I ordered five ( 5 ) yes 5 new ear speakers from etrade supply for the Z10 - and 5 yes all 5 speakers blew out on me one after another. There clearly must have been some thing wrong during the manufacturing process of that particular lot or batch cause this is just crazy.
    I noticed on CCpart.ca that the speaker for bold 9900 looks the same as the Z10 so out of desperation I ordered one and to my surprise it works. The only problem is that it doesn't sound quite right - it does not give off deep sound (bass) like all the previous speakers did .
    So DO I order a new batch from etrade supply and keep my fingers crossed that I'll get a good batch this time?
    This is just killing me that I've changed soo many speakers on this phone and not had if for even 1 year yet.
    To make matters worse one work associate sent his Z10 in for repair through rogers warranty and said his speaker is acting up again.
    Its a great phone but unfortunately I'm having a tough time with one of the most basic functions a phone is expected to perform.
    11-17-13 07:11 PM
    I wonder if it's possible to get "OEM" speakers, or at least an improved "aftermarket" part to replace the defective ones....

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 07:10 AM
    My has been working fine since install from ETRADE SUPPLY.

Had to change another one for a guy at work, it's dead set 15 mins and back to new again. He was impressed at the difference. His started to fail after the phone was dropped, no physical damage but the speakers seem fragile. Sound great when 100% though :-)

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    11-19-13 04:11 AM
    Previously I have the speaker blown issue with my Z10. However, during Christmas I switched my carrier from Wind Mobile to Virgin Mobile. Fortunately, what surprised me is that the blown sound problem disappeared. So I believe the problem is caused by the radio frequency of Wind Mobile was not fully tested on Z10, and there is some interference for their frequency with some internal components. Hope this can help others.
    02-08-14 01:23 PM
    I had to security wipe my Z10 a couple of months ago and my ear speaker problem went away, but has slowly returned. I'm not so convinced it's a hardware issue now. Any ideas? I did not do a restore after wiping because I did not want a return of the issue that causes me to wipe in the first place.

Posted via CB10
    02-08-14 02:21 PM
    I had to security wipe my Z10 a couple of months ago and my ear speaker problem went away, but has slowly returned. I'm not so convinced it's a hardware issue now. Any ideas? I did not do a restore after wiping because I did not want a return of the issue that causes me to wipe in the first place.

Posted via CB10
    I Tried security wipe yesterday. The problem is still the same so i don't think its software problem. It is my 2nd ear speaker blow. I will try to send them back to RIM like the previous repair. They send me back a new Z10 after 3 week. I work close of big magnetic feild ( soldering machine, electrical testing equipment over 230kv etc ) so probably the problem is in this way. My phone is alway in my pocket and protect with a case. No metal chip or big dust exposition.

It was very frustrating with a phone of over 400$ and a ear speaker of 1.68$....
    02-21-14 09:01 AM
    I Tried security wipe yesterday. The problem is still the same so i don't think its software problem. It is my 2nd ear speaker blow. I will try to send them back to RIM like the previous repair. They send me back a new Z10 after 3 week. I work close of big magnetic feild ( soldering machine, electrical testing equipment over 230kv etc ) so probably the problem is in this way. My phone is alway in my pocket and protect with a case. No metal chip or big dust exposition.

It was very frustrating with a phone of over 400$ and a ear speaker of 1.68$....
    My speaker when on call was blown too. When on call it was muffled at medium volume. It was under the year warranty so I got it fixed. But I'm afraid to put the volume any higher cause it seems like it will happen again. Obviously this is a quality control issue as other ppl have had the same issue. I don't play music on my phone just use it for calls so there was no abuse there.

BlackBerry obviously didn't do enough quality control.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-14 09:27 AM
    My speaker when on call was blown too. When on call it was muffled at medium volume. It was under the year warranty so I got it fixed. But I'm afraid to put the volume any higher cause it seems like it will happen again. Obviously this is a quality control issue as other ppl have had the same issue. I don't play music on my phone just use it for calls so there was no abuse there.

BlackBerry obviously didn't do enough quality control.

Posted via CB10
    Playing music would not affect the ear piece since music and video audio is played through the loudspeaker (speakerphone).

Posted via CB10
    02-21-14 09:42 AM

Did you restore your settings after the security wipe? I did not because I wasn't sure if my issue was something bad that had been put on the phone over time. My issue that caused me to wipe it was unrelated to the ear piece issue. Slowly, the ear speaker issue returned however. My thinking is, if it were a hardware issue, the issue could not be fixed by cleaning out the software by wiping it. Another person in this thread switched carriers and it fixed their issue. I'm wondering if I switch the radio file if it might fix the issue with my device...hmm...

Posted via CB10
    02-21-14 09:50 AM
    Been welding for a decade myself. The legacy devices lasted longer speaker wise. Had z10 since it came out. Lost count of replacement phones. Would love to hear how I can keep the dust out from other welders since they don't make jack for cases like they do other phones

Posted via CB10
    07-20-14 05:39 PM
    Been welding for a decade myself. The legacy devices lasted longer speaker wise. Had z10 since it came out. Lost count of replacement phones. Would love to hear how I can keep the dust out from other welders since they don't make jack for cases like they do other phones

Posted via CB10
    I had the issue with both my 9550 and 9850 as well as my Z10. One thing guys at my work have done is put their phones in zip lock baggies that fit nicely and allow you to use the screen. I think my Z10 was a little too big for the baggies as most phones now are. But if one doesn't mind that the bag doesn't fit tight, it does keep the dust out while allowing usage of the screen. I just never kept up with it. It never got to the point of being nearly unusable with the Z10 like it did with the the 9550 and 9850 at times.
    07-20-14 09:43 PM
61 123