone will side with BB and defend them, great I don't have an issue with that...but really then going on to bash Apple or Android about things....virtually the same thing? Whats the point. Its not being constructive.
    Just a lame excuse everyone has for BB, keep waiting....its a shame cause its a good phone.
    04-18-13 08:29 AM
    Hey,

I think the jury is still out on whether this is a hardware or software issue. There are many threads about sim cards, memory cards and gremlins, but the truth of the matter is that we have to wait for verizon to update the phone and see if the issues go away. Many who dont have reboots are not on Verizon, so i do believe this to be something related to the out of date version of the OS that VZW has released the phone with.

Just stick in there if you can, im sure a fix is coming at some point.... I returned mine because with the 14 day love it or leave it option I didnt want to take a gamble.
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    04-18-13 08:35 AM
    On VZW, had my third random reboot yesterday in a week. Only occurs overnight, I can tell right off the bat bc when I unlock my phone, I have no active frames. As long as it occurs overnight its not bothering me too much.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-13 08:48 AM
    On VZW, had my third random reboot yesterday in a week. Only occurs overnight, I can tell right off the bat bc when I unlock my phone, I have no active frames. As long as it occurs overnight its not bothering me too much.

Posted via CB10
    Mine reboots almost every night. I loaded a leaked OS on it and had my first reboot after going about 40 hours without one. I might try an exchange but I feel it's a software issue as it's so random.
    04-18-13 09:58 AM
90 1234